News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nobler ARF Pull Test?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Darryl W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Nobler ARF Pull Test?
« on: April 11, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
Anybody have experience with doing the 10G pull test on a box stock Top Flite Nobler ARF, either successfully or not? Was it a pass or fail???

I know the advice is to replace/upgrade the leadouts and bellcrank but I have already built and flown my Nobler with no modifications to the control system. However to fly it at my club field will now require me to pull test it and I am a bit apprehensive about this.

My Brodak Cardinal and Sig Buster passed with no problem but these are kit built airplanes.

Thanks,

Darryl

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nobler ARF Pull Test?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 12:48:03 PM »
  I have heard of them pulling right out of the crimps on a stock ARF airplane. The 10G pull test sounds worse than it is. A model is pulled at 10 times it's weight. There is a chart on the AMA website that breaks it down. If your model weighs 45 ounces, it has to pull 10 times that, which is 450 ounces, divided by 16 ( ounces to a pound ) which is 28.125 pounds. Round it up to 30 and you are good to go. Might as well just pull it and get it out of the way. Then you can make any repairs necessary before flying time. It's actually a lot less stressful than it used to be. I think the pull test by the old displacement rules would have been 40 or 45 pounds. It's been a while since we have had to do that.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 01:03:48 PM »
Anybody have experience with doing the 10G pull test on a box stock Top Flite Nobler ARF, either successfully or not? Was it a pass or fail???

I know the advice is to replace/upgrade the leadouts and bellcrank but I have already built and flown my Nobler with no modifications to the control system. However to fly it at my club field will now require me to pull test it and I am a bit apprehensive about this.

My Brodak Cardinal and Sig Buster passed with no problem but these are kit built airplanes.

Thanks,

Darryl

All I can add is DON'T DO IT.  Forget about the pull test.  You will be lucky if that is where it fails.  You don't want to wait for it to fail in the air.  The one that doesn't show till it happens is the leadouts snagging on the bellcrank floor.  The Nobler ARF controls are simply a disaster.  Get rid of them.  Every Nobler ARF should come with a roll of blue MonoKote.  BUT, once you get all of the Chinese sabotage neutralized, it is a really nice flying plane!

Ken

However, if you still insist on using them, the corrective action when the controls lock up is to go the opposite direction.  They are most likely caught on the rib holding the bellcrank floor and you are not going to free them up pulling in the same direction.  Recognizing that this is your problem will probably take longer than you have before it goes spalt.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 02:56:32 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 02:18:53 PM »
Mine failed in the air.  The controls locked up, consistent with Ken's observation about the leadouts snagging on something internally.

Better to cut into it now and fix it, than to look at your re-ARF'd airplane remains and try to decide if they're worth fixing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Darryl W

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »
Yeah okay, I hear you guys...so those stock supplied crimped leadouts are a mishap waiting to happen whether or not I pull test! I know there is already lots of info on replacing these controls on this ARF elsewhere on this forum, so I can have a look at that.

Thanks gents for your observations and advice,

Darryl

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here