News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Vector ARC project  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Vector ARC project
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
I am starting a Vector ARC project, and have reviewed the parts, plans and did a search on this forum for info.  Here's my plan, and then a few questions:

1.  Strengthen the landing gear mounting panel with some corner stock.  It looks like there is very little bonding area to the main structure
2.  Keep the BC and leadouts, but go with Control Line Specialties carbon tube pushrods, HD ball links, and horns.  Access panel for elevator controls as I am using the slider horn.
3.  Brodak 40 for power, prop tbd, but probably the RSM 11x6 or 10x6.  Dinger Muffler if I can lighten up the tail enough.
4.  Build up the elevators instead of solid (one is 15 grams, the other 21 as provided!)  Same with the vertical tail.  Air beats wood any day!
5.  4.5 ounce tank (I use under 4 ounces on my Smoothie, but want to try to use longer lines and slower lap times on the Vector).  Tank wedged in with PVC foam (craft foam from Michaels or similar craft store, worked great to solve my engine run problems in the Smoothie)
6.  Carbon veil the fuselage and flaps
7.  Polyspan over open areas, tissue over that (Saw it done at VSC, and it looks like the best of both worlds!  Tough, constistent finish, no fuzzies)
8.  Use silicone seal to double up the attachment of the wheel pants to the LG.
9.  Aim to use 65'x.012 solid lines and the Fancher Handle.

Now with the questions:   ???

1.  Are the motor bearers hard enough?  They seem awfully soft.  How can they be strengthened?  I am worried about them compressing and allowing the engine to loosen up and go out of alignment.  I am not worried about vibration, as they are supported by the fuselage sides and filled-in in the tank compartment.
2.  Where can I get the Carbon Fiber LG that were mentioned in one post?
3.  What am I missing? 
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: New Vector ARC project
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
Hi Larry:  What you are missing is the enjoyment and satisfaction of building one of the nicest, most well designed, bargain priced, easy to assemble, and highest quality lazer cut kits out there. From the amount of mods you are proposing to do to your ARC, you could have a kit Vector framed and ready to cover in the same amount of time, they really do build that quickly.  Way better than re-doing somewone else's marginal construction, questionable materials and merely adequate control system IMHO.  Of course I'm biased sooo... VD~
   BTW: Congrats in having your "Sky Sport" design kitted by RSM.  I sure wish it was around when we used to fly 1/2A stunt regularly at WAM contests here in NoCal.  8)   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:14 PM »
Larry, you might do like we used to do with our F2C planes,  drill thru the motor mounts and insert hardwood dowel rod.  We used it on all our planes and never had a failure as far as compression.  I tried to use the brass thread inserts on my newest  plane and discarded the idea when the wood kept splitting as I put the insert in.  If you don't like the dowel rod idea, you can insert brass tubing layered up to a usable wall thickness.  Later, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
Great idea, Doc!  The dowel can be pretty big, and I can probably get some incredibly hard wood from a local source and turn it down as required.  Even an electric hand-drill will do for that if my lathe doesn't get back to me soon (in storage, dang it)

An alternative would be to drill a big hole, fill it with JB Weld, then drill and tap for the screws.  Sort of like bedding the action of a rifle.

Pete, I would agree, but I have a pile of my own designs to scratch build, and competition models are sort of second fiddle with me.  Time is of the essence as they (who, really, are "they") say.

Current list of "me" projects is the Sky Streak 250 forward swept flying wing for .061 (the Sky Streak in my avatar is 180 sq.in. for a Black Widow, and has trophied, so there is some interesting potential there), the Skyfire 40/30/25/15 depending on the size I decide to tackle first, the Tech Terror, a model of my own design that both has some performance potential and is verifiably a legal Classic. 

In addition, there is recovering Don Butman's Baby Nobler, a Jameson that is 80% done, a Skyfire 2 that is in primer, and (oy veh!) a park-flyer RC that just needs equipment installation.  Then there are two boxes of kits, refinishing a 1/2A Spacer and building a Wee Duper Zilch for VSC.

Then, I have design ideas for what I really want to work on.

DesignMan

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »
Hi Larry: Sorry about the rant. Having seen some of your models I figured the ARF route would be only because of time constraints, as you related - I just couldn't resist the segway from "What am I missing".  Thanks for taking my post with a grain of salt - truth is, the Vector 40 is the best of all the "mass produced" pre-built planes, IMHO of course. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.  :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:39:58 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:17:17 AM »
Hi Larry,

Call Randy Smith, he has a very nice Bolly CF LG for your Vector. I bought the tall version for my 300L Extra/Vector to clear my 12 x 6 prop. The Standard version should be perfect for your set up using Eric's (RSM) beautiful lightweight wood props. :-)

Your list is spot on. I just used the wing and stab, but did most of what you outlined.

Thanks again for the great contest flyers you made for our April Palmer contest!  y1

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
So far, I have drilled the motor mounts and installed vertical pieces of dowel, then drilled those for the engine mounting holes.  So far, so good!

Currently I am working on carbon mat for the flaps, and covering other pieces with tissue or polyspan, depending on whether it is an open bay or solid wood.  This is going to be a LOOOOOONG project, as I have never done a super-zoot stunt finish before.  I expect to do Carbon on the fuselage too.   

Since I have the Smoothie to fly, and it is outstanding (in my book, anyway), there is no hurry.  If the Smoothie bites the big one, I can always zap out the Oriental ARF I have tucked away.

DesignMan

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
Larry let me tell you about my Vector ARF. I was going to buy a vector kit and modify it into a Randy 40 Tempest. A ARF came along at a good price so I bought it.That was a mistake,here is why. The body was curved up almost 3/8 " at the tail starting at the center of the wing.As you can see in the picture I removed the top block and turtle deck and the body straightened out.The bell crank is almost impossible to get out as it has nuts on both sides of it and the crank sits between two sheets of plywood. I installed new leadouts without removing the crank but had to cut the top piece of plywood away for the ball-link to clear it.I then made some spacers and added in light ply to tie it all back to together again. I cut a small hole in the bottom planking to glue the ball-link nut.It was more work than if I had cut my own parts.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here