Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

Oriental ARF instructions

(1/2) > >>

Electric George:
I found an Oriental ARF in the box for a good price. It all looks as new, straight and with no wrinkles in the covering.
However, there are a few issues:

1.There is no assembly instructions. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this ARF ? It looks like it will go together without the need for instructions but I would be interested to read them anyway.

2. The flaps are straight but I noticed one is stiff and weighs 1.19 ounces. The other flexes easily compared to the other and weighs just 0.6 ounces. I am a concerned about the flex and possible warping issues later. I guess the hinges will help to negate some of the flex? Or am I being too cautious? I guess I should make replacements but this will mean purchasing a roll of covering and two rolls of trim.

3. The canopy has yellowed. I will probably just paint it black as an easy fix.

I have begun reading the many threads on here about the Oriental ARF and gathering all the suggestions for mods/ beefing up areas and replacing the Lead outs. I will go electric.

Ken Culbertson:
In my younger days i would have just flown it, griped a bit about the roll in corners but adapted.  Now I realize just how important balanced flaps are.  No way you are going to balance those two extremes.  Make new ones.  Can you get the covering to match?  The Chinese "monokote" is close but not an exact match.

Ken

john e. holliday:
Make sure you get a good glue joint between the fuselage and the wing..  I did the replacing of the control system and it was a terrific plane for me until the fuse and wing decided to not stay together..  If I ever do another I will add to the inside of the fuse and make sure all wood is showing.  My problem then was could not get extra glue in the joint once the wing was attched. D>K

Electric George:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on September 23, 2023, 08:17:03 AM ---In my younger days i would have just flown it, griped a bit about the roll in corners but adapted.  Now I realize just how important balanced flaps are.  No way you are going to balance those two extremes.  Make new ones.  Can you get the covering to match?  The Chinese "monokote" is close but not an exact match.

Ken

--- End quote ---

Hi Ken,
Thanks, I knew I needed sort it out really. I just needed someone to tell me to get on with it! I think you are right and it will be tricky to find an exact match for the colour but close will be good enough or I may recover the flaps in a different colour anyway.

Thanks again.

Electric George:

--- Quote from: john e. holliday on September 23, 2023, 11:28:05 AM ---Make sure you get a good glue joint between the fuselage and the wing..  I did the replacing of the control system and it was a terrific plane for me until the fuse and wing decided to not stay together..  If I ever do another I will add to the inside of the fuse and make sure all wood is showing.  My problem then was could not get extra glue in the joint once the wing was attched. D>K

--- End quote ---

Hi John,
Thanks for that. I will definitely add that to the priority list. Good to hear you enjoyed flying it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version