News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Hot glue removal  (Read 2644 times)

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ARF Hot glue removal
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:50:40 AM »
Everyone,
I have a Score that I would like to make solid to keep the engine in place.  Does anyone have a good technique to remove the hot glue that is holding it together other than brute force?  Any advice would be welcome.
John
John Paris

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: ARF Hot glue removal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
 Hi John, good to hear from you!

I've yet to try it, but I've been told to heat up the area well with your Monokote gun and then pry the desired pieces apart. Someone recently gave me this tip when I asked for suggestions on replacing the stock motor mounts on an ARF Nobler project I'm contemplating. He also said something about drilling holes in the mounts first to be able to put a screwdriver or something into when you get ready to pry. There is a post here somewhere, I'll attach it when I find it.

Here it is:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=23689.0
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »
Wayne,
Thank you for the tip.  I have considered doing it that way, but then I get concerned about what will happen to the covering as I heat the area.  I know that nitro seems to have an adverse impact on the strength of the glue so was looking for a solvent type solution to remove/soften the glue and pull the parts apart.  Maybe something will show up this week and if not, I can start the heating and prying process this weekend.  There are some other mods that I will need to make as well so this will be a small project for me.
John
John Paris

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »
I have had good success using a little bit of heat (from hair dryer) and then "picking" at one end of the glue joint with a #11 blade until it lifts - then you can basically pull the whole length of glue out along the glue line - its kinda hard to explain - but start at the glue closest to you and lift it - it pulls out remarkably easily (in the ones I have done anyway) 

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »
 Hmm, a hair dryer might not mess up the covering too bad then either.  Thanks for the reminder Wynn.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Hmm, a hair dryer might not mess up the covering too bad then either.  Thanks for the reminder Wynn.

yep - thats why I used it over the heat gun........I learnt form my first attempt!
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:29:19 AM »
Everyone,
I ended up using a pick and some heat to pullout what I could of the hot glue and then used epoxy and heat again to fill back in the voids.  Seems reasonably strong.  Did the usual landing gear upgrade, new bellcrank and pushrod replacement.  Also learned that the place for the tank is not where stunt people would like it and ended up using a Dubro 6 oz shimmed away from the platform to get something I thought would run about the same upright and inverted.  The Discovery Retro engine was a bit of challenge to mount with the rear exhaust, but I managed to get it to fit.  Need about 3 ozs of nose weight to balance it for a final weight of 64 ozs.  I have a few flights on it and am still learning with it and taking it easy as the engine breaks in (hard to do in the big city of Seoul).  So far I am happy with the airplane and being patient with the engine.  Tank may need a little adjustment as well.  Just thought I would put in an update and share some pics.
John
John Paris

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:34:45 AM »
A couple more shots.  As you will see, space is a bit limited, so I kept the wing removable.  Maybe 10 flights so far and everything seems to be holding together fairly well.
John
John Paris

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »
Looking good,  the plane that is.   So how long will you be out of country?    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
Hi John,
Glad you got it going. I have one that I did the landing gear beef up ( new 1/2 ribs and extra shear webs),
the firewall ( remove glue and added tri-stock and dowels, coated with 30 min epoxy),
Replaced bell crank and lead outs with CLC hardware, and reworked factory adj leadouts,
Replaced cheap aluminum control rods with CF tube and ball joints, factory elevator pushrod is a joke.

I have an older ST .51 in mine, needed 2  1/2 oz of lead in the tail. Love the ways it flies, rich 2 cycle, very slight break when full vertical. Pulls like a horse and stays solid overhead better than anything else I currently have.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
Looking good,  the plane that is.   So how long will you be out of country?    H^^

Doc,
Glad you like the airplane.  There probably is no hope for me. n~  I have been here for a year and a half so far and have about a year to go.  Work is good, traffic is bad and I miss my backyard flying circle.  Have made some new flying friends and working hard to keep CL alive here in Korea.
John
John Paris

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »
Well, at least you have someone to fly with.   The job market here in the states is not all that great any more.  Of course being retired, I only worry about the kids making a good living. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
Hurry back home so you can build mine for me.  Yours is looking great and since you know what to do doing mine should be a breeze.

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
Jay,
You don't want to assemble it yourself?  Not too hard and you will always have someone to ask questions.  Could be a while before I get back.....
John
John Paris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here