News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power for a Score?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Power for a Score?
« on: February 20, 2022, 03:06:57 PM »
     Hi:

I am torn between powering an ARF Score via an OS 46 SF or an ASP .61 engine. 

Any suggestions/comments.

TIA

Frank McCune

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Power for a Score?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 03:18:36 PM »
  The Top Flite Score is heavy, but it carries it's weight well. Don't consider anything less than a .60 for it.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
     Hi:

I am torn between powering an ARF Score via an OS 46 SF or an ASP .61 engine. 

A properly-operating OS46SF is plenty. That means a stock unit.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 09:50:52 PM »
Half a dozen electric motors should suffice.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 06:46:26 AM »
     Hi:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

My flying mate has talked me into using the OS .46 SF in the Score.  It fits the engine compartment and is 8 oz. lighter.  The ASP .61 would require a bit of alteration to the nose and a bit of tail weight. 

If the .46 does t have enough power, the Score will look great hanging my garage! Lol

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 08:03:10 AM »
     Hi:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

My flying mate has talked me into using the OS .46 SF in the Score.  It fits the engine compartment and is 8 oz. lighter.  The ASP .61 would require a bit of alteration to the nose and a bit of tail weight. 

If the .46 does t have enough power, the Score will look great hanging my garage! Lol

Stay well,

Frank

My Score is powered  by a Saito .56. Most people think right off, "Ooooh, heavy engine." Four strikes are heavy, but in the case of this airplane, with it's stick nose length, the extra weight of the engine makes it balance very nicely. My Score weighs in at 72 ounces I believe. but Like I mentioned before, it carries the weight well. I got the airplane and engine in a pretty good deal and got it to experience four strokes a bit

I have lighter engines that I could use in it, such as ST.60's and ST.51s, but then I would just have add weight to the nose to get it to balance and will still be at around 72 ounces. The model is kind of big and draggy but with the Saito it has plenty of power to swing a 13-6 and 13-7 prop and it has served me pretty well once I learned the ways of the force with running four strokes and liked it a lot. I was not ready to sell all my Super Tigres but just find the power plant interesting along with the type of power that t makes. I have had it long enough and flown it enough that I had the engine fly off at Oshkosh one year, like a lot of others have had, but was able to repair the damage and got it flying as well as ever. The issue is the not melt glue that they use to assemble these with in China. Vibration gets to it as the glue ages and it lets go. I made the repairs with C/A and a few extra gussets, and coated everything with thinned epoxy. It's to the point now that the original covering is falling apart and falling off so the next stage for it is a recover. Observe the nose on yours carefully as you put time on it.

Try your .46SF and report back with what the entire set up is, what it weighs and what you had to add to get it balanced. Most all of them that I have read about on here needs something in the nose and weighed in at the 70 ounce range. If you are not happy with the airplane I'll trade you something else to just take up some space on your ceiling!
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here