News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reinforced Score pictures  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Reinforced Score pictures
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
Anyone have some pictures of how they reinforced the nose and tank area of the ARF Score? I've been trying to search the site but nothing.  I find searching this site to be pretty difficult to find what I am looking for. What's the best way to remove hot glue? Did everyone leave the built in offset on the nose? What's the best way to beef up the wing mounted landing gear? Anyone got a link to some good info?

Thanks Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:20:06 PM by #Liner »
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
Re: Reinforced Score pictures?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:33:52 PM »
I was planning on using this R/C mount...  Plus have Tom Morris controls for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »
  I know I have described my experience with the Score several times, but will cover it again here. My experience began when the engine parted from the rest of the fuselage in flight! It pulled to the right and the prop took a bite out of the right leading edge, The rest of the airplane flopped down in good shape.
   On my airplane, all the hot glue was coming apart, and that is what caused the problem. I could pick it off the joints with a tweezers or hemostats. Then I just used thin C/A along all the normal glue joints to re-assemble the front end, with some thinned epoxy brushed along the joints to help out and fuel proof things. I added some balsa triangles here and there where they looked like they might help out. After I was finished, it only added a half ounce to the overall weight of the airplane, including fixing the leading edge of the right wing. There is nothing wrong with the structure or design, the problem is the glue they used. One observation after I made the repair. I had never felt much vibration, really none at all, at the handle when flying the model. After the repair, I could feel the engine running at the handle. Nothing disturbing, just a significant difference. That is how "loose" the front end of the airplane was before the incident, and how solid it was after. I did not alter the engine offset. The model flies well enough as it is and I did not see a need to change anything. Mine had fuselage mounted carbon gear, and you may want to consider fuse mounted gear and install the necessary stuff to do that at this stage. As for beefing up the wing mounts, I didn't have to deal with that, but I would at least try to duplicate the rib sections where the blocks attach to the wing  as a re-enforcement there, at a minimum.
  What engine are you planning on?
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:35:16 AM »
  I know I have described my experience with the Score several times, but will cover it again here. My experience began when the engine parted from the rest of the fuselage in flight! It pulled to the right and the prop took a bite out of the right leading edge, The rest of the airplane flopped down in good shape.
   On my airplane, all the hot glue was coming apart, and that is what caused the problem. I could pick it off the joints with a tweezers or hemostats. Then I just used thin C/A along all the normal glue joints to re-assemble the front end, with some thinned epoxy brushed along the joints to help out and fuel proof things. I added some balsa triangles here and there where they looked like they might help out. After I was finished, it only added a half ounce to the overall weight of the airplane, including fixing the leading edge of the right wing. There is nothing wrong with the structure or design, the problem is the glue they used. One observation after I made the repair. I had never felt much vibration, really none at all, at the handle when flying the model. After the repair, I could feel the engine running at the handle. Nothing disturbing, just a significant difference. That is how "loose" the front end of the airplane was before the incident, and how solid it was after. I did not alter the engine offset. The model flies well enough as it is and I did not see a need to change anything. Mine had fuselage mounted carbon gear, and you may want to consider fuse mounted gear and install the necessary stuff to do that at this stage. As for beefing up the wing mounts, I didn't have to deal with that, but I would at least try to duplicate the rib sections where the blocks attach to the wing  as a re-enforcement there, at a minimum.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
I have a round 6oz Sullivan tank but not sure if I want to try that out get a 6oz RST. I'm never successful at plumbing uniflow.  I have a ABC ST51 I'm gong to try,  if that sucks I have a ST60 but I think they vibrate a lot so I don't know how well the airplane will hold up. Did you glue the tank cover on for more support? I hate to do that cause I know I'll be plagued with tank problems. What do you mean by duplicate rib sections? Adding more ribs around the landing gear blocks? If you go with fuse mounted landing do you make another plywood bulkhead in front of the wing to mount the gear?

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
Maybe I better go with the ST60. I see a lot of people saying the 51 isn't enough.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Don't be shy... Type at me now S?P
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 10:58:26 PM »
I knew about the firewall glue issue when I bought an assembled Score cheap. I peeled the hot glue out, CA'd the joints, glued triangle stock firewall to fuse side in the tank compartment. Sealed everything in nose and tank compartment with 2 coats of slow set epoxy.
I cut front 1/2 ribs from 1/8 hard balsa and doubled the ribs supporting wing gear bloks.
Cut vertical grain 1/16 shear webs and tied spats together out to end of gear blocks.
Upgraded controls with same basic hardware you show, elevator adj is a bear,I cut a small access hole on side opposite factory hatch.
My flies fine with a ST .51 w/ tounge muffler and plastic tank on muffler pressure.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
I knew about the firewall glue issue when I bought an assembled Score cheap. I peeled the hot glue out, CA'd the joints, glued triangle stock firewall to fuse side in the tank compartment. Sealed everything in nose and tank compartment with 2 coats of slow set epoxy.
I cut front 1/2 ribs from 1/8 hard balsa and doubled the ribs supporting wing gear bloks.
Cut vertical grain 1/16 shear webs and tied spats together out to end of gear blocks.
Upgraded controls with same basic hardware you show, elevator adj is a bear,I cut a small access hole on side opposite factory hatch.
My flies fine with a ST .51 w/ tounge muffler and plastic tank on muffler pressure.
Thanks for the reply. Did you cut out the original shear web and make your half ribs from the spar to the leading edge?

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
I used a monokote heat gun to remove the hot glue.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
I put a Tom Morris suspended bellcrank in.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
I used 3/32 plywood and made rib doublers and a shear web. Added a hardwood block to extend the landing gear through.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 08:44:24 PM »
I coated the tank area with thinned epoxy, added a 1/8 plywood to the firewall hopefully to add strength when mounting the R/C style engine mounts.   I added triangular gussets to the corners.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »
I made new landing gear and made it 1in longer. I used 1/8 wire, hope it's not too flimsy.

I'm sure I made this fat pig way heavier than it has to be.

I'm impressed with the fit of this airplane, everything is a snug fit. The covering is pretty bad for sure. My ARF Nobler has far better covering than this one.

The SC-ARF is almost done. The dreaded tank plumbing is next.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Reinforced Score pictures
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »
She's looking good to this point.   Remember to get some break in time on the engine.   Do a search on here about Shug Emory's Score.   I got to fly John Benders Score after he put the nose back on.   Much better flying plane than I am a pilot.  I know John did well with his even though some people say it might be heavy design.   Happy new year. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
She's looking good to this point.   Remember to get some break in time on the engine.   Do a search on here about Shug Emory's Score.   I got to fly John Benders Score after he put the nose back on.   Much better flying plane than I am a pilot.  I know John did well with his even though some people say it might be heavy design.   Happy new year. H^^
Thanks Doc! I've seen Shugs Score on here and talked to him about it a few times. I need to get a muffler for it and finish the cowl up but other than that it only needs some warm weather! Maybe onto the the SV-11 now...

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »
Unfortunately it's pretty close to 70oz. It will be interesting to see how it flys.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
You may have to fly just a little faster.  My P-63 was a 69 ounce plane that flew decently until I let it get behind me doing the reverse wingover.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
I wouldn't worry about weight so much. There's not much you can do to make an ARF lighter, it's already built. My big ringmaster is 80oz with a K&B 61. I think you'll be just fine.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
I wouldn't worry about weight so much. There's not much you can do to make an ARF lighter, it's already built. My big ringmaster is 80oz with a K&B 61. I think you'll be just fine.
Thanks for the positive thoughts Dane! Post a picture of your ringmaster, I'd like to see that big boy!  What size handle did you get from Brent? 3.5in?

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here