News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST .56 in a Score?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
ST .56 in a Score?
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
I got a deal on a TF Score that came with a .46 LA installed. It flew OK but seemed to struggle a bit on the vertical up of the square loop, and slowed down at the top of a wingover.

I've seen a lot of post on ST.51 and various 4 stroke power for this plane.
I thought I had a ST .51, but I just pulled it out of the plane it was in and it is a  V.56. older version, baffle piston w/ 1 intake port, ringed piston, ball bearing rear and 1 hole in the middle of the exhaust for muffler mount screw. Crank is marked BB56 on counterweight, and " CHROMED" is cast into the case below the mounting lug.

The engine is an R/C version, but I have a venturi for it somewhere.
Anyone have experience with this combo, or the .56 R/C running C/L venturi in general?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:10:46 PM by Bill Heher »
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: ST .56 in a Score?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »
HI Bill,

From all accounts in the past, the .56 is like a .60 with a *tad* less power.  Champione has one he just put in a T-Rex or something.  I would go for it.

They were used by some in the past, but the .60 trumped them.  You know, the old "why run a .56 when you can run a .60".  LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »
Since you have the ST .56 its certainly worth a try. If its a strong one and the Score weights around 75 oz. or less, the 56 should fly it, probably with more authority then the LA .46. I tried one in mine and it did OK, but later I switched to a "dish head" ST .60 and it flies much better, especially in a moderate breeze.

My Score weights 80 ounces and it really needs a strong engine. A .65 would not be too much! Another local flier tried a Tom Lay ST .56 in his 90 oz. Strega. It was not enough, even though the engine ran well. He also switched to the ST .60.

The nice thing about these 2 engines is they are pretty much interchangeable in the same model without reworking the nose. One drawback to the .56 is I have never seen one with muffler mount ears on the case, so a strap-on is needed. Installing one can be frustrating in a cowled-in stunter.  EWP

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »
I'm glad you replied, Ed, since you have personal experience with the combo. 

I had Champione's .56 here for a while (he was putting it into a USA-1) and the case looked about identical to my St .60s.  never measured it, but they gotta be close if not the same.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:47 PM »
The plane I took the .56 out of had an adj. motor mount ( R/C ARF P-51), and I had to widen the spacing when I put a "G" Series Blue Head ST .60  in it.

I think the G .60 is heavier than the V .56, there is certainly more meat in the case around the cylinder for the muffler ears.  I thought about putting the 60 in the Score, but it is wider than the .56 across the beams, and the .56 is wider than the LA .46, so some surgery would be necessary. Also I suppose the G .60 would need to be re-worked for C/L Stunt......

The .56 is in the crockpot getting cleaned up now, liner / piston / rod look good, rear bearing was covered in castor goo, so I'll have to see how it looks cleaned up. probably just order a new set of bearings and be done with it.

Oh yeah- I  can't find a venturi for it in the boxes of "Stuff"- anybody have one with correct needle valve assy they want to part with?
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
Randy Smith will fix you up with a venturi and one of his extra-good NV Assembies, I'm sure. You'll become a fan of the Nelson/Precision Aero NV Assemblies too!

Regarding the Score, are you going to be able to check/replace/rebuild the BC/leadouts/horns? I haven't looked at them, but I'm always suspicious. Bad controls can cost you an engine and plane in .5 seconds. But you knew that! H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
+1 on Steve's comments about the control system; don't just think about it, do it!!

I replaced every thing except the horns; then the elevator horn arm turned on the wire shaft.  Fortunately, I was able to run out the tank and land with no other damage...........
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
Too late to change the controls out- I bought it previously flown and ready to go with engine installed.

We did give it a heavy duty pull test ( approx 100 + lbs)at the field in Phoenix - no cracking / creaking / pinging under load and flaps / elevators still worked smoothly.

I will drop Randy an e-mail about a venturi / needle.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »
If you have not yet acquired them, check out the used but good venturi and NVA I just listed on eBay (item # 300447327402). Best regards, EWP

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here