Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

New Vector 40 ARF

(1/4) > >>

Allen Eshleman:
I just bought a new IC Vector 40 ARF at Brodak.  On examination, it looks great.  It looks the the leadouts are installed up to standard on the bellcrank. Not the former crimped arrangement.  I have two preliminary questions.  1.  Are the leadouts on this new batch trustworth?    2.   Has anyone installed a tank larger than 4 oz.  I have an LA - 46, a B 40 and an FP 40 available.  I probably prefer the LA 46 but I have read that the the B-40 can pull it through the pattern.  I am wondering if 4 oz is enough for an LA-46?    Thanks in advance.

Motorman:
I fly the full pattern on a 63' radius all the time with an LA46 with 4oz uniflow tank on 10% nitro but, my venturi is .265" with a PA spraybar and full factory muffler 11-4.5 TT prop. 

If the FP40 is a good runner I'd go with that one. It's a good match for the Vector imho. More power than the B40 and lighter than the LA46. For that size plane you really have to de-tune the LA46 somehow. Run it flat rich, head shims, smaller venturi, restrictive muffler and more tail weight.

If the lead outs are just bare cable through the bellcrank or if they are thicker than .028" I would change them. You want a free and flexible joint there and through the lead out guide.

YMMV
Motorman 8)

Allen Eshleman:
The leadouts on the bellcrank run through a sort of hexagonal (half) piece of copper tubing and are wrapped as recommended.  Beautiful job. This Vector 40 ARF is from the latest batch.  I want to know if anyone has made any strengthening modifications to this latest batch of Vectors.  They have them of every color (IC and Electric) from what I observed very quickly.  They also have some SV11 ARF's.  They said they found some recently in the warehouse.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Motorman on June 14, 2022, 09:08:38 PM ---I fly the full pattern on a 63' radius all the time with an LA46 with 4oz uniflow tank on 10% nitro but, my venturi is .265" with a PA spraybar and full factory muffler 11-4.5 TT prop. 

--- End quote ---
Let me echo Motorman. I don't remember the venturi size but I routinely flew my LA46 full patterns + about 5 laps on 4 oz.  The plane was 650sq and 51oz.  I measured what I put in the tank.  If I were going down this path today I would build in a 6oz clunk but, being an ARF it might not fit.

Ken

Motorman:
If it's the kind where you put the 2 wing halves together, just check around in the root section for stuff that's not glued or needs more glue. Mine was an SV11 and there were allot of things hanging loose in there.

When I joined the wing halves I made a piece of paper to go over the bellcrank area to keep glue from dripping down and jamming the controls. Just pull it out through the pushrod hole later.

I seem to remember the V40 had a rep for snaping the tail off in a harder landing so, maybe add some fuselage doublers inside around the trailing edge area.

I use to have a Vector 40 arf, now you're making me want to build one.

Hope that helps,
Motorman 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version