News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:31:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Primary Force  (Read 3446 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sig Primary Force
« on: February 06, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
Just got the Primary Force Model looks good. But was wundering if I should just assemble as is or upgade anything. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
Re: Sig Primary Force
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
John,
The Primary Force ARF will work fine without upgrades.  Long term experience with mine leads me to a couple of minor upgrades I'll make on the next one:
1.) Slip a piece of carbon fiber tube on the pushrod and glue in place to stiffen rod so guide is not needed.
2.)Drill the landing gear mount holes oversize and insert brass tubing to bush the holes for the bolts that hold the gear to the fuselage.
3.) Seal the edges of the covering film around the nose with clear Lusterkote.  I have also heard that clear nail polish will work to keep fuel from getting under the edges.

Depending on the engine you choose, the airplane might come out a little tail heavy.  Be sure to get the CG at the recommended location or a little forward.  With stock control horn it is very responsive.
Steve

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »
John, I assembled mine as it came. I'm using a LA .25 and it works very well. Did however have to add 1/2oz weight to the nose for balance. This is probably the best profile plane i have ever had. y1
JJ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
Joe....try a Pathfinder.....

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »
I have a Pathfiner ARF and compared to the Primary Force it is a piece of junk.  The wing is badly warped and the control hardware is useless.  The covering is not fuel proof and the mounts are like balsa.  A new flyer to C/L would have a difficult time making this a useable piece of hardware.  Rich, if you are going to recommend this kind of poor quality junk, you should try it first.
Steve

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:04:50 AM »
Sorry Steve...
I have seen/built several Pathfinders....and ALL are terrific flyers....
If a wing is warped, it is because the covering shrunk at different rates and is easily correctable with a heat gun....ANY film covered ARF is susceptible to warping, BTW, even the Primary Force......
As to the mounts....they work just fine with the provided aluminum pads, although I prefer oak or a similar harder material....
We have about ten flying at the GSCB field and all use stock controls and have had ZERO problems...
We are probably doing something wrong....like following directions.
The PF is a good aeroplane, but I believe that the Pathfinder, assembled per instructions and properly powered, is a terrific piece....

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
John, I assembled mine as it came. I'm using a LA .25 and it works very well. Did however have to add 1/2oz weight to the nose for balance. This is probably the best profile plane i have ever had. y1
JJ
I hope the photos show up <LOL>.

The ARF P-Force shown in the photo belongs to Leonard Rennick of PHX, AZ.  Leonard was kind enough to let me assemble the ARF P-Force model for him.  After about 75 flight the engine started to run erratic (which ran like a Swiss watch at first) and problem was narrowed down to the nose beginning to vibrating.   The simple fix was to add cheek cowl to reinforce the joint between the wing and fuselage.  As can be seen in the photo the cheek cowl was shaped like a Jet intake (sort of Mig-29) and glued to the inboard side of the fuselage.  Make sure the covering is removed from the fuselage and the wing in the required area for good wood to wood contact.  Apply a liberal amount of Epoxy to the wing and fuselage joint and the back of the cheek cowl.  Press the cheek cowl in place and wipe off excess glue with alcohol and a paper towel.

Later,
Mikey
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 05:56:48 PM by MikeyPratt »

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »
Mikey,
That looks great!  How did you match the orange color.  Sig apparently does not sell that color orange here.
Steve

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »
As Mike stated, he added the cheek cowl to fix the vibration problem. The few others things done to it, was to add larger wheels for the grass, and I slid a carbon rod over the existing push rod and added ball link at the control horn. My only complaint would be the white trim tends to come off. When that happens I just replace it with MonoKote. I like the plane so much that I bought a kit from Mike, and I have also built an 80% size one powered by an FP20.

Leonard
Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
John,
The Primary Force ARF will work fine without upgrades.  Long term experience with mine leads me to a couple of minor upgrades I'll make on the next one:
1.) Slip a piece of carbon fiber tube on the pushrod and glue in place to stiffen rod so guide is not needed.
2.)Drill the landing gear mount holes oversize and insert brass tubing to bush the holes for the bolts that hold the gear to the fuselage.
3.) Seal the edges of the covering film around the nose with clear Lusterkote.  I have also heard that clear nail polish will work to keep fuel from getting under the edges.

Depending on the engine you choose, the airplane might come out a little tail heavy.  Be sure to get the CG at the recommended location or a little forward.  With stock control horn it is very responsive.
Steve

Steve,
Are you OK with the method of securing the pushrod to the bellcrank "standoff" with a screw pressing a side of the rod filed flat, and locking compound?   I like the standoff idea, just not sure how safe the attachment is.

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:09:24 PM »
Kim,
I was worried at first, but got a chance to ask Mike Pratt about it and he feels it is "bullet proof" if done per the instructions.  My experience so far confirms his analysis.  I tried to estimate the flight time on my original and it is at least 200 hr.  The only problem so far is the departure of some of the white trim.  I have another I plan to assemble this summer.  I will relegate the old one to an engine test bed.  I have a LEO 37 that I want to try along with a JEN 37.  Both fit the existing mounts (OS 25 FSR) and weigh about the same as the 25.  I also want to try a Macs muffler/pipe on the LEO.

Steve

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »
and I have also built an 80% size one powered by an FP20.

Leonard

Do you feel the full size Primary Force is too much plane for the FP20?
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »
I am using an FP40 run in a moderate 2 stroke setting. I guess I could tack it. Using a real fat setting left the plane without enough to get it over the top on the initial wing overs. This engine can put out more power than needed for the PF, but set as a I use it, it proves a very solid match. With an FP20, I believe the plane would be under powered except in an ideal situation, with a constant breeze that does not change direction. Mike Pratt recommends a 25 as possible power, perhaps on 55 foot lines. Some have recommended similar power for a Twister sized plane. At our club's field, where the air can be tricky and treacherous, I doubt that a 25 would be reliable on either plane. I've seen many underpowered planes plow in when hit with sudden gusts and changeable wind direction. The Primary Force I fly weighs 37 ounces and was built from a kit. It was given to me as a stunt trainer, already assembled, having been flown many times. It is predictable and easy to fly. Nice plane. When equipped with a tongue muffler the FP40 does not create a nose heavy condition.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »
The kit Primary Force built light would be marginal for the FP20.  It is about 100 sq in bigger than the Skyray and Flite Streak.  The ARF is a bit heavier than the kit airplane with much of the weight aft of the wing.  With a light engine it needs nose weight to get the CG in the right place which makes it even heavier.  My ARF was actually a little tail heavy with an 8+ oz OS 25FSR and a tongue muffler, so I fly it with a stock muffler.  A PF at 400 sq in should be  a hoot with an  FP20.
Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 06:49:03 PM »
FWIW, Joe Just has an ARF PF, he flies his with an LA .25. I dont know about others flying conditions, but in Pasco, at 2500 feet on a 90 degree day, that LA did a great job. That being said, there is always room for a bit of margin in power delivery to help in turbulent conditions.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 08:58:47 AM »
Do you feel the full size Primary Force is too much plane for the FP20?

Rick,

Mike flies his with an LA 25 while my arf is powered by a TT36. I wanted something different and wanted to try out a couple building techniques, that is why I went to the 80% size. Right now the FP 20 is a little fast on full 60ft lines.
Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 09:39:41 PM »
Rick,

Mike flies his with an LA 25 while my arf is powered by a TT36. I wanted something different and wanted to try out a couple building techniques, that is why I went to the 80% size. Right now the FP 20 is a little fast on full 60ft lines.

Thanks Leonard
I know several fellows that swear up and down the FP 20 produces more power than the LA 25. It seems to me this might be a good match, full size P.F. and a FP 20.
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 04:06:54 AM »
Rick,

I don't think so, the Super SHIM is 420 sq in and about all the FP-20 can handle. I believe my Brodak 25 powered Super SHIM has a slight edge over the FP-20 powered one.

When I get around to my Primary Force short kit, will put my Saito 30 FS on the nose. Should be a great combination.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »
Fred K. has been flying his Primary Force Arf with a "Fred 'O Y" Special" modded Magnum 28. It was really flying great. However this engine has balls,  :-X literally, compared to the FP/LA 20-25 stuff.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 11:34:50 PM »
Richard Entwhistle has a LA-40 on his and it flies Great. If i was to do one I would use my GMA ABC Fox 35 on it, After all The wing is 500 square inces and just right for a Fox 35. I would also put cheeks on it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here