News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strega Arc  (Read 2807 times)

Offline John Rakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Strega Arc
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »
Has a Ro Jett 76 RE, Ultra Coat Covering, Brodak spinner, ball linked carbon pushrod, adjustable rudder. Have not flown it yet, but hope to this weekend   
John Rakes

Offline John Rakes

• Ensign
Re: Strega Arc
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:04:12 PM »
More pics
John Rakes

Willis Swindell

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:11:45 PM »
Hi John
Looks nice getting good in your old age. I have mine covered now just have to paint the fuselage
Willis  y1

Willis Swindell

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
Finally finished my ARC Strega and hope to fly it tomorrow. Powered by Steve Fitton’s Brodak K&B 61, 13x5 Zinger 6 oz tank. My scales say 63 oz but I figure more like 70 oz.
Willis   ;D #^

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:06:13 PM »
Mine is in finishing stage. Wing is polyspan, fuse silked. I have to get my competition plane (Vector 40) finished before I push any harder to complete it. Will probably paint them both together in a week or two. Just as easy to shoot two at a time as one since they will be the same colors and scheme. I'm using a Saito .72. Anyone else got a 4 stroke in the air yet?

Bob Branch

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 10:30:01 PM »
Finally finished my ARC Strega and hope to fly it tomorrow. Powered by Steve Fitton’s Brodak K&B 61, 13x5 Zinger 6 oz tank. My scales say 63 oz but I figure more like 70 oz.
Willis   ;D #^

Good luck, Willis!  Say Hi to the guys, especially John, and I hope to see y'all in June.
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 07:15:12 PM »
Well, I've just pulled tape on my Strega arf. It has a bob'd nose (3/4 inch) for a Saito .72 set back as far as possible to help the balance issue. Lots of touch ups to do but clear will come this weekend if the weather warms some.

Bob Branch

Walter Hicks

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:51:47 PM »
Hi Bob,and other 4 stroke Strega  folks,

Would you mind posting some pictures of the tank set up  , cowl and  how much  you cut off the front end, and how it balanced . I have newly broken in Saito .62 Golden Knight waiting for a home!!!  I currently have a RO Jett .76
SE  with clamp mounts and it would be fun to compare the Saito ,.62 with the RO Jett .76 . Spinner size etc.
Thank you for your time .

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
Walter

I'm not to the point of being able to balance the plane yet. I just pulled the tape and its not looking good for shooting clear this weekend here in SE Michigan. The only decent day is going to be Saturday, and naturally that is my annual trip to the Toledo RC show. I'll put some pics here on what I have done. Windy advised me I was going to have a nose heavy condition and recommended I get the motor aft as much as I could. He recommended cutting the nose off some to go along with it with the Saito .72 up front. First I should mention my rational for the motor was that it was the cheapest big block I could get. I don't really know if I want to fly big block planes or not. I have no ego problems needing one for that reason and am only an advanced flier and have no desire to progress to expert. I have the Vector 40 pretty well zeroed in with aerotiger .36 power and its as sweet a package as I could want and what I plan to fly in competition this year. The Strega is really exploratory for what I may or may not want to do next year. I also have an electric project to evaluate that to see if that is the path I want to take. I fly RC also and the Saito .72 is just a really sweet motor for the size range planes I fly. So the cost of a Saito that if I don't decide to fly big block can be dropped right into any of a number of RC planes I have or a custom stunt motor at twice the price... well, the Saito was my answer. Only reason I even decided to go there was the Strega ARC. If I did decide to fly it in competition I wanted appearance points, and I wanted to evealuate 3 new paint systems for me: hivh volume low pressure gun, water soluble latex paint, and Klasscote clear epoxy. I guess this is a testamony to Windy's article on ARF/ARC's in Control Line's current issue.

I'm using the ultraproducts manifold and venturi system. They are not shown in the first pic but you can see the cutout for them. I'm using a clamp mounting system for the motor so I can go to other motor options if I decide to stay in big blocks but want to use another power option. The first pic shows the motor in the plane mounted as far aft as it would go in the mounts, which is 3/4 inch aft. I looked at doing a shaft extention but was not comfortable with not having a jam nut on a 4 stroke. So as much as I didn't want to get into that much of a project I decided to cut the nose off. I removed about 3/4 inch. Prior to the cut I cut the nose ring as has been mentioned in other threads on the plane. After cutting 3/4 inch off the cowling and mounting the nose ring back in I wound up with the esthetic you see in pic #2.

Pic #3 shows the fuel tank solution I came up with. The original tank floor is removed. A 6 ounce sullivan clunk tank fits vertically just right. I cut out the angled air guides that are in the orignal and glue them to the new tank floor (which is the lower horizontal plywood member of the arc) to keep the tank from shifting laterally. It doesn't look like I'll need much of a shim. If I do I'll have to improvise. Its pretty close as is though to the needlevalve level. The spinner worked out to be about 2 1/4 inches. That is one thing you might want to use to determine exactly where you are going to place your cut if you decide to go that route. I'm not sure the weight of your motor vs a rojet .76 that Windy is flying. He felt the plane was tail heavy with his motor and put lighter and thinner elevators on it after flying it. Tail weight not necessarily being a bad thing in my application I elected to stay with the orignals. I obviously changed the canopy and the rudder. Windy mentioned the rudder needs to be larger and a Rabe to deal with the big diameter 2 blade props of the big blocks. I have gone that route also. Hope this helps. If all 3 pics don't upload, I'll put them in seperate posts.

Bob Branch

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 05:52:32 PM »
I should also mention that I added a wood lip to the inside of the cowl leading edge opening to give it some structure and the paint scheme trim color curves down to that lip. Looks decent. Also the rudder is obviously my own shape and not Strega's.

Bob Branch

Walter Hicks

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:54 PM »
Bob,

Thank you very much for the pictures and article. I think the Saito .62, or .72 will be an excellent combination for the Strega. W Hicks

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 09:49:42 PM »
I have finished my strega arc. Unfortuantely its mission has changed from experiment to competition plane. This isn't good as the finish certainly is not what I would like but there were so many finishing experiements and my time available crashed so I just had to get it done to have a plane to fly the first part of the season. The Vector 40 I had planned on flying is in silver but will not be able to get finished until after mid summer so the process of elimination puts  me flying a 4 stroke experiement, a big block experiement, and a finsh experiment as my first year entry into PAMPA advanced class. Oh well, no one will expect much. Power is saito .72. Nose cut 3/4 inch shorter and engine moved to back of the rails. Rabe rudder, different canopy and rudder. But its still a strega. Final finish wound up being polyspan over doped wood and filled with dope (Brodak). Colors are water soluble latex and clear is Klasscote clear epoxy which has yet to be rubbed out. First flight will be this weekend. The latex was a bust. Very light, finish was 9.8 oz. But you can't sand the stuff. Try to wetsand it and it turns to mud. Dry sand it and it gunks the paper instantly. This really puts a crimp in ones ability to get a really nice paint job. It'll do but I can certainly do alot better. But if I do decide to stay with a big block I have another strega in the attic that can be done with a dope finish. Did enjoy the color pallet available in latex though.

Bob Branch

Walter Hicks

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 09:52:30 PM »
Bob , very nice I think you will really like that combo with the Saito .72. It is a great engine. I am now using a Saito .72 with my Laser 200 again with 14x8 Zinger thinned out 7500 ground launch RPM . I am sure you will have as much power and more with the much lighter Strega. Even if it weighs 70 OZ the wing is big and thick airfoil. You will
like how well the Strega Flies. W Hicks

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
Thanks Walter. Did first 2 flights yesterday between rain showers just to get it so I could go back and recheck it for kinks. Today going to start trimming.

Bob Branch

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
...snip...entry into PAMPA advanced class. Oh well, no one will expect much. ......snip
Bob Branch

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here