News:

• May 15, 2024, 12:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NoblARF Flap Hinges  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Garf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
NoblARF Flap Hinges
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
I am having trouble regluing the flap hinges on the NoblARF. Does anyone have any tricks?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: NoblARF Flap Hinges
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »
Drill bit a tad smaller than meat skewers.   Drill thru the tabs.   Insert meat skewer.   A drop of CA on the meat skewer and cut it flush.  Use the cut off meat skewer on the next hange.   Push it thru the drilled hole until flush.  I have yet to have one pull out.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »
Hi Garf, I've had some of the barre ll hinges break off which is a bummer! I carved the stumps even with the adjacent surfaces and made up MonoCoat hinges out of Saphire Blue MonoCoat! This will work just fine IF You clean all surfaces very carefully with alcohol or some other more powerful cleaner or thinner. You must iron two lengths of MonoCoat together,sticky side to sticky side. I use scrap pieces of their backing material to protect the work with paper towells top and bottom. You then cut off 1" sized slices and apply as in old time over and under cloth hinges! One added caution is to recover you new hinges with over sized strips of similar blue covering to seal out oil and slop seepage! On new planes covered with iron on coverings, I've used this method to apply hinges from the git go with the only exception being to cover the adjoining bare wood surfaces with one inch top and bottom, that would be tow inch total strips wrapped around the surfaces. Make enough hinges to go from root to tip thus "sealing" the the entire length of the moving surfaces.

This method has been on a plane originall built in 1997 which is still flying with many of the original hinges still working! Naturally I have had several dings with this unit and those places have been re-hinged and recovered! Still flies quite well with about 1,000 total documented flights on it!

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
garf I lost my instruction book . how far from the firewall  do i drill the  mm holes?  jim

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
garf I lost my instruction book . how far from the firewall  do i drill the  mm holes?  jim

Here you are, Jim.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/topa1005-manual.pdf
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »
thanx dick, jim

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
 The best thing to do with the ARF hinges is to throw them away and replace them. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here