News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strega ARC  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Strega ARC
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:17 PM »
Yep, I did a search, but the answers are all over the place.  I will be replacing the entire control system with Tom Morris equipment, ball links etc., and it will be finished with polyspan on the open bays, silkspan on the fuselage and F.G. on the nose.

Now I need to know if there are any structural changes needed?  I remember that the ARF has too sharp a LE.  Being an ARC I can fix that easily.  Anything else I need to know?  Power will probably be a ST .60.

Thanks for your answers!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: Strega ARC
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
This is what I did with mine:
Rounded the LE as much as possible, made new flaps did not taper, and left T.E. as square.
Fibreglass the flap (wish I had some Howard Torque tubes ;) )

I truly enjoyed the Strega ARC.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Thanks, Martin.  I am considering whether or not to convert it to fuselage mounted LG.  We fly off ball fields most of the time.

What did you use for power?

thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
Hi  Bill,

It is an Enya 61CX ABN.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 12:05:24 AM »
Yep, I did a search, but the answers are all over the place.  I will be replacing the entire control system with Tom Morris equipment, ball links etc., and it will be finished with polyspan on the open bays, silkspan on the fuselage and F.G. on the nose.

Now I need to know if there are any structural changes needed?  I remember that the ARF has too sharp a LE.  Being an ARC I can fix that easily.  Anything else I need to know?  Power will probably be a ST .60.

I would pay particular attention to the connection and fit of the belly pan to the aft plywood former that is right in front of the wing. This is a severe weak point if you are not careful. The one I worked on was an ARF so I couldn't do this, but on an ARC I would suggest building some reinforcement across the joint - like a few 1/8 square spruce stock let into the sides and bottom, and glued to the doublers.

The rest of it I wouldn't venture a guess. Certainly round off the LE as much as possible, and on an ARC I might be tempted to glue on a temporary stiffeners along the LE about 3/4 from the front, on the outside of the sheeting, and cut about 1/2-3/4 off the entire leading edge and rebuild it with 1/2 inch balsa butt glued to the ribs.  Then reshape it.  You need the stiffeners to keep the sheeting from ballooning up between the rib because it will be unsupported. Then just cut/plane/sand them off afterwards. Should also be able to fix any built-in warps pretty easily once the LE is gone.

Brett
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:24:54 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Brett.  One question I wanted to ask and forgot was, "Has anyone used the crimped leadouts with out problems?  With the BC mounted like it is, I don't know for sure that I will cut into the wing and replace the BC/leadouts if they are ok to use as is. ???

Thanks, again!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
Hi Bill
The lead outs are fine, but definitely do what Brett says.
Have fun

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:45:09 PM »
Bill

Are your leadouts crimped? I have done 4 strega arf & arc's and they have all had wrapped leadouts. Entire control system was kind of stuff you would do yourself.

bob branch

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
Bill

Are your leadouts crimped? I have done 4 strega arf & arc's and they have all had wrapped leadouts. Entire control system was kind of stuff you would do yourself.

bob branch

Hi Bob,

Yes they are crimped at both ends.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Brett.  One question I wanted to ask and forgot was, "Has anyone used the crimped leadouts with out problems?  With the BC mounted like it is, I don't know for sure that I will cut into the wing and replace the BC/leadouts if they are ok to use as is. ???

I think Unknown Pilots #1 and #2 used them as they came. That's one good thing about the Strega, it seemed like the controls were adequate as long as you weren't going to put 1000 flights on it.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I removed the BC and will change to wrapped leadouts. 

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
The Stregas that I've seen get a pretty serious stress crack in the fuse at the high point of the wing.  There is not o whole lot of meat at this point in the fuse, and the one that I saw had an Evo 60 which is a pretty smooth runner and the ship did not have a whole lot of flights on it.  So I would suggest that you refer to the Strega article in FM where Windy suggests fiberglassing the nose with Sig epoxy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
The Stregas that I've seen get a pretty serious stress crack in the fuse at the high point of the wing.  There is not o whole lot of meat at this point in the fuse, and the one that I saw had an Evo 60 which is a pretty smooth runner and the ship did not have a whole lot of flights on it.  So I would suggest that you refer to the Strega article in FM where Windy suggests fiberglassing the nose with Sig epoxy.

Thanks, Joseph.  With a model that size I use internal wood fillets plus .5 oz. FG with Z-Poxy back past the high point.  I just got the bell crank out and am rewiring it, then I will have to figure the easiest way to get it back in.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Rakes

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »
Hi Bill. Good to see you and Aaron at Huntersville. I had a couple of these and Kent helped me with the first one.  First I got channel locks and pulled all that exhaust channel crap out of there. When you twist on the exhaust ports it will sound brutal but both times it all came out OK. You will have plenty of room for whatever size tank. Replaced the flaps as previous post said to. The ones provided are just to flimsy. I didn't face any stress cracks like said earlier but definitely brace the area at the leading edge and the fuse. Also I used triangle stock everywhere in the nose around the tank area to strengthen where I pulled the exhaust channels out. Had to make longer landing gear as I was swinging 14 inch prop with Rojet 76. The leading edge is sharp and plane down that sharp edge but you can't drive much. I didn't do this but wonder if you just replace with triangle for a new leading edge would be the best thing you could do. Any advise on strengthening the fuse at leading edge would be smart.  I heard some separated in flight.
John Rakes

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
Thanks, Martin.  I am considering whether or not to convert it to fuselage mounted LG.  We fly off ball fields most of the time.

What did you use for power?

thanks!
Bill

Use both, Bill. Use the fuse gear for grass fields, and make a set to use in the wings. I did that on my Golden Falcon. Worked pretty well.
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
Hi Bill. Good to see you and Aaron at Huntersville. I had a couple of these and Kent helped me with the first one.  First I got channel locks and pulled all that exhaust channel crap out of there. When you twist on the exhaust ports it will sound brutal but both times it all came out OK. You will have plenty of room for whatever size tank. Replaced the flaps as previous post said to. The ones provided are just to flimsy. I didn't face any stress cracks like said earlier but definitely brace the area at the leading edge and the fuse. Also I used triangle stock everywhere in the nose around the tank area to strengthen where I pulled the exhaust channels out. Had to make longer landing gear as I was swinging 14 inch prop with Rojet 76. The leading edge is sharp and plane down that sharp edge but you can't drive much. I didn't do this but wonder if you just replace with triangle for a new leading edge would be the best thing you could do. Any advise on strengthening the fuse at leading edge would be smart.  I heard some separated in flight.

Thanks, John, it was good to see you again, too!  I appreciate all the tips, I saw Kent fly his ARF with the RoJett .76 up at Hobby Park.  Looked like it flew pretty similar to his own built ones.

Not sure if I will use a ST .60 or the "new" Evo .60.  I haven't used the Evo at all, so we'll see.

Thanks again!
Bill

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
Use both, Bill. Use the fuse gear for grass fields, and make a set to use in the wings. I did that on my Golden Falcon. Worked pretty well.
Chris...

Thanks for the info, Chris.  As I have thought about it, the other wing gear models have not had a problem.  These fields are all bermuda grass and pretty smooth. so I will just go with the wing gear.

Thanks, again!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here