News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: another brodak smoothie  (Read 2755 times)

Offline alan roadknight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
another brodak smoothie
« on: July 25, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
Just about to start my next project , a brodak smoothie arf i bought a few months ago.Really happy with the quality of the kit with the exception of the leadouts which are coroded to the point of going rusty but that's no big deal as i will change the complete control system anyway along with the hinges. Thats all i can see that needs extra attention. Has anyone had any other issues with this model before i proceed ? It will have a T&L OS35S up front wich brings me to another point .  Is a 3 1/2 oz tank enough or should i try to squeeze in a 4oz tank?
Cheers
Al

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: another brodak smoothie
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »
HI Al,

Can't say much on the Smoothie, I have not had one.  But, I do have a T&L OS .35S.  I am not sure the 3 1/2 oz. tank will be enough unless you are just going to fly the OTS pattern, or just doing sport flying.  For the "modern" pattern I need at least a 4 oz. tank.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
Hi Bill,
Useing it for classic and ots , i'll stick with the 4oz. always better to have to much than not enough!

Al

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
Make sure you get the narrow tank (I think it's the 1 3/4" wide) as the 2" wide won't fit. I have a 35FP in mine and flys great. The covering is a different story.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
thanks for the info regarding the tank if the Brodak tank doesn't fit ill make my own. Covering with ARF'S is always an issue and  i have come to accept that if i dont want to do it myself i'll just have to keep maintaining what they have supplied

Al

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
You need to reinforce the fuselage where the blind nuts are installed for the landing gear. I added a second thicker plywood plate and reinforced with fiberglass. If not reinforced the factory installed mounting plate WILL fail sooner than later if you have a few hard landings especially over grass. I use 4oz narrow tank with all tubes fwd.  I have Fox35 with hemihead, stuffer backplat, STstyle NV with Big Art tube muffler and ceramic P&L. Fuel is Powermaster GMA. 29% castle oil with Glo Devil RC idle bar plug and APC 10x 5 prop.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Lyle is absolutely correct regarding the weak L/G mounting plate.  My brother has the Smoothie ARF and we fly over grass.  He had to rebuild the L/G mount after each of his first three landings.  After about a pound of epoxy and another pound of plywood, he can now land without sheering off the L/G.  He flies with a McCoy .35 redhead.  Looks and sounds beautiful in the air.  Have fun with yours.

Paul

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:46:17 PM »
Did the covering ever get  upgraded, or does it still fall off in the air? Just wondering. Also, read on here that ARF's are hard to get, but ARC's are plentiful. Sounds like a good solution to the covering problem, plus makes it easier to change out the controls and beef up that weak landing gear mount.  :-X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »
Reading the tank issue,  wasn't the old Veco tanks 2 inches wide?   Never had a problem installing one in the Veco Smoothies I built many years ago before I knew what I was doing.   But, then again, do I know what I am doing now.  Started a kit build of a Brodak Smoothie and laid it aside cause it doesn't look right with that bubble canopy.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
See my posting dated March 11, 2012 on this forum. Progress on 2nd Smoothie behind schedule due to other prioritie but really look forward to havingit finished.  Will have to plan a flyoff to compare with my Thunderbird and Nobler.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Mike May

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
I built a Smoothie as my first ARTF since restarting CL this year. I agree 100% that the gear mounting is too weak for anything less than a featherlight landing - I sheared mine off on a low pull-out over tarmac. I removed the fuse bottom planking and epoxied in an oblong of Deal wood (nice and light with very close grain), with two 1/2" holes drilled thru lined with plastic tube, then epoxied two corresponding bolts to u/c centre-section. The u/c is now optionally drop-off or locked on with discreet elastic bands - and the Smoothie looks even better in the air without u/c (as long as the landing is on grass!)

I found the covering was and has remained good, but the inaccurate laser cutting had left very little wood to mount the tail feathers onto (needed a balsa block letting into the rear fuse). The general weight of the balsa used is ultra - light so be VERY careful grabbing hold of it without thinking. I made the mistake of not buying the recommended tank with it - had endless problems with fuel feed, instantly cured by getting the right one from Brodak. My Smoothie is powered by a PAW .35 diesel and is actually very nice indeed to fly - hope you enjoy yours too!

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
Just about to start my next project , a brodak smoothie arf i bought a few months ago.Really happy with the quality of the kit with the exception of the leadouts which are coroded to the point of going rusty but that's no big deal as i will change the complete control system anyway along with the hinges. Thats all i can see that needs extra attention. Has anyone had any other issues with this model before i proceed ? It will have a T&L OS35S up front wich brings me to another point .  Is a 3 1/2 oz tank enough or should i try to squeeze in a 4oz tank?
Cheers
Al

Don't know how it will work with your 35 but with a little work with a dremel the 4 oz Sullivan cylinder plastic clunk tank is a nice fit.

Offline alan roadknight

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 04:45:43 AM »
The 4 oz brodak uniflo tank fits perfectly and i will certainly have a look at the undercarriage mounts. I have been tied up with my electric f2b models of late and life just keeps getting busier so i hope to start this project in the new year.Albeit to late for our upcoming nationals and various state champs through out the first half of the year!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
            and
TIGHT LINES
Al

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
I see by your E-Mail address you are on the bottom side of this great planet.   Anyway I hope you get the Smoothie flying.   And MERRY CHRISTMAS AND AN EARLY HAPPY NEW YEAR to you guys/gals.   I wonder how it was determined that the northern half is the top of the world and southern half is the bottom????   Here I go straying from the topic again.   But, Smoothie's are great flying planes.   Need to get back to the kit I started.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
My Smoothie is powered by a PAW .35 diesel and is actually very nice indeed to fly - hope you enjoy yours too!

Love the PAW diesel sitting upright for all to see!

Do you get any diesel 'gear change' burp on the outside maneuvers?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here