News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:52:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What would have happened in flight?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
What would have happened in flight?
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:36:43 PM »
I recently moved, and after I changed my mind from using a U-Haul truck to using PODS transport and storage, I packed all my boxes in the container, then strung a wire across the container to support some planes.  I just attached the leadouts to the wire going across and hoped nothing would shift in transport.  So, my PODS container arrived this morning at 0730.  When I opened it up, everything was pretty much as I packed it. 

The only casualty was a Smoothie ARF that I had bought a swap meet a few years ago and never flew.  It was on the floor, and I figured that I just hadn’t done a good job of attaching the leadouts to the wire. 

I picked it up and examined it for damage.  Luckily, no damage to the covering and no discernible damage to the wing/fuse, since it fell on the excess folds of a moving blanket.  But when I looked at the left wingtip, no leadouts.  Hmmm….  A second look at the wire showed the leadouts were still attached to the wire to the left of the Ringmaster, just not the Smoothie.  Examining the bellcrank end of the leadouts showed that the sleeve had never even been crimped!?!

What would have happened if I had actually flown the plane???    *SIGH*    Now I have to do surgery and redo the bellcrank.  Anyone else ever done this surgery before on a Smoothie ARF?  Maybe a pic of the manual showing the location/attachment of the bellcrank?  The plane was completed when I bought it and had no manual.

Mark

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
Re: What would have happened in flight?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »

What would have happened if I had actually flown the plane???    *SIGH*    Now I have to do surgery and redo the bellcrank.  Anyone else ever done this surgery before on a Smoothie ARF?  Maybe a pic of the manual showing the location/attachment of the bellcrank?  The plane was completed when I bought it and had no manual.

Mark

The Brodak airplanes with the stainless steel thimble have a history of failure. They are one too stiff and a don't bite in to the cable to secure it and two tend to crack and let go. The Smoothies have a corrosion problem as well. Call Brodak, they are are aware of the Smothie troubles and will probably send you a lead out kit. Show them your picture.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 10:22:39 PM »
   We had an incident with a Brodak Oriental ARF that a club member got from another club member who was disposing of his model stuff. I don't think it had ever been flown. I went in on the first or second flight when something happened to the lead outs, not real sure if it was this same issue but probably was. That is what pull tests are for. A good initial 40 to 50 pound pull test before the first flight might had found that.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 06:34:59 PM »
   We had an incident with a Brodak Oriental ARF that a club member got from another club member who was disposing of his model stuff. I don't think it had ever been flown. I went in on the first or second flight when something happened to the lead outs, not real sure if it was this same issue but probably was. That is what pull tests are for. A good initial 40 to 50 pound pull test before the first flight might had found that.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

We concluded the same thing. Chuck lost a Vector 40 first flight. Those SS crimp tubes were cracked. It let go 1/4 lap in to the flight.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 08:10:37 PM »
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I saw a Brodak ARF of some sort lose a leadout at a contest, right after a pull test.  I can't remember what the plane was, but I remember that the pilot keep that one-line airplane off the ground by stepping into the bottoms of the loops and stepping away from the tops, then he lucked out when the engine died at just the right spot for a fairly smooth landing.  All it needed was a new control system.

ARFs and control systems don't seem to go well together -- I had a Top Flight Nobler give up on me in flight because the controls bound up, and I remember being Not Amused by the controls in the one ARF Fright Streak that I owned.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 12:17:38 AM »
ARFs and control systems don't seem to go well together -- I had a Top Flight Nobler give up on me in flight because the controls bound up, and I remember being Not Amused by the controls in the one ARF Fright Streak that I owned.
So true.  I nearly lost an ARF Nobler when the leadouts, poorly crimped, caught on the bellcrank floor on the 1st flight.  I cannot understand why the makers of these things don't put in better controls.  Especially Brodak.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 12:39:14 AM »
More Vectors, Victor!

The crimp sleeves were not suitable:
--Appeared to be nickel-plated brass, but not annealed. Too hard and too brittle
--The ID was too large, meaning that they had to deform the sleeves too far, which caused the sleeves to crack. (Both of mine were cracked.)
--The wall was too thin, meaning that after they were crimped, they didn't have the ability to resist opening up, which would allow slipping.
--They were too short

Other than that, they were perfect in every way.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:21 PM »
If we ever have to actually go to war with China, let's hope all their military crap  is just that, crap. Many items coming out of there are terrible as to quality and seldom last. D>K

I've read articles recently (in The Economist, I think) that corruption is rife in the Chinese military, and their state of readiness is crap.  Basically, people are buying their way into the military because it's such a good way to get rich: that's not going to happen in a military that's actually serving (as, I'm sure, many of you can attest).

Add to that the fact that China is organized so that the military is independent of civilian control, so the civilian state can't rein them in -- if they tried, there'd just be a coup, and then the generals would be running the place.

Or -- it's all just wishful thinking and they can crush us.  But I suspect that any place where people can't speak up and be heard is a place where @$#% is going to happen, sooner or later.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 08:34:06 AM »
First generation Brodak ARFs and ARCs had @#$% poor leadouts...the crimps were an issue. ALL crimps should be addressed...
ARCs are easy. ARFs require surgery on a panel.
We have found that warm epoxy drizzled / drawn into the crimp, them re-crimped. Sounds a bit "Rube Goldburg" but it works.
Have fun

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 11:54:20 AM »
If crimps are done right you don't epoxy or glue.  I have lines and lead outs that have passed many pull tests and high winds.  The late Carl Shoupe put me onto them. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here