News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about the UKey model engine size  (Read 1277 times)

Offline 11290

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Question about the UKey model engine size
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »
Saw where he has a .15 size, .35 size and a .40 size model.  Wondering if the .35 needs that size engine or would the LA25 work on it.  Would like to get the .35 size but currently have 2 LA 25's and 1 OS 40. 
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline GEOFFREY

• Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
Re: Question about the UKey model engine size
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:09:04 PM »
Go with the 0s25 , two of our locals  relearn the habit with the ukey  ..60 lines  was a very good flier.even after many  patches   have funnnnnn   geoffrey out
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
I  have a Ukey 35 with a Fox 35 on it and it really moves.  Your LA 25 should be just fine.  The Ukey is light and has a great glide.  I like mine.  Best $70 I ever spent on control line.
Shawn Kuntz
Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
I have a Ukey that is made from leftovers, Joe Just donated it to me last year when I had just started flying. It was the big wing,(520 squares I think) and a shorter fuse. I use a LA 25 on it and couldnt be happier with both.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »
If I buy another Ukey or should I say when I buy another Ukey I am going to go for the 40 sized version.  I think the extra wing area would be a real benefit.  Like I said the Ukey 35 flies just fine with my Fox 35 but there is enough power to easily handle the larger version.
Shawn Kuntz
Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Looking to get back to CL after about 38 years away and thought I would start with a couple of Ukey's before moving on.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 06:23:29 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Looking to get back to CL after about 38 years away and thought I would start with a couple of Ukey's before moving on.

I agree with the others.  The LA 25 will be fine on the 35 size Ukey. y1  It would probably fly the 40 size ok!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:16:50 AM »
The Ukey 35 will definitely fly well on a good 25.  I flew mine with a SSW Thunder Tiger 25 turning a cleaned up RevUp 9X4 on 61' x .015 lines (measured from the handle to the bell crank). It was a great combination!  It also flew very well with the Fox 35 described below and the difference, for my purposes, was insignificant.

I fly my Ukey 40 on a GMA Custom Fox 35 with stuffer backplate and hemi-head, 10x5 BY&O (Brodak), on .015 lines, 61' from eyelet to eyelet (I added permanent cable leadouts to this one).  It, too, is a great combination.  I am going to try the TT 25 on the Ukey 40, but, probably, with slightly shorter lines to start with.

Regarding the Ukey 40/Fox 35 combination let me make a couple of observations that might be helpful.  First, Jim Pearson suggests that the plane balance on the spar about half way between the fuselage and the wing tip.  At first, mine balanced about a 1/2" behind that spot even after I changed to single peg landing gear to two wheel gear.  While it certainly was flyable, it did want to hunt.  The addition of just 3/4 oz. to the nose greatly improved that.  Second, with the relatively long lines it was necessary to add 1/2 oz. of tip weight to get the wings level upright and inverted.  However, the plane is a pre-Jim Pearson version and I do not know whether Jim has changed anything.  I will find out when my new Ukey 40s arrive.

I am a retread who is using the Ukey 40 to thrash my way through learning the pattern.  It was a great thrill for me when I did my first vertical eight a couple of weeks ago.  In my opinion, the Ukeys are a boon to folks in my situation.  I learn new stuff on my Ukey, then haul out one of my kit-built or scratch-built planes and try it on it.  Try a Ukey; you'll love it, especially since in the world of model airplanes it is so ugly that it is almost cute.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:55:14 AM by Peter Hess »
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here