News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Primary Force CG  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Primary Force CG
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »

I have a 40-oz Primary Force ARF that I'm having trouble getting to turn briskly enough (Brodak 40) even with the CG at 25% and 45 degrees elevator travel.  I have a Shark 402 that is twitchy with the CG at 12% and 20 degrees travel.  The Skyrays and Flite Streaks I have flown have been similar to the Shark 402.  All these planes turned just fine, within the realistic limits of flapless planes.  What CG and how much elevator are others using with their PF ARFs?  Thanks.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: Primary Force CG
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Kim, Mike's drawing says 2" behind the LE at the fuselage and his target weight was 36 oz.

Cheers, Geoff

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »
Just add some weight to the tail and fly it.  Don't go over board with the weight.  If it helps add a little more until you get it where you like it.  Mine was built from the short kit Mike used to have.  Power is LA .25 with needle valve assembly moved to the venturi.  Am now flying with APC 10-4 prop and 10% fuel.  Seems this LA .25 likes the prop.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
Kim-

Mike e-mailed me that he had moved his c.g. back some from the 2" specified and liked it better on his prototype. This was several years ago, but I think he said something like 2 1/4" behind the root l.e.

Anyway, I felt that mine too, at 40+ oz, was not as responsive as other P-Forces and wondered whether I'd overloaded the wing or tail. Mine had quite a bit of sag between ribs for the 17% (measured) or 18% (specified by Mike) NACA sections. I had not turbulated the tail, something that seemed to improve another model's performance. You might try that.

I have used the LA .40 mostly, after starting with an FP .35 (pictured on plans). I had decided to redrill for an LA .25, since the heavier engines required 3/4 oz or maybe even more tail weight. However, the fuselage is now in 3 pieces, and rather than CyA it back together, I'll strip all finish and silkspan, add stub ribs, and make another lighter fuselage (and finish!) with a stiffer nose for the LA .25. At this point, I may just use the wing; I'm not sure that my round stab leading edge is the best way to go, even though I'm sure it works fine for the many P-Forces out there. Igor posted some thoughts on airfoil shapes and thicknesses at such low Reynorlds numbers, and I also noticed some NACA material that led me to sharpen the leading edges slightly on my other flapless LA-.25 stunter. The resulting stab on that one, whose plans you have, seemed to work well.

One thing I did notice was that using an APC 11" prop cut down to 10.5" worked pretty well, but the full 11" prop really damaged the model's turning performance. I think a less efficient, but much lighter, Zinger prop worked better, and I mostly used a 10" x 4" APC. If you're using a heavy 11" prop, you might try cutting back of the prop diameter and/or weight.

As usual, "for what it's worth."

SK

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »

Serge,

Is turbulating the tail different from using a sharper LE?  Such as adding turbulator threads?  And if so, where is itbest to add them?  I will try taping on a sharper cardboard LE this weekend. 

After putting several engines on the scale, I discovered to my surprise that the LA25, FP20, and Brodak 40 all weigh within spittin' distance of the same (w/o mufflers).  I tried the Brodak and have been pleased with the results.  One goal with this plane is to see if I can replace the higher pitch sound of the smaller engines running fast with a more pleasant-sounding 4-stroke (either with or without a break).  This is of course an "aesthetic" preference rather than a technical thing.  After trying several props, I'm now running an APC 10x6, 9.2K at takeoff, 4.8 sec lap, and the Brodak (late model) produces plenty of ponies to do the trick.  It has quite a hard break, which I am working on softening.  Originally I tried a 6 oz Hayes tank (because the Brodak needs more than 4 oz, even with 4 layers of nylon stocking over the venturi) and had considerable RPM increase as the tank empties, a problem which does not affect my friends running 3 oz Hayes on FP20s and LA25s, whether mounted outboard or inboard.  Go figure.  I tried switching to my trusty GRW chicken hopper and it works great.

Another factor is that with the stock ARF bellcrank setup, I have 45 degrees of deflection with the pushrod in the outermost horn hole and a fairly narrow handle spacing (actually it's an in-flight adjustable combat handle with no spacing adjustment that I like for initial flights to get a good neutral adjustment quickly in the air).  Next step is to install a longer horn and switch to a hard point handle with the wider spacing I prefer.  I started a long discussion some time back about the feel of a handle as it relates to line spacing and the resulting confidence (or lack of it) that the plane will make it thru the coffin corners (another aesthetic thingie).  I suspect the elevators are acting as airbrakes in hard corners with the current setup due to excessive "insurance" input on the handle.  Going to wider handle spacing may seem counterintuitive to some, but it's kinda hard to explain the feel thing.  Will have to try it to see.  The hard point connection will no doubt help too.     

I've learned a lot and had much enjoyment in the process of trimming this plane.

I will be interested to hear how your rebuilt PForce flies when you get it in the air.

Kim

Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »
Kim-

This is pretty much guess work for me. I thought that perhaps the stab/elevator was stalling (the three pieces of my fuselage resulted from a pancake at the bottom of a loop - slight breeze, not calm). The turbulator on my SkyRay was a thread placed along the center of the leading edge. I don't know whether the sharper leading edge would cause separation or just accomodated a more gradual curve to the "high point", rather than an abrupt curve to a flat surface. The plane with that stabilizer had, as you know, a high-aspect ratio wing and may just have needed less aoa. The thought crossed my mind that if you actually use all 45 degrees of elevator, the stab'elevator itself might be stalling. As I said - just a guess. I'll post my most recent stab section below - a photo taken before the tip was finished. It's like the earlier one that I liked.

I thought I remembered finding different weights for LA .40/.46 engines versus LA .25's. The booklet from O.S. lists these weights:

LA .15 - 4.56 oz
LA .25: - 6.54 oz
LA .40 - 9.43 oz
LA .46 - 9.29 oz

These have to be without mufflers, and using stock mufflers would add substantial similar amounts. So I think I can save weight with the LA-.25.

Unfortunately, my relevant experiments were cut short by "pilot error".

SK

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
Hi Kim,
The C.G. for the P-Force should be close to the 2” back from the leading edge of the wing, measured at the fuselage.  Going any further back can make the P-Force a little jumpy at times.  At forty ounces, yours shouldn’t have much on an effect on its turn rate at all.  I added 6 ounces of weight to the C.G. of the prototype P-Force without greatly affecting the turn rate of the model.
In your post, you mentioned that you have a full 45° of elevator deflection, if indeed you are using all of that deflection, then your handle spacing is way too much for the model.  The handle spacing should closer to 3-3/4” for the best all around performance.
The Brodak .40 is a good choice for the P-Force.  It’s lightweight and power should make good combo for the P-Force in most situations.  My thinking is that you have too much pitch on the prop and causing speed to go up when the engine breaks into a 2-cycle.  Switch to a 4 pitch to control the speed and the lap times of the model.  One of the best flying P-Force I ever flew was built by Jim Hoffman.  It was powered by a Randy Smith AeroTiger 36 and he was almost unbeatable with it (just ask the guy’s in the southwest).
Later,
Mikey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here