News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:59:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smooshed Noblarf to be reincarnated as ???  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Smooshed Noblarf to be reincarnated as ???
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:10:40 AM »
Well, my ancient Noblarf bit the dust yesterday.  I pulled an Eric Rule, and skidded it in inverted on the outside squares.  Top of fuselage gone, vertical tail MUCH shorter.  (Spiff bailed out unhurt, fortunately) Easily repaired, actually, but the model is quite old, and I am willing to bet that hidden in the bottom is a LOT of oil.  Time to do something cool with the wing.

I know that the Chisler uses that wing, but was wondering what else could I build and end up with a Classic model?  How close, for example to the wing of the Olympic?  Etc. etc. 
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Smooshed Noblarf to be reincarnated as ???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »
Hi Larry,

The first Olympics were Nobler wings accordingf to Mr. Gialdini.  I think you would be ok building one with the Noblearf wing.  I haven't looked at the old planes recently to really see what planes could be built with that wing.

Of course, I would vote for the Chizler!  A quick wingtip change and you're done.

Another choice is Mr. Grondal's "AMA Special" also known as the Grondal Nobler.  It won the first two official FAI F2B World Championships.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »
Here is a picture of Joe Gilbert re-incarnated Nobler wing. He made it into a profile Nobler.  Flys great and still looks like (kinda) a Nobler.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:37:40 PM »
Well, I took the Noblarf apart.  As suspected, the fuselage had a fair amount of oil soaking.  However, the parts that had been epoxy treated around the tank and engine were fine.  The oil snuck in elsewhere.  You better believe that the Smoothie is getting better sealed!

Anyway, the oil also managed to sneak most of the way out to the tip of the outboard wing!  Since it is quicker to build a new ARF than de-grease the old wing and build a new fuselage (especially since "original" K2R is anything but the original mix), I guess the whole model is toast.

But a glorious 4 or 5 years and 3 (count them!) VSC appearances.  Plus square 4-leaf clovers by Keith Trostle!  Maybe I should hang a few greasy shreds in a plastic baggie on the wall or framed with a history.

LL~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here