News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Something new from SIG  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Bob Furr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Something new from SIG
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »
Anyone else notice that Sig did an ARF of the skyray 35?   I love the plane but am surprized they chose that instead of a full body stunt model.
Bob Furr

Alan Hahn

Re: Something new from SIG
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:09:18 PM »
No....where did you see it? (I'll take a peek at Sig's Site). I guess they will show it at Toledo. We have a few guys from Treetown going, so I expect to hear something at the next club meeting.

ok, I do see it on their site----a stealth campaign!

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
It's on Sigs web site but at 129.99 I'll pass.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 07:25:06 AM »
At the local hobby shop they have a SIG ready to fly all electric Primary Forse.  Much smaller than the control line version.  But, why go with an ARF Skyray?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:40:44 AM »
Maybe they thought the SkyRay looked a lot like the Top Flite Streak.  Yes it seems a bit over priced but like all the other ARF's they too started out High and then dropped there prices. Flite Streaks are now around 50 bucks.

I would rather had seen them take the Twister and "Upsize it" like the Tutor 2. Maybe they would have something then.

Paul H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 01:43:08 PM »
I saw the prototype today at the Toledo show.  It looks pretty good with the following changes from the kit:  Built up leading edge, capstrips, full ribs (balsa?), thicker wing tips and adjustable lead outs (if I remember right).  The center sheeting also has the nice curves near the leading and trailing edges to reduce stress concentrations.  It was done up in the traditional Skyray 35 colors with a single wheel.  The one at the show was fitted with an LA 25, tongue muffler and 4 oz Sullivan tank.  Since it looked like it was bolted into a display fixture I did not pick it up for further evaluation.  Mike Gretz said that this is still fairly new and production quantities have not arrived as of yet. 
John
John Paris

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:50:18 AM »
I think replacing the solid 3/4" leading edge of the SkyRay is a good idea---it is really hard to get a non-warped/twisted piece of wood of that size. Always caused me issues trying to get a straight wing. Same is true with the Twister design.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
The Primary Force has its virtues. Flies quite well without flaps. Much more of a stunter than a Flite Streak. IMHO. There's a lot out there cheaper with the potential to fly better. But simplicity definitely has it's virtues. Hard to imagine an ARF quicker to throw together than a Flite Streak or a PF. As for the $129 Skyray (same price as the PF) got to be kidding. Besides half that buys a Flite Streak or a Super Clown. Spend a weekend or two fitting a Vector 40 together and you've got a serious plane for a similar outlay of cash. I've seen Skyray's do the pattern pretty well, skidding here and there in the corners while flapping their wings. Fun yes. A serious PAMPA plane? No. Expert fliers make Ringmasters look good. But when it comes down to serious competition they fly something else. The major problem with ARF Flite Streaks are their hollow fueses that eventually break off in the front. Well the front end of my PF ARF proved to be soft, setting up weird vibrations that took a season to solve. Actually the nose was so soft that cinching the bolts tight cause it to warp noticeably inward, requiring offset wedges to compensate. Probably my plane was not typical but makes the point. The Sig Chinese builders aren't much further along than their Brodak or Top Flight counterparts.

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
  With the Flite Streak ARF at $54 dollars, more with the saver codes I won't give the Skyray ARF a second look unless the price comes down below sixty bucks. Besides, in my opinion the Flite Streak is a better looking and flying model

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
Nice to see another CL ARF hit the market since it's undoubtedly good for the hobby.  For some reason, SIG continues to be terribly proud of their ARFs.  Most of their R/C offerings are about double kit price.  This thing is over 2 1/2 times kit--whew!  Can't believe they're trying to sell it for more than the PF ARF--a much better design, IMO.  If memory serves me well, the Skyray 35 can be built from the kit over a couple of weekends with an iron-on finish, including sheeted LE, cap stripped ribs, and adjustable leadouts and weight box.  I suppose ya' could throw in beefier wingtips as well, if that mattered.  The price needs to make it worth the hassle of redoing the flight controls without destroying the reason for buying an ARF in the first place.
Chuck Winget

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »
SIG knows that their dealers will sell it pretty cheap, and they don't want to compete with their dealers. I think it's their way to encourage you to order them from your LHS. I like the Skyray 35, but it needs to be lighter than the kit version. Basically, it needs a Flite Streak wing, and that's about all.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »
Heh, heh, now guess why they called it the "twister".  LL~ It sounded better than the "warper". D>K

Which makes me wonder about marketing--don't you think an ARF Twister would sell like gangbusters? In my opinion, better than the Skyray.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »
I would have went for the Banshee.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »

Me too, Doc.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
  With the Flite Streak ARF at $54 dollars, more with the saver codes I won't give the Skyray ARF a second look unless the price comes down below sixty bucks. Besides, in my opinion the Flite Streak is a better looking and flying model
I;ll second that. H^^

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 06:25:45 PM »

Haven't flown a Banshee (yes in stock form it does look better!), but either one would be a great ARF IMHO! y1

How about the Chipmunk---now that would really be a winner. I have a kit that I plan to make one of these says once I figure out how to put on the stock color scheme.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »
The Sig Chipmunk is a great flying airplane and would also make a great electric conversion.  I had one in the early 90's that I flew with an OS 35S weighing 42 ounces.  It flew fantastic.  I did move the wing forward 1", moved the elevator hingeline back 1/2", and cut the flaps off 4" from the tip.  I even used the heavy cowl and wheel pants and it turned out that light.  It would be worth your while to build that one.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »
Last I heard from the folks at SIG is that they are having problems with the company that was scheduled to manufacture the ARF Skyray so it may not happen.    Sorry to hear that as they would have done a better job of it than the Flite Streak (that said I picked up a couple of the Flite Streaks for $50 each and think I will be more than happy to live with their issues.
Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here