News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:47:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Still pluging away on my NobleARF  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Still pluging away on my NobleARF
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:20:27 AM »
Built a new wood cowl, made a small adjustable clevis for the elevator and access hatch, had the CF gear and felt this would be a good victim to use them on. They were too flexable for my Skylark but NobleARF-II is 10 ounces lighter. Recovered the fuselage and had to paint the nose, no way was I going to try to get Monokote to bend around the front of that cowl. Figured if I had to paint the nose might as well add some dress...

I don't like the flames on the landing gear, think I should have started closer to the fuselage. Might re-do them, I used vinyl on the landing gear instead of painting so it wouldn't be hard to remove and start over. Weight with cowl is 29 ounces, engine, tank, spinner and prop comes to 12 ounces. Going to end up with a ST 46 powered Nobler that weighs 41 ounces, maybe 42 if I need to add any tail weight.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Still pluging away on my NobleARF
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:49:49 AM »
WOW... I would not call it a ARF. That is one nice looking plane!!!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
Howdy Bob,

That looks pretty cool.  I like the play with the name too.

Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 05:49:39 PM »
Hi Bob,
Did you get your tank built yet. Wanna see it ?
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the complement Zuriel..

The CF landing gear didn't make it past the first attempt at getting it airborn. Kinda a comedy of errors all of which I know better than to do.... Didn't have the lines tight when I released the stooge, also didn't have the handle adjusted quite right so when it did gain line tension at about 4 feet it went down real fast. Broke the landing gear and one of my Rev-Up props. Was more upset about breaking the prop than anything. Bought that CF landing gear at a swap meet for $10.00 so no big loss but that prop was a cut down and reworked Rev-Up 12-6 that that Tigre 46 just loved.

Next attempt will be with aluminum landing gear and a Zinger prop.. That will teach me to think I can adjust the handle after I get airborn.. I love in-flight adjustment but DUH you really need to be sure it is somewhere in the ball park before you take off.

Greg,

Yes I did manage to get a tank built but I messed up someplace with the angle of the dangle in my drawing and had to fix a crooked end with a patch so no pictures  ::)

Only excuse I can offer was it was cold and I was in a hurry.. It will now wait for warmer wether.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:21:09 AM »
Bob Having used ST/46's almost exclusively for the last 20 years on small planes I have found the Zinger 12/5 to be the almost perfect prop. A 12/6 even when cut down had to much meat at the center and the pitch is higher if you cut them down. The 12/5 lets the motor run in a faster 4 cycle than the 12/6 and you will get less wind up in the wind.Some will not agree but they work great for me.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:14:06 AM »
Hi Ed,

This Rev-Up actually measured 5 1/4, had spent some time cleaning it up and refinishing, hated to loose it. Understand what you are saying about Zingers have had good results also, but for me they require a bit more work in the clean up department than a good old Rev-Up. Of course they are replaceable and Rev-Up's aren't. I should have known better, well heck I did know better and did it anyway  HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here