News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rabe Rudder For TF Score?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Dallas Healey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Rabe Rudder For TF Score?
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:37:28 AM »
I lost a TF Score during a comp in strong wind last weekend (very embarrassing in front of judges!). I have never been happy with the line tension up high on either of the two Scores that I have owned. I have tried shifting the leadouts back and putting in more tip weight with no discernable difference in line tension when doing the overhead maneouvres. Finally I lost it completely going into the top loop of the vertical eight and it splattered on the opposite side of the circle despite a rapid retreat try to get line tension back. I have been running an Enya 61 CXS on 20% nitro which seems to handle the 68oz model OK on a CF 2 blade 13 x 5.25 prop and 65 ft lines. The low manouvres such as the squares, horizontal eights and triangles are fine but I had a few prior close calls during the high maneouvres before losing the model. I am sure that all the flying surfaces were aligned correctly and the model was tracking well in level flight.

Has anybody tried either rudder offset or gone all the way and set up a "rabe" rudder on one of these?

Alan Hahn

Re: Rabe Rudder For TF Score?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »
I don't have a TF Score, so consider that in this reply.

When you are flying above 45 degrees the problem is that you are slow---the force on the lines due to "centripetal force" is proportional to mass of plane (there you are ok!)  x the square of the velocity, all divided by the line length). Up high you have the added effect that gravity is pulling more or less in the direction of the lines, also decreasing tension.

So your lack of tension is basically a lack of airspeed, not really, I think, of engine or rudder offset (they might help some as long as they don't decrease the airspeed!). The TF Score is a heavy bird, so my guess is that you need more power, so that you can keep the airspeed up as you climb. Using shorter lines would help too.

The Rabe Rudder was primarily a device to counteract the gyroscopic effect of the prop when you hit a square corner. The gyroscopic effect will push the nose outward on an inside corner, but push it inward on an outside corner (or vice versa <= !). So it can't hurt and could help some in the corners, but I think you need more power.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »
My Saito 56 powered Score has no problems at all with line tension anywhere and handles wind well. Running 5.2 second laps on 63 foot lines Eye to Eye. I believe Alan hit the nail on the head..

Eric Viglione

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
What the others said, ditto. I don't see your problem as a function of the Score design, just a typical trim issue. Overhead line tension is a tricky beast, because of the trade-off's usually involved elsewhere in the pattern. Without knowing much about your Enya (it's a 2 stroke, right? Heh...) and your C/G, it's hard to make a recommendation. A few wild guesses would be that your Enya isn't breaking hard enough, and / or your high 20% nitro / prop combo isn't letting it. 20% is an awfull lot for most 2 strokes, and will dumb down the response of the engine. If airspeed falls off, it'll slack. If you add some engine off-set, it may help, but I wouldn't go more than 2 or 3 degree's max. The problem with off-set, is the Enya will have to be up to the task, because you will be using some of your power for outward, as well as forward motion, plus too much leads to other trim issue's. Leadout placement you could at least ball park by hanging the plane from the leadouts and verifying the nose is slightly down.

Hope that helps,
EricV

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »
Hi Dallas, I've had several scores and they all seem to have the same problem, get in a tight situation and they seem to stall out. I rebuild one using a magnum fuseage with the magnum tail set up. It flys a lot better than the original plane. The enya 60 is plenty of power for the plane with the right setting. I have tried several different engines and the plane seems to have the same tendencies. With more power the problem seems to disappear. Some say its a great plane, I don't disagree, I just say watch the plane and everyone I've seen has the same problem. If you set the engine up with the fuseage that comes with arf your engine off set is very great. Good luck and sorry for your lost. There is several articles in this forum about the score, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
Sounds like you want to build another one, else why the question. If you do, I think the Enya will be more than adequate power. I have a 61 CXS that will go in my Score when it is broken in. Power now is a ST51, which has been fine power wise. I have maybe too much line tension, and no shortage of tension overhead. A clue to your tension loss may be that you moved the leadouts BACK, apparently seeking more tension overhead. The stunt gurus say move leadouts FORWARD to get more tension, resulting in more retension of airspeed by reducing drag as the model presents less side area ie less skidding and more penetration. After about 200 flights on my Score I like it a lot and have none of the problems you mention.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Dallas
My condolences on the lost model.  I believe your problem was the leadouts were too far BACK.  Seems counter-intuitive but more ikely than not it was the cause.  When the leadouts are aft you have lots of line tension down low but it all goes away above 45 degrees.

I have always believed that trim problems are best addressed and resolved at low power settings - as you go faster things should get better, but if you have to fly fast with a 60 CXS just to keep the airplane from drilling you in the sunglasses - you should be looking for trim help.  Don't let high flight speeds mask a different problem. 

I think Brett Budk posted a trimming primer on the Open Forum section a couple weeks ago - might want to look that up and see if/how it applies to your situation...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »
Dallas:
Sheesh, I forgot to get back to your original post: The Score has kind of a smallish fin and you had a good sized prop on it.  It certainly would be a candidate for a coupled "Rabe Rudder" Cannot say that it would have prevented the crash you experienced, but it does offer a means for further refinement.

Hope Al weighs in here with a comment, Plan B would be to write him directly for some guidance on how to set-it up and trim it out. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
I lost a TF Score during a comp in strong wind last weekend (very embarrassing in front of judges!). I have never been happy with the line tension up high on either of the two Scores that I have owned. I have tried shifting the leadouts back and putting in more tip weight with no discernable difference in line tension when doing the overhead maneouvres.

Has anybody tried either rudder offset or gone all the way and set up a "rabe" rudder on one of these?

Rudder offset or, worse, moving the leadouts aft,  *hurts* overhead tension!  Both tend to crab the airplane sideways in flight and that is very very bad for overhead tension. Even in tiny amounts.

The Rabe rudder will, at best, not help this problem very much. The intent of the Rabe rudder is to compensate for gyroscopic precession of the prop and to *prevent the airplane from yawing*. Perfectly adjusted, it can help with the top two corners of the hourglass and maybe a bit with the overheads.

But note well the "perfectly adjusted" part. Almost every single Rabe rudder I have ever seen is so grossly maladjusted that it hurt the performance severely. Even in the hands of some extremely well-known and accomplished pilots. I figure if Top 5 pilots can't adjust it anywhere close, most people will be in real trouble. Note that the intent is to get rid of yaw - not induce it (as you are suggesting with the rudder offset questions). But almost always, it's adjusted to provide tremendously excessive offset. Only a tiny motion is needed to compensate for precession in most cases, but frequently it's set to flop back and forth an inch or more.

The point is, unless you are an absolute master at trimming, you will not be able to take advantage of the slight improvement that is provided with the Rabe Rudder, and much more likely, you will make the airplane fly much worse.

Bottom line is - set the leadouts per LINEII (or Bob Reeves' LINEIII) and leave them there. Add an adjustable rudder, but start with the fin and rudder *dead straight ahead*. Do it just as carefully as any other alignment.  Add about 1/16 of offset. Then fly the airplane. If the airplane is yawed away from you in level flight, or noses in on hard corners, reduce the offset. If it's yawed in at you, it gets unexpectedly light on the lines at the entrance to the inside rounds, or the airplane noses out on hard corners, add offset. Go in 1/32" increments -that's a very significant adjustment. The best you can do with this is to get a tiny inboard yaw on outsides and a tiny outboard yaw on insides. The Rabe rudder would hypothetically remove that, and that's *all it is supposed to do*.

Brett
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:31:02 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
Sorry you lost your Score. Hope you did not spend much extra time modifying it. I reworked mine a lot. The front end mods took out some of the engine offset, but I couldn't take it all out or the cowl would not fit right. As you know, it curves to the outside to mesh with offset built into the firewall.

I did add a rudder. It's adjustable but not coupled to the elevator. I don't use much rudder offset. If there is any advantage it's the side area added to the fin. The rudder is easily removed but I've never flown without it. Mine weights 80 ounces and it took several weeks to get it trimmed and with the right engine to fly an adequate pattern. Now I just want to fly it!

Last week another local flier brought a nearly box stock Score to the field. Power was a LA .46 and the weight was nearly a full pound less than mine. He asked me to fly it and I did, twice. It was friskier than mine with sharper corners and good (but not overbearing) line tension. I did some basic stunts and could have done the pattern but did not want to risk losing his model. There was no rudder or rudder offset and close to stock engine offset. Prop was a Zinger 11X6, fuel Sig 10% and lines .018" X 62 feet. According to the new rules I must fly mine on .021" lines (currently 64 feet). Only a strong Super Tigre .60 can handle both the 5 pound weight and the heavy lines.

In my opinion this is a decent design, especially when you consider the relatively low cost and (if lots of changes are not made) the few shop hours required to assemble it. I think the key to making it competitive is really good stunt power to handle the drag of it's high lift wing, combined with a weight of 70 ounces or less so you have an acceptable power to weight ratio. Regards, EWP

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here