AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: T Rex
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:25 AM »
How is the quality?  Bellcrank and engine mounting, for example.
Retired Army

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
Hi David,

I happen to be putting one together, and I think you would be safe in using everything in the ARF .
Mine is an ARC, and I will be using electric, so I’m using the plywood radial mount for the motor.  I think it will be a nice Model to bang around with. Quality is as good as any I’ve seen. Don’t know,  in a competitive situation, how well it performs, but I think it is a fine ARF kit,  and should fly the pattern well enough to learn from it.
There has been criticism, and some “heat” about this airplane, but don’t let that stop you. I’m not going to presume I know anything until I fly it.  The airplane will be finished in Ultracote flying surfaces, and some sort of rattle can finish on the fuselage.  I think it was Brad Walker who designed it,  who, is also very knowledgeable about 4 stroke setups.  Seems to have all the “numbers “ used in modern designs. Go for it!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:21:03 AM by Will Moore »
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Vitalis Pilkionis

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »
The main thing I would like to warn about is that wing construction is very fragile and needs serious reinforcement for safe and long operation. In a case of ARF it is strongly advisable to strip a wing completely. Fuselage also has a weak spots and requires reinforcement.
As a performer I found stock T-Rex lacking stability, at least as an electric option. Can't say anything about IC variant though.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
  I have never owned one, but they have been written about on the forum here so a search will turn up a lot of information. They have been around for a while, but I don't recall seeing any out on the contest trail in the last few years. Like a lot of products, what you see in general use is an indication of how a product performs, whether it's a stunt model or a lawn mower.  I didn't think they were still available but a quick check of the Brodak site still shows them in stock. If I wanted to buy an ARF/ARC model of this size, it would be the SV-11. It's a bit cheaper if for no other reason.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
Dan is absolutely correct....good advise. I forgot to mention it has a few structural flaws. Didn’t realize SV 11
Is a bit less expensive and that airplane is competitive. I scratch built one for 4 stroke , awhile ago, as I was fascinated with 4 stroke power and wanted to master it. The SV11 flew very well.
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here