News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ordered a Pathfinder ARC - Now what?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ordered a Pathfinder ARC - Now what?
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
Yup, ordered a Pathfinder ARC. Planning a new fuselage for canted, piped, VF on a Dave Brown mount. Maybe 3/4" plank for fuselage. Rattle can fuse, tail and flaps. UltraCote on the open bays. Cloth hinges. I've heard the LG is a little wussy so not quite sure where I'm going with that. Mebby trike, or taildragger with gear in wing, or ? Definite C/F push rod with adjustable elevator horn.

What else needs to be done to these? Bellcrank/leadouts OK? I'm open to your thoughts...

Curiously, the Brodak Pathfinder web site tells us "the C/G is 2 3/4" behind the L.E.". Why does he do that? Do the instructions say something else?

(I know, it's ONLY a "p-----y profile"...)

Ward-O
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:32:45 PM by Ward Van Duzer »
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Ordered a Pathfinder ARC - Now what?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »
 Ward-O,

A Sig "Fazer" profile L/G will work great for you if you build a profile taildragger fuse. I keep at least a couple sets of these on the shelf at all times, they work great for lots of stuff. y1
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:44:43 AM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »
"Wardo",
PF gear is a "trike" gear.
Any torsional strength you can add to the fuselage aft of the TE is recommended.
"Stock" PF's exhibit a twist on corners (noticeable to the naked eye).
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
The rear exhaust engines stack might not clear the top bit of the Hayes mount, but a little work with a Dremel should make it work. I spoke with Mike H. today at the contest. He crashed his "KISS2" yesterday, when the engine quit without warning climbing out of the Clover. He tapped the plastic mount for 4-40 screws, and just screwed 'em in. The corner of one of the mounting lugs was broken off the case at the front hole, but the screws held into the plastic plenty well enough. One screw was bent! Put some LocTite on the screws, snug 'em down and crank them 1/4 turn more. Never check them...just have faith. 

A built-up profile with cross grained sheeting...or 1/64" plywood...would be very good, especially if your profile rules will allow a thicker fuselage. Ours allow up to 3/4" max at the TE (based on AMA rules for profile scale or ?). I'd definitely taper it toward the tailpost. I'd make the core 5/8 thick back to the TE, taper one side, skin it, flip it & shim up at the tailpost, plane the taper into the second side, and skin that. Should stay straight, right? CA! Otherwise, make the core (like a Comet stick model), taper both sides and skin both sides at once? I think it would be worth the effort, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do it. I did an F1A fuselage like that, and it came out straight...I think I did sheet both sides at once. Man, that was a long time ago! OTOH, 1/64" ply on both sides of a light 1/2" balsa slab is uber stiff...use slow CA or epoxy.  @@^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:51:22 AM »
They do work real well without any fuselage modifications....yes, the tail "tilts" but so do a LOT of hot rod full fuse models....

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
Got the Pathfinder ARC Sunday. Pretty darned nice! Only thing I'm looking to change out is the corroded wire stuff. Will lengthen the LG some, and include some real horns.

Marvin, I think I'll use cloth hinges! (Just an old fashioned kind'a guy...)

W.  :-*
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here