News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oriental ARF instructions  (Read 975 times)

Offline Electric George

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Oriental ARF instructions
« on: September 23, 2023, 04:30:00 AM »
I found an Oriental ARF in the box for a good price. It all looks as new, straight and with no wrinkles in the covering.
However, there are a few issues:

1.There is no assembly instructions. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this ARF ? It looks like it will go together without the need for instructions but I would be interested to read them anyway.

2. The flaps are straight but I noticed one is stiff and weighs 1.19 ounces. The other flexes easily compared to the other and weighs just 0.6 ounces. I am a concerned about the flex and possible warping issues later. I guess the hinges will help to negate some of the flex? Or am I being too cautious? I guess I should make replacements but this will mean purchasing a roll of covering and two rolls of trim.

3. The canopy has yellowed. I will probably just paint it black as an easy fix.

I have begun reading the many threads on here about the Oriental ARF and gathering all the suggestions for mods/ beefing up areas and replacing the Lead outs. I will go electric.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Oriental ARF instructions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 08:17:03 AM »
In my younger days i would have just flown it, griped a bit about the roll in corners but adapted.  Now I realize just how important balanced flaps are.  No way you are going to balance those two extremes.  Make new ones.  Can you get the covering to match?  The Chinese "monokote" is close but not an exact match.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:28:05 AM »
Make sure you get a good glue joint between the fuselage and the wing..  I did the replacing of the control system and it was a terrific plane for me until the fuse and wing decided to not stay together..  If I ever do another I will add to the inside of the fuse and make sure all wood is showing.  My problem then was could not get extra glue in the joint once the wing was attched. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 04:21:22 AM »
In my younger days i would have just flown it, griped a bit about the roll in corners but adapted.  Now I realize just how important balanced flaps are.  No way you are going to balance those two extremes.  Make new ones.  Can you get the covering to match?  The Chinese "monokote" is close but not an exact match.

Ken

Hi Ken,
Thanks, I knew I needed sort it out really. I just needed someone to tell me to get on with it! I think you are right and it will be tricky to find an exact match for the colour but close will be good enough or I may recover the flaps in a different colour anyway.

Thanks again.

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 04:24:04 AM »
Make sure you get a good glue joint between the fuselage and the wing..  I did the replacing of the control system and it was a terrific plane for me until the fuse and wing decided to not stay together..  If I ever do another I will add to the inside of the fuse and make sure all wood is showing.  My problem then was could not get extra glue in the joint once the wing was attched. D>K

Hi John,
Thanks for that. I will definitely add that to the priority list. Good to hear you enjoyed flying it.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 11:39:07 AM »
I found an Oriental ARF in the box for a good price. It all looks as new, straight and with no wrinkles in the covering.
However, there are a few issues:

1.There is no assembly instructions. Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this ARF ? It looks like it will go together without the need for instructions but I would be interested to read them anyway.

Call or write Brodak, they can probably fix you up with a manual, but no electric conversion instructions.  For that check out the "All Amped Up" section of the Forum.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 05:55:14 AM »
Call or write Brodak, they can probably fix you up with a manual, but no electric conversion instructions.  For that check out the "All Amped Up" section of the Forum.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks, I will contact Brodak for the instructions.
I have already researched the site and found useful electric conversion info and, if I am not mistaken, I recall some very useful info in a thread by yourself.
Thanks again.

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 07:36:11 PM »
Electric George,
In case you have not found any yet, I have a copy of the original ARF instructions available electronically.  Send me an email or PM with your email address and I will send them along.
John
John Paris

Offline Electric George

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 08:27:34 AM »
Thanks to those who offered to help.
Thanks to John who has sorted me out with an electronic copy.
Your kindness is much appreciated.
George

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here