News:

• May 08, 2024, 07:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Primary Force fuselage bow  (Read 1290 times)

Online Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Primary Force fuselage bow
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »
I recently took delivery of a Primary Force ARF.  When I opened it to examine the components I found the fuselage pretty badly bowed inboard (approximately 5/8" from front to back).  I called Sig and they sent me out a replacement, but it too was similarly bowed, though maybe not quite so badly.  The PF fuselage is laminated from three plies of 4 mm balsa.  I had already planned to strip the film and paint the fuse but due to the laminated construction, I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to straighten it. 

Has anyone else found this with their PF and, if so, what did you do?  I'm open to ideas.  I'll cut a new fuselage if I have to, but I'd like to salvage one of the two I have if possible.

Gary Mondry 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:30:42 PM by Gary Mondry »
AMA 10663

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Primary Force fuselage bow
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
Cut a new fues. My ARF PF had all kinds of vibration issues due to a soft nose. It also bowed but not as badly as yours. I was able to compensate for the bow with offset wedges. A standard half inch balsa fues with real maple motor mounts run past the leading edge of the wing and true five ply doublers should be a vast improvement. The plane itself flies quite well when the ARF liabilities are overcome.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
I'd call Sig and ask to speak to Mike Gretz, I'm sure he'll try his best to satisfy you.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
Did you get it in the last few weeks?  I got one from Tower earlier this month and it had a pretzel fuselage, and the quality of everything was terrible.  It was my second P-Force ARF and a total joke compared to the first.  The trailing edge had the lazer cut notch for the pushrod on the top of the wing in addition to the bottom, but the covering was solid over it.  I fired off a email to Tower, and they had another out to me in 3 days that was better then the first one.  It was straight, was covered better, and weighed less then either of the first two.  The bent fuselage plane went back to Tower's customer service, I've been waiting to see it pop up in the scratch and dent bin.  I wonder if it's the same arf or the same guy on the assembly line that's laughing his butt off?

Either way, I'd say order another one and send that one back.  Keep doing it till you get a good one, cause they're really good planes when you get a good one.  I got my first one at the end of last summer and put  200+ flights on it last year without doing much of any trim work, and no fiddling.  The new one flew good enough off the bench I flew the pattern on the third flight.  When I get the pipe length/venturi size, etc worked out it's going to be awesome.  One of mine has a OS 25F the other a 32F, both on pipe and I haven't had any problems with engine runs.  There are some hollow spots in the fuselage, but it's nothing like the TF ARF's.  I crashed the one twice, once over asphalt the other on grass, and the asphalt crash broke the fuselage behind the wing.  They're REALLY overbuilt. 

All I did was toss all the kit hardware.  The supplied tank works really well, and I used the supplied pushrod with a piece of carbon tube slipped over the top.  CA hinges don't seem to work for me, so Dubro pinned hinges, and a Dubro elevator horn.  I fly off grass at home, so 2 1/4" wheels were added, and I left the wheelpants off.  I can't really say enough nice about them, for the price they're a nice kit.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
So much for ARF's.   You gets what you paid for.  The alternative is flip the wing over and learn to fly backwards.  Mine was built from a short kit.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »
Contact Sig. No reason to suffer. n1

They have always come through for me in the past as has Brodak and RSM and a lot of other Modeling enterprises. As a matter of fact I don't think I have ever been left in the lurch when something wasn't right. Biggest problem is picking up the phone or keyboard and getting in touch!

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
True one can get a new ARF Fues, an unbowed one. Initially mine was unbowed but built up with soft ply and (soft?) motor mounts. Bad vibes. Couldn't get a decent engine run. I made up an aluminum plate for the lock nuts, to spread the tightening force out. Using the plate and steel (!) mounting pads allowed me to tame the front end. (Dan Banjok was kind enough - as he always is - to help troubleshoot the vibration issues.) When the bolts were cinched tight the nose bowed some. Not too bad. Offset wedges compensated well enough for bow. Now I get a reliable run as long as the bolts are checked and tightened for each flight. Anyway, after going through all that, in the future I would cut a new fues and be done with the issue, if I buy another ARF PF. Which flies quite well. I've thought of simply buying the wing and cutting out the rest. Easy enough to do. That way I'd be sure of the quality components. Interesting side bar to me, is that the Ultra Hobby ARF Nobler uses Sig motor mounts. Wonder if Sig could get China some decent ply and motor mounts to upgrade the quality of those critical parts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:22:39 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Online Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »
Alan,

I did contact Sig, and to their credit, they did send out a replacement fuselage (immediately).  Problem is, it wasn't much better than the first.  Tower has also indicated that they would exchange it.  I don't really have a beef with either company, I'm just 0 for 2 and not optimistic that further returns will benefit anyone besides UPS.  That's why I ask what others may have done.

Andrew,

I did get it in the last few weeks (6/25) but I doubt that it was a previous return.  All the boxes looked untouched.  I may give Tower one more iteration.

Dennis,

I may still consider cutting a new fuse.  The wing and stab look okay.  I'll have to see what the local wood supply looks like.  Like I said, I had planned to strip and paint the fuse anyway.  I'm not a fan of film on a fuselage, and especially around the engine.

Doc,

Good to hear from you.  See you in Wichita next month?

Gary Mondry
AMA 10663

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
Well, just to let you know, there were some straight ones (I have one of the first batch). I did have to add a cheek cowl (like the one on the Profile Pathfinder) to solve some engine run issues.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
  Dennis, Who would you contact for the wing or any other parts that a fellow might want ?
    Thanks for the advice, Gil #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:21:51 AM »
Sig has the individual pieces offered on the website. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here