News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P40 HINGES?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Russ Danneman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
P40 HINGES?
« on: November 08, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
hey guys, putting together brodak p40 arc  , should i use suppiled hinges or replace? brodak supplies them, they must think they  are satisfactory? thanks for advice!!
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Alan Hahn

Re: P40 HINGES?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
I don't recall the P40 hinge material (I have one but it's been a long time ago). If it is the CA type hinge, then change them--Dubro's work well.

If it is a plastic pin hinge (like a Dubro), as long as the movement is completely free, then I would probably use them. If they are sticky, and it isn't something trivial to fix them (like removing a little flashing), then I would replace them with Dubro. Remember you will have something like 10 to 14 hinges moving in every control input, so a little friction will add up fast.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:43:43 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
Checked my P-40 ARF and it has the CA hinges, When I make mine I'll use the pin type.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
Everyone replaces the Brodak CA type (looks like thick, stiff silkspan) hinges. Why?

It is like truck stops.

A survey of truckers at a Diner were asked, “Why did you stop here to eat?” The most common answer was, “There’s a lot of trucks here, and you know what that means!”  y1

So, ask why replace the hinges? Because a lot of guys do it, and you know what that means!

The reported “disadvantages” of the stock hinges are stiffness (particularly new) and lack of durability. How true are those statements?

Who knows? Everyone replaces the stock hinges, ya know.  ;)

Larry Fulwider

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
CA hinges are stiffer. Stiff. Work the controls on an ARF with the stock hinges and there's noticeable drag. Carefully installed pin hinges are smoother, much less drag. Free working controls allow the flier to maneuver a plane when there's little or no line tension. Could be the difference between a splat and a recovery. Also, free working controls are more accurate when doing the tricks.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »
CA hinges are stiffer. Stiff. Work the controls on an ARF with the stock hinges and there's noticeable drag. Carefully installed pin hinges are smoother, much less drag. Free working controls allow the flier to maneuver a plane when there's little or no line tension. Could be the difference between a splat and a recovery. Also, free working controls are more accurate when doing the tricks.

Bingo!  H^^
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Warren Allred

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
As an example, I built a Top-Flite Tutor II in my return to control line and used the CA hinges.

It flew okay but felt stiff compared to the SkyRay some locals let me fly. Corners were sluggish.

I cut them, put in pin hinges, and man what a difference in feel, controllability and smoothness!

Toss the CA hinges... Please...  :P
-- Warren in San Diego
AMA 19909
LSF 8170 Lvl V

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
got some pin hinges. going with them. thanks
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Advertise Here