News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not having fun with my Score  (Read 10391 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Not having fun with my Score
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »
I really thought the TF Score would be the plane I would be able to make serious progress in taking the pattern to the next level.  Truth is it just isn't happening.  I cannot get the trim sorted out.  At stright and level flight the Score darn near pulls my arm out of the socket, but at 45 degrees the pull falls off by more than half.  Overhead eights, verticle eights and hourglass range from  problematic at best to down right scary.  In the past I seemed to always be fighting engine issues, but this time the ST .51 seems to sing from start to finish, no real 4-2-4 just a very steady two stroke.  No run away and no sag just consistent running.  I am at a loss I really don't know what to do.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Not having fun with my Score
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
Fly 1/2 A, then you could get back to having engine problems!   VD~  HB~> HB~> HB~>
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:45:42 PM »
without more particulars on lap speeds line lenght and such, it really sounds like a classic case of the leadouts being to far back. The airplane yaws while flying and overhead looses to much airspeed to maintain tension. Doesnt the Score use substantial engine offset as well, I think that could contribute to the excessive level flight tension and slack overheads as well. I dont have a Score but if My plane were doing what you say I would first check the airspeed ,line length and after that start moving the leadouts forward. they shoudl be somewhere around 3/4 to 1 inch behind the cg from my experience
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »
Thanks for the help Larry, times like this you find out who your friends are.   Larry didn't you say the lap speeds were around 4.5 seconds?  I am not sure about the offset, the engine appears to be pointed stright ahead but it is not centered on the firewall.  The template they give for the ST 51 intentionally mounts it off center this may produce the same effect as engine off set.  I agree it must be line rake and I will continue to play with it but I just may take up 1/2A, heaven forbid!
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
from what I have read, the reason the engine is not centered on the firewall is to allow the prop and spinner to be centered on the cowling due to the offset.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
    • Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »
Andrew, I don't know what prop you are using, but I'd suggest more diameter and possibly less
pitch.  You need to try and get a 2-4 break as well.  What will this help??-  If you are running
the motor with very little break, ie: flat out in a steady speed, when the Score goes above 45
degrees the motor gives no more power then in level flight.  If the motor is set richer, ie: in a
4 cycle in level flight, the model will fly slower and with less pull.  Then, when you go above
45 degrees, more or less, the motor will break into a 2 cycle and give you more tension
exactly where it's needed.  Adding diameter to the prop will give you more tension without
more speed, given the same pitch, and will load the motor much more - so you will have to
set the needle for a breaking 2-4 or it will overheat and sag in maneuvers.
   This is easier to understand if you think about doing exactly the opposite- set the needle leaner
and use a high pitch prop and less diameter...  Doing this would cause the same problems
you are experiencing. -Lots of pull in level flight, but will want to fall out of the sky
when flying maneuvers.  
   Less pitch will help the model accelerate, you wouldn't want to use 5th gear to climb a steep hill
when you're driving would you?  
   It takes some experimentation with different props and setting the needle to give the
right performance.  I do not use a ST51, so I am not super familiar with how it performs in stock
form, but I do know many send theirs in to be re-timed to give a better 2-4 break.  
   Moving the leadouts should also help, but I think a prop change is needed, as well as a
richer needle at takeoff.  I'd also suggest a uniflow tank if you are not using one, and
LESS nitro if you are not using 5%, and decent oil content.  Good fuel helps the 2-4 break.
If the oil content is low and the nitro too high, the engine will not run cool enough to
return to a 4 cycle after breaking into a 2 after a stunt and return to level flight.
   You need to give us more info on EVERYTHING about your setup to give a more
definitive diagnosis.

Stan Bidowski  H^^
MAAC 17167

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:33 PM »
OK Stan here goes:
Prop 12x5 Wood not sure of the brand (I'm at work) maybe Master Airscrew.  I have a 13x4 I have been giving thought to trying.

As I said 4.5 second lap times.

Fuel ran an castor/Syn 25%x3% with 10% nitro this past week I used a doctored 18%Syn/Castor with 8 additional oz. Castor and 10%nitro.  No real differance in engine performance between them.

60' eylet to eylet .018 multi strand lines.

Take off the engine is tacked at 8700

Tanks is a 6oz clunk with muffler pressure.

I am using a Mac's muffler 1/4wave tuned (sounds very nice)

The engine is just now starting to break-in and it is box stock CL version of the ST 51

Thats all I can think of right now.
Andy

Andrew B. Borgogna

Walter Hicks

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »
I dont mean to sound like a broken record , a St .51 is not nearly enough power to the Score well. 65oz + Try

a .60 with 13x6 prop or Saito. This is a heavy draggy plane!

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »
Possibly try an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop.  Your lap speed is way too high.  Definitely try the 13 x4, it will
help some, but the diameter might be a bit big for the .51.  Try it at 13 inch first, and then trim it
to 12.5 inches in diameter.  Small changes make a big difference.  The Mac's muffler will work good
only with low pitch props.  No wonder it's pulling like a bear....
 Let us now how it goes.
                    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1577&P=M
Stan Bidowski
MAAC 17167

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
Lap time was about 4.7 seconds.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:04 AM »
Having watched 2 of these fly with less then 60 sized motors in them I have to agree that they are underpowered without a 60 in the front.
Saw one of our members with a 46 AX on pipe and it seemed to really pull his arm off till it hit 40 degrees then you had to watch or it could break loose. Other one exhibited the same characteristics.
Mine is going to have the gear moved to the fuselage and I'm going to use a somewhat non standard engine, a 65, just to see how it works.
Dennis

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »
I am seeing a common thread here.  Pulls like a freight train in level flight and at 45 degrees the lines get very light.  Also the one answer to this problem is more power.  I will give the 13x4 a try but if that does not show improvement I will move up to more horsepower.  I may move to a 4-cycle .60.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »
My score flew quite well with a ST51.  Of course, more power is better. For some reason I never could get consistant runs with my motor in my score.  I now think that was from fuel foaming.

One of these days I will get around to installing my STG90 in my Score and see what happens.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
In my experience, I think you would be well advised to try to get more consitant line tension around the hemisphere before you think about more power. If you didnt have enough power tension would be light all over. Light overheads and heavy level flight is classic symptoms of leadouts to far back, perhaps even excessive rudder offset and engine offset. I dont disagree that proper prop selection will help. But I really think you should explore the leadout position first. That comes right of the magic trim chart.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
I agree with Mark. Check to see if the plane is yawing out. That'll rub speed off the plane, causing in to fall in over 45 degrees. The plane may still be under powered after the trim adjustments. It's possible tho, that fixing a yaw out problem, will make the plane work.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
My Score has been a "work in progress".  It is a big draggy plane, but it turns so well!!

I am running a Tom Dixon ST 51 w/APC 12x6, Powermaster 10/22 on 65' eye to eye, lap times 5.1 or so, take off RPM ~8100/8200. 

After adding some nose weight, to improve level flight tracking, I had LOTS of tension in level flight and little tension above 45*.  I moved the rear leadout forward about 1/8 inch and was rewarded with great line tension every where.

As usual, YMMV........ ::)

Cheers,
Jim 
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 05:45:25 AM »
I know some will not agree with this  but a Tigre .51 is not a Tigre .60. A good V.60 has all the power and stable run you need. The .51 may be rated with more ponies its just bull. I sold all my .51's and replaced them with ST V .60's. End of gutless wonder .51's. The v .60 is just a sweet runner just like its smaller brother the G-21 .46. The china made junk has issues with out of round cylinders. Please no attacks I know model engines and the .51 is far from a good engine to me. The Italian made one were very decent but thats history. Ever buy Commie screw driver and snap on first useage?? Or pair of plyers that bent in your hands??
Cheers,Dan

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »
When the TF Tutor II ARF was last offered by Tower, that Chicom 51 was offered with it as a combo, however, I dallied and dithered, and then they were all gone.   But through the kindness of a fellow "Hangarite" here, I did get the plane.  However, instead of that newer 51, I have two of the Italian V-51s to play at aerobatics with.  While I was hunting those down, a V-60 also came my way, but I don't need that for anything I have, other than an unbuilt Magnum.   

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:36 AM »
Yep, you can run a 12x6 with the ST 51 if it is reworked by Tom Dixon.  But I don't think
a 12x6 would work OK on a stock motor, especially with a Macs muffler ( mini pipe ).
In stock form, the 51 with the Macs muffler will like to be run on a low pitch prop.
   Same deal with the OS FP's.

Stan Bidowski

MAAC 17167

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:53 PM »
I seem to have two things to try the next time I take the Score out.  Replace the 12x5 with the 13x4 and move the cables forward.  Given the amount of pull in level flight it seems hard to grasp the engine power being the problem.  I certainly will listen to the advise that's been given and if a .60 is needed a .60 it will be.
Thanks everybody for you help.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
I wish I could get John Bender on this site.  He had one of the first Scores when they were available.  He used the recommended engine and is flying on 65 foot .018 lines.  Of course he had to rebuild the nose and replace controls after the pushrod came apart.  The plane kind of pancaked in whe he noticed he had problems on third flight.  I got to fly it after he had it trimmed to his satisfaction with the 51 size engine.  It was one of the best stunt planes I have flown and had terrific pull in all the maneuvers.  I think the last addition to the plane was a Rabi Rudder.  Don't give up on the 51 unless you wear it out.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
Master Airscrew doesn't list a 12-5 wood, so the prop is probably a standard Zinger (pretty much guaranteed to not work). I'd suggest trying a ProZinger 12-5 (with some hand work),  12.25 x 3.75, 12-4 & 12-5 APC's, Graupner 12-5 and Thunder Tiger's 12.5 x 5.5 (probably trimmed or repitched or both). I have had wonderful increases in overhead line tension, just with a prop change, so don't give up hope on the G.51 yet! Moving the LO's forward may also be required, of course. Keep after it, and be careful with it, until you get it right. Trimming can be a slow process, but worth it. Patience, Grasshopper!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Richard Edwards

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »
I notice on the Tower website they recomend an OS 46LA-S yet as mentioned on this thread the wieght does seem rather high for that size motor also is it possible to put a metal uniflow tank on the model as I have been toying with the idea of buying one but after reading this thread have some doubts, what about putting in a ST G21-46 or a "V" case ST 56 or 'V' case ST 51, I also have several G51 C/L of which one is a Dixon modified one , I do have several 'V' case Super tigre 60's, but wonder if that would not be too much power, yes I know I seem to be Super Tigre engines poor, I just have a particular likeing for them. I would appreciate some good advice as I rather like the look of the model and it does have some innovations built in that make it a rather tempting arf to get, such as adjustable leadouts and  wing wieght box  these two things make it unnescary to strip the covering to put those in, plus fibreglass wheel pants etc., I think I would change the leadouts and pushrods etc., to carbon fibre ball link, but having not got one yet that would be decided once I get one but it does seem that all ARF's need these modifications.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
The ST .60bb's should be great, if you can stiffen up the nose to withstand the vibration. I'd put in a crutch per Randy Aero or WindyU, and slide the tank in through the engine bay. The .56bb would be worth trying, but the ST.51bb's were said to be weak sisters. They'd all interchange, so you should try them all and see. With aluminum pads, you can also try your various G.51's.  Avoid the engine and rudder offsets. The fin/rudder is too ugly, anyway.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »
Hi Andy:

I too have a Score with a ST51 (China version). Mine has been flying about a year and a half, maybe 200 flights. Your problem sounds like a classic case of leadouts too far aft. Mine has good line tension at all attitudes. Try moving the leadouts forward in small increments.

The firewall is angled to produce engine offset. The motor mounts when mounted as shown on the template results in the spinner centered on the cowl and airplane centerline, quite a nifty bit of thinking ahead in the design phase.

I think your lines are way too short for a plane this size and weight. I fly mine on 65' eye to eye Tom Morris lines. I bet your lap times will be about right, low 5-secs, on longer lines without changing anything else.

Tons has been written about trimming and improving the Score, check the Stuka archives. The model flys very well and has a modern, extremely blunt LE and thick airfoil, with large tail volume compared to wing area.

I just put a new Enya 61CXS Pro into mine and have a flight on it. It is a drop-in for ST mounting holes, no changes needed. Great power; looking forward to more test flights so I can report on my findings.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
Is that enya a drop in for the newer G51 or older v case 51?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
To All
I didn't get a chance to fly the Score this past weekend.  Our club "Knights of the Round Circle" held its annual joust contest.  Because I am working on Saturdays I had to compete in Advance on Sunday, please don't ask how I did.  Oh well I took my Stuka Stunt home in one piece.  Anyway I plan to take the Score out again this coming weekend and first on the list of "things to do" is a series of short flight gradually moving the leadouts forward and testing the results with vertical eights.  If the pull improves to a equal pull through the entire vertical eight I will move to the overhead eight.  Once I have faith in both I will work on lap speeds by changing prop and/or line length.  I will let you all know how things turn out on Monday.
Thanks Again
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »
Hi Gordon:

The ST51 I have is the current Chinese-made version. I did have to drill out the holes in the plastic/glass RC-type mounts to use larger (6-32?) mounting bolts but the bolt pattern is the same. I had to enlarge the fiberglas cowl openings for the slightly different exhaust (using Randy Smith tube muffler) stack location and the needle valve is also different (one could say in the "right" place) on the Enya compared to the ST. Prop shaft length is also very close to same, so no problem with prop/cowl clearance.

The 61CXS Pro looks very well made and starts first flip when propped backwards against compression. Look forward to more test flights and trying different props. Currently using Zinger Pro 12-5, 9400 revs at launch.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »

"The 61CXS Pro looks very well made and starts first flip when propped backwards against compression. Look forward to more test flights and trying different props. Currently using Zinger Pro 12-5, 9400 revs at launch."

Any more details?  Inquiring minds want to know   #^
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
61CXS Pro

For the heck of it I went over to Enya to look at this engine.  It seems the 61CXS Pro is very popular engine, "Sold Out".   :(
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:36 PM »
61CXS Pro

For the heck of it I went over to Enya to look at this engine.  It seems the 61CXS Pro is very popular engine, "Sold Out".   :(

Check with Randy Smith and Kaz Minato and the dude in the Canary Islands...all stock Enya stunt engines.  I've heard good things about the service from all three.  y1 Steve

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
Check with Randy Smith and Kaz Minato and the dude in the Canary Islands...all stock Enya stunt engines.  I've heard good things about the service from all three.  y1 Steve
Got my Enyas from all three sources and the best service was from  Kaz Minato and Randy Smith. The third guy took a little longer but acceptiable. HB~>

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 08:05:47 PM »
Possibly try an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop.  Your lap speed is way too high.  Definitely try the 13 x4, it will
help some, but the diameter might be a bit big for the .51.  Try it at 13 inch first, and then trim it
to 12.5 inches in diameter.  Small changes make a big difference.  The Mac's muffler will work good
only with low pitch props.  No wonder it's pulling like a bear....
 Let us now how it goes.
                    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1577&P=M
Stan Bidowski
I am running a 12/6 on my st46 on a heavy Nobler.

Offline Chris Edinger

• Commander
  • Hawker Hurricane
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
Wow.... I just bought a Score.. and a new ST51 (China)... read the instructions which stated that the T/F folks flew theirs with OS 46LA.... and it flew fine.. they stated a 51 may overpower the plane... I Was thinking about using my italian ST46 G21..... now Im totally confused...  HB~> HB~>  Andrew.. keep me posted as to how this works out.. I havent Installed any engine yet... Thanks...

Chris
Lee's Summit MO
AMA 896082

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »
Chris,
Don't believe a word of that drivel..........  ::) 

My first Score weighs ~64 oz. and my Tom Dixon ST 51 is short on Torque to handle it.  Yes, it will "fly", and not too bad in calm conditions, but scary in any wind.

I plan to up the nitro as a last resort before replacing the ST 51 with something larger.

My second Score will have serious torque from the beginning----I plan to use it to learn how to run a PA 75. ~^

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Joe Gilbert

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »
Only played with a couple of the Tiger 51 and after lots of different props the Thunder tiger 12.5 by 5.5 was the best on both planes . Didn't try any of the high priced Bolly or Eather they might be better? Ran the engined in a hared four stroke and would break to two going up hill. Ran pantie hose filter on 5% nitro 22% oil half and half. Andrew if you can take some flap out of the plane do so, they work very well but slow it down in turns. If weight dictates you you need them, like if it stalls in turns, you cant take some out but only use what you need of them.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Chris:

I am still having plenty of fun with my Score! I intially ran it with the current (Chinese) ST51 with a Bowman ring and some rework and a Randy Smith tube muffler. This seemed to be plenty of power for the 65-oz finished weight. You should save yourself some headaches and time by checking the archives on Stuka for mods to this fine model.

I have about 20 flights on the Enya 61 CXS Pro in the Score and have nothing but praise for the engine. If primed right it is a reliably first-flip starter. Using a Randy Smith tube muffler (no the one for the ST does not fit). Great power on the verticals. Am using 9100 as launch rpm now on a 12-5 Zinger Pro, Sig 10-10-10 fuel, Enya #3 plug. Uses about 5.5 oz for the full pattern with a margin for safety.

Having several LA46s, I do not think they have the power for this large a model. Great engines though.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
I flew the 64 oz. Score with the Tom Dixon ST 51 today; Zinger 12x5, both sq. tip and Zinger Pro. 
Sig 15 % nitro/20% oil with take of rpm set to 9100.  Sixty five X .018 lines, 5.1 lap times.  Wind was about
5 to 13 mph.

The biggest problem was some wind-up during the inside and outside rounds; and the guy at the handle....

I think the ST was doing about all it can do, and the plane would perform better with an engine that wasn't running flat out all the time. At the 9100 rpm setting, there is a little needle left, but not much.

So, time to get out the hammer and saw........

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »
you may be interested to know the Enya 61 Pro is a direct drop-in for the ST51. Didn't have to change much except a few cowl openings for clearance. Prop shaft is close to same length. Just another option if you want more oomph.

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
  Just to clarify what I typed here earlier, a 4.5 sec lap time is flying too fast, 5.2 or slower is more
like it.  At 4.5 sec lap times, a heavy model will pull hard, especially in level flight.  Also, remember
it was stated a MACS muffler, which is a mini PIPE, was being used.  Using a mini PIPE will demand
the use of a lower pitch prop.

Check out previous issues of Stunt News, were the MACS mini pipe was used with a .40 ( FP or was it
an LA 40 ?).  A low pitch prop was used with good success.  A stock .51 engine is being used, not a re timed
one, and not a ST .46 which requires nothing, no rework, and run fine on a 12 x 6.  Sorry, NOT a good
comparison to a 'PIPED' STOCK ST .51 . 

Another option is to try flying the Score with out the 'muffler pipe', and a 5 or 6 pitch prop, like others
have here have used with success.  BUT once you add the MACS Muffler ( which is a mini pipe ), you
should be using a low pitch prop, and try to run as much diameter as the motor will turn. 

Stan Bidowski
MAAC 17167

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
Gary Dubois brought his "Score" out to Tacoma Narrows Airport today, complete with a stock Chinese G.51. While we weren't exactly thrilled with the engine run (at all), it doesn't seem to lack power. The line tension up top seems to be good enough, according to Gary, who is around 70 years old. He pretty much flies it like a combat model...

It needs some tank work (uniflow, but no forward ram air pickup or muffler pressure), has a tongue muffler and a 12-5 APC. We tried to get him to put on the 12.25 x 3.75 APC, but no soap. I think the nose end needs some wood in it, to absorb vibration. The plane makes a funny humming noise in flight...not sure what that is...if yours has a weird hum, and you find a solution, please let us know. Maybe the cowl or wheels or something harmless. Or not...  S?P Steve

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 12:02:27 PM »
Try this...saito 62a,65 foot lines,Apc 13-6 prop,20 20 powermaster 4 stroke fuel,line guides way foreward,engine straight on center line.What I got is 5.0 sec laps,great line tension everywhere and the best flying learning machine i've had to date.8400 Rpm at launch leaves a nice contrail againt the tree line.I have the same set up on my Magnum and it's a great flyer too.   JIM
AMA 89335

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »

We have been using much bigger props with the Enya 61CX. This engine works amazingly well with a Bolly 13x4.5 3 Blades, 8.0mm venturi and Aeroproducts muffler. My Friend has one on a 74oz Strega, and the Enya 61CX  pulls it like there is nothing there, no matter if it is windy, no wind at all, or if its hot, windy and raining.

If you don't want to use a high performance carbon fiber prop, try an APC 13x4W or 14x4W. I haven't tried these APC props but I believe the engine has that much torque with the 8.0mm venturi to spin the 14x4W. For sure the 13x4W will be an easy load for the Enya with stock 7.5mm venturi.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:50 AM »
I really thought the TF Score would be the plane I would be able to make serious progress in taking the pattern to the next level.  Truth is it just isn't happening.  I cannot get the trim sorted out.  At stright and level flight the Score darn near pulls my arm out of the socket, but at 45 degrees the pull falls off by more than half.  Overhead eights, verticle eights and hourglass range from  problematic at best to down right scary. 

That's usually a sign of too much yaw angle, either rudder offset, or line sweep, or both. I think the procedure to use to get it close is pretty well documented, but if that doesn't fix it, it would help tremendously if you could get a local expert to look at it carefully. If it pulls hard in level flight, and the power doesn't grossly drop off overhead, it should pull pretty good overhead, too, if everything is nice and square.

I haven't been very impressed with the Score. It looks like it ought to be pretty good from the parts,  if a bit heavy, but for whatever reason I haven't seen one that looked very good from the outside, and the two I have flown were really handfuls. Eric Rogers has an electric version that looked pretty decent when he flew it, but Ted flew it and seemed to have his hands full in level flight. I got a chuckle out of that, until I flew it and almost crashed in level flight at almost the same point in the flight he had trouble. I should have known better, if Ted can't make it look good, I haven't got much of a chance.

Brett

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 02:56:38 AM »
I wouldn't give up on the Score.. Several "Experts" have flown mine and were actually quite impressed. Maybe I just got lucky or could be the care I took making sure everything was straight and true when I assembled it. It doesn't hum and with the 4 stroke I'm sure I would hear it, do have to say I believe allot of it's good qualities are due to the brute power of the Saito 56 in the nose.

It has slowly succeeded in undressing itself and at the end of last season decided I either had to hang it up or recover it. It's waiting for me to get finished with the new ship then will get recovered. It's just too good an airplane to hang up.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:25 PM »
I wouldn't give up on the Score.. Several "Experts" have flown mine and were actually quite impressed. Maybe I just got lucky or could be the care I took making sure everything was straight and true when I assembled it. It doesn't hum and with the 4 stroke I'm sure I would hear it, do have to say I believe allot of it's good qualities are due to the brute power of the Saito 56 in the nose.

I have to admit to not having spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the problem was with the models I flew. I am reasonably sure that there isn't anything intrinsically wrong with the airplane design, but as you say, the details are what matters. I tend to agree with the observation of needing a fair bit of power to fly well, not surprising given that they are frequently in the 75-80 oz range. I would think the Saito 56 is near the bottom of the scale for that weight airplane, even granting that you seem to have a better setup than most. Certainly an ST51 is marginal unless you really lean on it.

Brett

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »
Brett, I will bring mine up to Woodland this spring and you can try one with an Enya 61CXS at 65 ounces. Certainly I am not in your league of piloting skills but it seems pretty darn good, squares the corners well and (to me) grooves well too. All controls replaced with ball links and carbon pushrods, proper hinges, the works. Once leadouts were adjusted the line tension is good but not excessive at all points on the hemisphere. The controls are too fast (used a 3" bellcrank, what was I thinking) but maybe good combined with my slower reflexes!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »
Brett, I will bring mine up to Woodland this spring and you can try one with an Enya 61CXS at 65 ounces. Certainly I am not in your league of piloting skills but it seems pretty darn good, squares the corners well and (to me) grooves well too. All controls replaced with ball links and carbon pushrods, proper hinges, the works. Once leadouts were adjusted the line tension is good but not excessive at all points on the hemisphere. The controls are too fast (used a 3" bellcrank, what was I thinking) but maybe good combined with my slower reflexes!

I'll certainly give it a try!   A 60 certainly seems like the right kind of power.

Brett

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »

I hope you guys have a chance to try a bigger prop with low pitch with Socre/Enya 61CX.
You have no idea what you are missing. It runs like a pipe engine kicking higher rpms in the overheads. So far the best prop we have tried was the Bolly 13x4.5 3 Blade.

I can't understand how you manage to run this engine with a 12x5 prop using Randy's Muffler. I could understand if you were using the original muffler.

When we tried the Zinger 13x5 we found it was not enough prop for it. We had to run the engine so rich that it burbled a lot on the inside corners. As matter of fact, only the Enya 3 plug would keep the engine running, the engine would quit with other plugs including the TB w/ idle bar.

This is a video of a test flight we did using a Bill Werwage P-47 (over 70oz) with the Zinger 13x5, launch at around 8400rpms,  the sound does not show how much the engine was burbling rich..but you can notice how much the plane slows down on the exit of the wingover.

We could needle the engine pass 10k rpms with the Zinger 13x5 and it sound happier above 9500rpms, but of course we couldn't fly in these rpms with this prop.

Windy has flown my friends Strega with the Enya 61CX and was impressed with the engine power and still the best prop was not used becaue it was not available. My friend only had a 12.5x5.5 3Blades CF prop and also had to run the engine too rich to keep speeds down even with 70' lines. The same way, the engine would run only with the Enya 3 plug and choke a lot on the inside corners, other then that was a great run with incredible overhead power. Windy said he wished he had that engine on the P-47 he was flying at the contest here in Sao Paulo, and what he had was a 70 4 stroke.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:07 AM »
Hi Martin:

This is good information! I am still in the early stages of experimenting with props on the 61CXS and welcome anyone else's input and experiences. It runs fine with the 12x5 Zinger Pro but I want to try some larger props. I don't know if this is an engine that wants to run fast on a flat prop, or slower on a higher pitch prop. I am kind of splitting the difference. I fly off a fairly rough field that is death on $50 carbon props so I will stick to wood and plastic for now. The APC 13x4W sounds interesting; I will order one and a 13x5 (if they make one) and give it a go.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here