News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Topic  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:45:43 AM »
Hey Gang,

Didn't really have anything to say, just got tired of seeing the title of the last topic all the time! LL~

For the record, I have "built" several ARF's; they served their (my) purpose reasonably well.

Being just a "little" obsessive/compulsive  :o, I'd really rather build it myself.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
Re: New Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:25:16 AM »
Way to go Jim, glad to see a  new topic here also.  I just have one ARF (Pathfinder), and am really quite happy with it.  The only thing I changed was the bellcrank assy.  Don't know if I would even do that again.  The one I took out stood up to a fifty pound pull test without failure. "Maybe" next time I will simply pull test it first, before replacing it.  Even the so called weak engine mounts have never given me a problem.  It has been lots of fun to fly, and has helped me thru learning better manuevers.  On a clam day, I can slow it down to 6 second laps, and really take my time lowereing the  manuever bottoms. It will struggle on the difficult ones at that speed thou.  I still build just as I did before the ARF arrival came to be.  I am happy to see more selections of ways to get in the air.  Still have a couple more ARFs on the shelf to assemble and lots of kits in the process and plenty still in boxes. To each his own, do it your way and enjoy.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
I assembled a supply of ARFs over the past two years.  I'm hoping to use them to learn to fly the stunt patterns.  They include: Nobler & Flite Streak by Top Flite and a Cardinal & Oriental from Brodak.  I also have a Top Flite Score & a Tutor II which are not assembled yet.  So, hopefully, I'll have a good supply of planes for learning how to do the stunt patterns.  I've never competed in any official contest before, but hope to try that this year.

Dave

Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:26:59 PM »
Dave,

I have used the ARF's (Tutor II, Cardinal, Oriental), actually two of each, to learn the Beginner and then
what I call the "Big Boy" pattern.  Also have used them to teach myself how to finish with colored tissue/clear dope.

The ARF's ain't perfect, but they can be useful for some things.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »
This guy likes his ARF. He whacked his kit built King Cobra and this has had a nice, hard impact as well (see red Monocote, as Dad had no orange).
They are useful for training and that is why Michael has his.
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
We have two ARFs.  I have a Nobler and Aaron has a Vector.  Aaron got his for a practice plane.  My Nobler was a Christmas present after the family hearing about my Blue Nobler I had back in the early '60s. We will enjoy them BOTH I am sure.  Doubtful that they will ever see Contest service, though.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline gary tultz

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:58:37 PM »
Why not Bill? Nearly every contest this side of the Mississippi has an ARF event. (I just love spelling Mississippi)  ;D  H^^                                                                            Rainman   

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
Why not Bill? Nearly every contest this side of the Mississippi has an ARF event. (I just love spelling Mississippi)  ;D  H^^                                                                            Rainman   

Our two here don't.  ???  Neither does the one in Marietta nor the KOI, to the best of my knowledge.  If I get back to Brodak's, I guess they COULD be used there.  I just like to fly the ones I build in contests I guess. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »
Sorry, posted in the "other" thread and this is my penance.  ::)

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
Sorry, posted in the "other" thread and this is my penance.  ::)

?? ?? ?? ??  You really lost me there, Alan........ ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
Sorry Bill, the "penance" was that I posted in the Cardinal thread (to your post), thus bringing the Cardinal Post to the top again (above this thread). So I then posted here to pop it back up to the talk. I guess it was a time sensitive joke!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here