News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:19:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Brodak P-40 ARF Landed Today  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Brodak P-40 ARF Landed Today
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »
Well, my shop is just taking too long to set up and the chance of building one of the 5 new kits I have is slim to none.

So, I ordered a new P-40 and it arrived today.  This is my first ARF and my first glimpse of what they are close up.  It was very well packed and the additional items I ordered with it were inside the same carton.  The parts of the airplane are almost flawless.  The covering is smooth and fairly taught.  There is one spot toward the leading edge of the wing that has a wrinkle and a little bubble.  The spot feels mushy, compared to the rest of the wing.  It may be a crack in the sheeting.

I read the assembly instructions and they were well written.  There is one page that talked about gluing a fixed section of the flap, but both outer flap sections are assembled to the wing and covered.  It may be an update that wasn't changed in the booklet.  The hinges are pin type, not CA, although the instructions say to install them with CA and not epoxy.  The hinges are already installed in the control surfaces, probably with CA, so epoxying the other end is probably a waste of time.  I was told by Brodak that this newest batch had the leadouts updated.

I am not sure if the pushrods should be replaced.  The rear rod is two piece, secured with a soldered coupling at assembly.  The keepers on both flap and elevator rods are twisted spring wire that encapsulates the dog-leg end of the rod.  I am not sure if this setup needs to be replaced with Tom Morris or the like, or if the horns themselves need to be replaced with the true 90° type, also from Tom Morris.

I am also intrigued with the engine clamping set-up.  I have never seen this before and am curious how it performs.  It would certainly make changing engines with different footprints easier, since new holes wouldn't be necessary.  I had intended to put aluminum spacers under the motor mount ears but am not sure on that, either.

Finally, I was somewhat dismayed to read that I need to buy a heat gun and a covering iron to tighten everything up.  My thoughts were that a pre-assembled, covered plane would be ready to eat, as far as the covering goes.

To sum it up, I am happy with my purchase and it will certainly get me in the air yet this flying season.  Any comments about the controls, covering or motor mounting system would be welcome.

As an afterthought, I placed my order on line Thursday morning. Today, Monday, it arrived.  Great service.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: New Brodak P-40 ARF Landed Today
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »
Those hinges are NOT glued in, just a tight fit, at least I've never seen an ARF come with hinges glued in. Seem to remember someone losing an ARF because he thought the hinges were glued in and they came out in flight.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
Those hinges are NOT glued in, just a tight fit, at least I've never seen an ARF come with hinges glued in. Seem to remember someone losing an ARF because he thought the hinges were glued in and they came out in flight.

Yep, you're right.  I hadn't unwrapped the flaps and elevators yet.  They are snug, but not glued.  Strange that there are also hinges in a plastic bag.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:37:56 AM »
Hi Dick,

You made a very good selection. The P-40 is an excellent design and the ARF is well built. My ARF P-40 is over 3 years old and has almost 400 flights on it. I built it almost completely stock because I wanted to show the anti-ARF guys out here that the Brodak ARFs were safe "as is". The only minor change I made was I used one CF tube between the flap horn and the EL horn with 4-40 ball links at each end. I made this minor change because I am used to this set up in my RC planes and I like having my controls be easily adjustable for minor trim changes. BTW: All the larger CL ARF/ARCs are coming with this CF tube and ball link setup as standard.

This is a modern design with a modern thick airfoil and large tail surfaces. You will really like how this plane flies. You can confidently build it stock with the HW included.

1. The mushy spot may be a small crack. It wold not hurt to make a small pin hole and put a drop of thin CA there. If it is a very small area I would not do anything. Our wing sheeting does not add a lot of strength to our wings, the spars on this plane are more than enough. The sheeting adds a little stiffness to the wing, but a small spot will not hurt anything.

2. I'm glad Bob cleared that up, he saved you an airplane!

3. This ARF used to come with CA hinges, which should NEVER be used on a CL plane. The new ones are perfect. I, and everyone else I know, uses 15 to 30 min. epoxy to install these pin hinges. It might be able to be done with thick slow CA but I would not like to try it, it does not give you much time to get them perfectly lined up. Epoxy is easy, and helps you sleep better at night.

4. Yes, the lead-outs are improved and they are solid. John has always been very diligent about making constant improvements on his products. The LOs are all doubled through the crimped tube and are very safe.

5. The push rod from the BC to the flap horn is perfect. The keeper is very good and sturdy. As I said above I would replace the long PR with a CF unit from Jim at CLC (Morris type). If you are not familiar with making one up using JB Weld etc., then you can give Jim the measurement between the flap horn and the EL horn and he will make a perfect one for you with ball links at each end. Just tell him it is for the Brodak P-40 ARF.

6. The engine clamp setup is fine as is. It is used in RC with even larger engines than we use in CL. There are already brass threaded inserts in the planes hardwood MMs. Use as is and you won't have any problems.

7. RE: the heat gun/iron. If you know any RC flyers in your area they will all have both of these tools. 99% of all RC planes are ARFs and the RC guys are used to doing a little tightening up of the covering and also adding their own trim schemes. They would be glad to help you. An iron or a gun are inexpensive items that last forever. Or you can do it the really old fashioned way that we did in the 1960s and use your home iron. Please check with the wife 1st! It is not ideal but it can work. start with low heat and slowly work your way up, be careful this stuff melts easily when using a big iron, just use the tip.

8. Again, you will really like this plane. It looks good in the air and it flys great. Follow the very good directions and you will have a solid, long lasting plane.

Have Fun! :-)   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:21:42 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:30:04 AM »
Dick, I have the engine mount system on my ARF Cardinal and it's very handy for changing engines. The Monokote Iron and heat gun are just tools you'll need, I use mine all the time.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:38:55 AM »
Great answers, guys.  Thanks a bunch.  One more question, the instructions say to use CA for wing, stab and rudder assembly to the fuselage.  I guess I'm not too concerned with the tail feathers, but how did you do the wing/fuselage joint?  CA or epoxy?
AMA 62221

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:01 AM »
   :!       Dick, if you use the pushrod coupler please drill a small hole about mid way in the coupler so that when you solder it the  heat won't blow the solder out the other end.
  I read this hint in a Stunt News several years ago and it works really well..
  Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress... #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »
Great answers, guys.  Thanks a bunch.  One more question, the instructions say to use CA for wing, stab and rudder assembly to the fuselage.  I guess I'm not too concerned with the tail feathers, but how did you do the wing/fuselage joint?  CA or epoxy?

Epoxy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here