News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:38:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Score CG  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Score CG
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
On Monday evening I helped my brother balance a Score.  He hasn't done the first flight yet.  However, it has a Super Tigre 51 and is otherwise completely stock.  The directions said to start with balance 2 1/4 inches behind the leading edge.  We got it to balance fairly close to the wire for the landing gear which is approximately 2 1/4 inches behind the leading edge with a hard measuring stick.

Some questions:

Is that measurement taken next to the fuselage with a straight (ruler type) measuring device as opposed to a tape measure which folds around the leading eadge? 

What has been your experiences with balancing the Score?

Has it needed much weight either way with a Super Tigre 51 in the nose?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
Re: Score CG
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
A one ounce spinner weight for the first flight is a good idea. Mine has numerous modifications that added weight behind the CG. Even with a ST .60 for power, it needs 2 ounces of nose weight.

I have flown 3 Scores belonging to other club members. All were powered with an LA .46 and built stock or nearly so. They flew well with no extra nose weight, but all used the stock E-3030 OS muffler which weights about 3 ounces.

It's usually better to test fly a little on the nose heavy side. Once you get the "feel" of the plane, you may want to remove some or all of the extra nose weight.

The Score does have a large stab and elevator. I've read where large tail surfaces can carry more weight. If its balanced right on target you might be OK, but why take the chance. Regards, EWP

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Score CG
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »
Hmmm, the instructions that came with my TF Score says that the CG starts at 105 mm (4 1/8") from the leading edge, measured along the side of the fuselage/wing junction.  From there move +/- 3/8" to fine tune.  On it's first and only flight, starting at 4 1/8", it acted quite tail heavy and I've since moved the CG to 3 5/8".  Yet to test---.
AMA 34849

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here