News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:30:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My SV-11 just arrived.  (Read 9467 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My SV-11 just arrived.
« on: December 26, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
Santa brought me an SV-11 (electric) for Christmas.  This is my first full body stunt ship.  It's way more than i need because I am still learning the beginners stunt patter.   That's not to say that I am learning to fly.  I have been flying for years.  But it has always been just sport flying and I have flown some scale.  But Santa knows that big boys need new toys.

Anyway I have read everything I could find on Stunt Hanger about the ARF SV-11 by Brodak.   I will address all of the problems pointed out by others.  The first suggestion I took to heart was that a control system up grade was desirable.  All suggested a Tom Morris upgrade.  Tom lives just south of me in Alabama.  I have had dealings with him for some time now.  He is a master in our control line community.   I emailed him and asked what he would recommend for my SV-11.  Three days later the postman brought me Thom's hardware.  His setup address every comment made about the stock SV-11 hardware.  Tom's hardware has offset control horns, brass bushings on the control  horns,  flap to elevator is 1:1. and the bell-crank is the latest and greatest.  Photo attached.

And as I progress in the assembly  I will comment with my solution to various problems.  Thank You Santa!   #^   #^
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:20:24 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My SV-11 just arrived.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
Inspect the connections of the lead outs to the bellcrank very carefully for security and make sure they move freely. Also inspect and test the solder joints on the horn arms.

I'm hoping that's a weird camera angle on the elevator horn because it looks tilted back and not square.

Motorman 8)
As you suggested I checked everything.  Every thing looks good. Anything that I have gotten  from Tom Morris has always been done right.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
Today I unpacked the wing that had the lead-outs and bellcrank.  I tried working the lead-outs and they were jammed.  One of them was frayed as it passed through the wing tip slider.  You could work them back and fort if you pulled really hard.  I  was a little worried on how to remove the C-clips that held in the old crank.  I poked at one with a pair of tweezers and it fell off.  Scary!  The old lead-outs were so frayed that I could not use them to pull in the new lead-outs.  A piece of 1/16 wire did the trick.  I used small diameter shrink tubing to attach the lead-out to the 1/16 wire.  Used the hardware that came with Tom's bellcrank to mount the bellcrank.  I locked the shaft in place with a drop thick CA on top and bottom.  It now works smooth a silk!   #^ 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
I am planning to epoxy a Bob Hunt mount onto the back side of existing motor mount.  That gets the motor sitting on a hard flat surface.  However the screw head will be sitting on the original plywood mount.  Should I counter boring holes big enough, (or cut off the wood bolt hole ears), in the wood mount to allow the screw heads and washers to seat on the fiber glass motor mount.   I am sure others have added a Bob Hunt hard mount.  Any thoughts on the "how-to" to get the job done.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 06:00:12 AM »
What I did was add a Bob Hunt mount front and back and get longer bolts. I would only counter bore the holes if you can get enough support around the mount plate. Carefully control the length of your bolts so you don't hit the windings inside the motor.

Check all around the bellcrank and spar area. Allot of stuff wasn't glued on mine. Also, check the lead out slider, mine was broken.

When you glue the wing halves together put a piece of wax paper over the bellcrank so the glue doesn't drip on the controls. You can pull it out later through the push rod hole. I had to cut away a good bit of the ribs in there to clear the ball link. Test fit everything.

Motorman 8)
Did it take major surgery on the wing tip to replace the line slider?

Did you have to hog out some of the wood to make room for the front Bob Hunt motor mount plate?  On mine their isn't much room for a front plate.  When cut to fit it would be in 4 segments.  I am thinking maybe 4 aluminum plate segments on the front. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »
I got the motor mounted.  I cut to fit the fiberglass hard mount and epoxied it in place.  I cut a round aluminum dist the size of my motor and drilled and taped 4 mounting holes.  I coated this disk with Vaseline and used it along with 4 bolts to clamp the hard motor mount in place.  The aluminum disk kept the surface clean and flat where the motor sits.  The spinner came from Tom Morris.  It has a 5mm motor collet  built in and comes cut for a pusher prop.

I epoxied in the flap horn.  I also epoxied in the elevator horn.   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
Getting ready to epoxy the two wing haves together.  Had to remove some wood to clear the bell crank. Added a piece of wood to support the plywood platform.  Big concern is keeping the epoxy out of the control system.  Right now it is totally free.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
Hi John,
I wish I would seen this earlier, but if you haven't glued the wings together, you could file the spacer (under the ball-link) down until you have more clearance between the top spar and the head of the pushrod mounting bolt.  Also you could grind off the top of the bolt head for additional clearance if needed.  Another point, ad a small washer on top of the ball-ink.  This provents the plastic part of the ball-link from popping off after some aging. 

Keep up the good work,
Mikey

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »
John,

I just saw your Build.

Nice model. Kudos!

In many cases, I remove whatever material is necessary so the bell crank and push rod move freely.

What I do is use a steel shaft through the bell crank and float the bell crank.

I show photos in my Builds but Mike Griffin has a Thread on this instillation someplace. Might be other info also?

With the long shaft, an inch or better over and above the rib, allows for thin plywood Epoxied directly onto the wing sheeting. Brass bushing.

I put this plywood in place after the fuselage is in place and butt the plywood to the fuselage side.

I solder washers top and bottom then cut off the access.

Works for me. I believe the GBR-3 and Pushy Galore were done this way. There should be photos in the Builds.

That washer mentioned on the ball end is a must.

Good observation on that issue.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
It did not look like the decking over the tail would not come off to install the elevator.  I emailed Brodak and got the following reply.

Hi John - Happy New Year, hope all is well with you.

The SV-11 is designed to have the upper rear fuselage block removed so the tail (completed assembly) can drop in the saddle, then the top  rear block cemented in place.  My prototype built well with no issues, but I have another SV-11 here to look at. Sure enough, it looked like the rear block was rigid but it was not.  On this one the covering was scored vertically from the LE of the stab opening but the block seemed secure.  I poked at it with my knife and confirmed that the block was NOT glued there, but it looks like there was an excess spot of glue holding the upper saddle to the fuse.  The tail post was also not separated at the joint.  I think the build it this way as a means of holding all the parts together while they shape then cover them.

I cut the covering and the trim were cut through at the front of the rear block.  Next I cut the tail post at the back of the stab opening, to use a knife to cut UPWARDS from the leading edge of the stab opening one side at a time.  The rear hatch popped right off.

I suggest you give your SV a poke & a prod and see if the rear fuse will pop loose for you.  Let me know if it works - or not!

Dennis Adamisin

Electric Power Systems Consultant

Brodak Manufacturing & Distribution

dennis@brodak.com

His reply also included several photos.  Brodak is the best!!!

John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 07:33:35 AM »
Wing halfs togather, flaps installed.  I did remove lots of wood including cutting a notch in one of spar logs.  The controls are silky smooth.  Flaps drop under there own weight.  All is good.    #^   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:57:49 PM »
Ready to glue in the wing.  The instructions said to block up the wing and set the fuselage on top.  Couldn't get the wing to sit still on blocks so I built a couple of cradles to support the wing.  Centered and squared up the wing.  Marked the covering and cut back the excess.   Will put 4 drops of CA (one in each corner) and recheck aliment. Then I will CA the wing in place.

So far so good.   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:56 PM »
Looking good John!!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 07:07:33 AM »
John,
              What Motor and ESC are you using in this?
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »
John,
              What Motor and ESC are you using in this?

Cobra 3520 KV 980.  Hobby King Turnigy Plush 60A.  4 Cell setup.  KR timer.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »
Elevator taped in place and squared up.  Also adjusted elevator to flap rod.  Tomorrow I will check everything and glue it in permanent.  This is my first full body serious ship.  I didn't realize how final things become as you button up the fuselage.   ~^ 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 03:12:53 PM »
Did you reinforce the landing gear pad?

Yes!   #^  Big time.  The two major complaints I read in other post was substandard controls and week landing gear mount.  This forum, If one takes the time to read, will help you avoid many mistakes.  I replaced the controls and beefed up the landing gear support. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
I am ready to mount the motor, electronics, and landing gear.  So far it looks to be fairly straight, and the controls are totally free and smooth.

I have not glued on the canopy section yet.  I can still adjust the flap to elevator setting.  I have read several comments on how they should be set.  Should it be zero - zero.   Any comments will be appreciated.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
Ready for first flight.  Will report when it happens.  Came in at 65 oz.  That is with a 2800 4C battery.  Right now all I need in 4 minutes for beginners pattern.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:37:59 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Very nice. I like to set my controls so when the elevator is neutral the flaps are slightly down. There are holes on each side of the elevator horn that have covering over them you can open for adjustments. I opened up the D shaped hole and two more round holes on the bottom to let the cooling air out. I drilled a hole in the meaty part of the rudder to add tail weight with a 4-40 nut & bolt. Mine weights 71 oz with a 6s batt so you might balance ok without it.

Right now my is set at zero-zero flaps to elevator.  I did see the elevator horn openings.  My push rod has  LH & RH turn buckles making it easy to adjust.  I did enlarge the D hole to get the speed controller installed.  Opening up some of the round holes in the bottom is a good ideal.  I was able to get it balanced by moving the battery all the way forward.

Motorman, Thanks for all your help!   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »
Well all you snow bound northern flyers eat your heart out.  Today Ty and myself went flying.  68 degrees and 4 MPH wind.  North Alabama (Huntsville) is a great place for U-control.  #^

Anyway I got my second flight on MY SV-11.  According to Ty she is clipping along at a 5.2 second lap.  Line pull is huge.  As a big ship you would expect good line pull and the SV-11 did not disappoint. The really good news was battery usage.  The put back in the 4C 2800 battery was 1537 mah for a 4 minute flight or about 54% usage.  So when I want to move up from the beginners pattern I should be able to do 5.5 minutes without going to a bigger batter pack.

So it's time to start practicing the beginner's pattern.  I now have 3 airplanes that are capable of flying the full pattern so from now on it's all me!   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »
Well all you snow bound northern flyers eat your heart out.  Today Ty and myself went flying.  68 degrees and 4 MPH wind.  North Alabama (Huntsville) is a great place for U-control.  #^

Anyway I got my second flight on MY SV-11.  According to Ty she is clipping along at a 5.2 second lap.  Line pull is huge.  As a big ship you would expect good line pull and the SV-11 did not disappoint. The really good news was battery usage.  The put back in the 4C 2800 battery was 1537 mah for a 4 minute flight or about 54% usage.  So when I want to move up from the beginners pattern I should be able to do 5.5 minutes without going to a bigger batter pack.

So it's time to start practicing the beginner's pattern.  I now have 3 airplanes that are capable of flying the full pattern so from now on it's all me!   y1
John I've been meaning to get down there and fly with you and TY. I'm just over an hour away. I am available weekdays(kids are in school) or weekends to fly. Ty has my info so if you don't mind a third I'd be happy to join you.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
John I've been meaning to get down there and fly with you and TY. I'm just over an hour away. I am available weekdays(kids are in school) or weekends to fly. Ty has my info so if you don't mind a third I'd be happy to join you.

The more the Better!  We have a wonderful flying sight that is underused.  The big problem is the unpredictable weather.  We decided 10pm last night that today was a go.  I am sure Ty will see this post.  Lest plan a get together.  #^   
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »
The more the Better!  We have a wonderful flying sight that is underused.  The big problem is the unpredictable weather.  We decided 10pm last night that today was a go.  I am sure Ty will see this post.  Lest plan a get together.  #^
A call or a txt at 10pm the night before is fine with me. If it’s a weekday I can probably be there by 10am after I get the kids on the bus.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:25 AM »
A call or a txt at 10pm the night before is fine with me. If it’s a weekday I can probably be there by 10am after I get the kids on the bus.

OK
John Rist
AMA 56277

Tom Vieira

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
out of curiosity, how many hours on average do these brodak ARF's take for assembly/fixing?

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 08:26:27 AM »
out of curiosity, how many hours on average do these brodak ARF's take for assembly/fixing?

It's hard to say.  I am guessing I spent 5 to 10 hours putting mine together.  But I added a G10 motor mount and I replaced the bellcrank with a Tom Morris setup. (actually I installed a complete Tom Morris control system).  I also had to build a battery mount inside the battery box.  Every thing fit and it all went easy.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Tom Vieira

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
I have my eye on a vector at the moment, a "just because it looks cool" kinda thing lol.  I have a Gypsy in pretty much ready to start applying silkspan, and a racer ready for assembly.  with flying season here, I'm hoping my table will only be for repairs rather than building ;)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
Haven't flown this bird in years (March 2019).  Flew it today.  Pulls like a bear as a big airplane should.  Actually made a 40 point landing.  Anyway she doesn't turn as good as I would like.  So I will tape the hinge line gaps and check the CG.  Also will go back through this thread and look at the good advice given by many.  In particular setting the flaps to elevator droop.  Looks like this is going to be be a fun aircraft.   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Alex Grudev

• New Pilot
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2021, 06:17:26 AM »
Hi John, thank you very much for posting information about SV-11 ARF electric - there not so many information about this kit. I have just received a parcel with Sv-11 Electric and plan to use in the future as a first full-sized plane, currently I fly smaller ones and try to make a full stunt pattern. As I understood you used Cobra motor instead of the one recommended by Brodak - how did you mount it? Do you have a photo of how the motor is mounted? Did you make some custom mount for that?

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2021, 10:37:04 AM »
Hi John, thank you very much for posting information about SV-11 ARF electric - there not so many information about this kit. I have just received a parcel with Sv-11 Electric and plan to use in the future as a first full-sized plane, currently I fly smaller ones and try to make a full stunt pattern. As I understood you used Cobra motor instead of the one recommended by Brodak - how did you mount it? Do you have a photo of how the motor is mounted? Did you make some custom mount for that?
The Cobra 3520 KV 980 motor that I used is pretty much a direct replacement for the Brodak motor. Didn't take any modifications to mount it.  I did add a Bob Hunt fiberglass mount to the back side of the existing motor mount.  Not sure it was worth the effort.  The existing mount probably is OK all by it's self.  The Cobra 3520 KV 980 is a 4 cell motor.  If you plan to use a 5 or 6 cell battery you will need to adjust the KV of the motor accordingly.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
The Cobra 3520 KV 980 motor that I used is pretty much a direct replacement for the Brodak motor. Didn't take any modifications to mount it.  I did add a Bob Hunt fiberglass mount to the back side of the existing motor mount.  Not sure it was worth the effort.  The existing mount probably is OK all by it's self.  The Cobra 3520 KV 980 is a 4 cell motor.  If you plan to use a 5 or 6 cell battery you will need to adjust the KV of the motor accordingly.
I am not 100% but I think the 3520/10 will take a 5s but not a 6s.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
I am not 100% but I think the 3520/10 will take a 5s but not a 6s.

Ken
True.  The cobra 3529/10 has 5s listed in the prop chart.  Ken thanks for the update.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Alex Grudev

• New Pilot
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2021, 05:42:04 AM »
Thanks for a quick reply. And which propeller adapter do you use? As I see the Cobra engine comes with a bolt-on prop adapter and you can't use it when mounting on the existent mount - you need some collet prop adapter  to fix it on a flat engine shaft - am I right?  I am looking at BadAss 3515 motor and it also has only bolt-on adapters whilst the Brodak's recommended engine has a collet adapter.

Regarding the 4s or 5-6s: I see 2 options for myself - the first is BadAss 3515 940kv, 4S battery and 2-blade prop or the second is BadAss 3515 710kv, 6S battery and 3-blade propeller. My concern is a weight of the batteries - for 4s it will be approx. 270-300grams and for 6S it will be more than 500 grams - I am afraid that a heavier battery can move the CG forward. The Brodak recommends 4S for this model and I see from some SV11 reviews that people tend to use 4S as well. Any thoughts on this?

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2021, 09:41:17 AM »
Thanks for a quick reply. And which propeller adapter do you use? As I see the Cobra engine comes with a bolt-on prop adapter and you can't use it when mounting on the existent mount - you need some collet prop adapter  to fix it on a flat engine shaft - am I right?  I am looking at BadAss 3515 motor and it also has only bolt-on adapters whilst the Brodak's recommended engine has a collet adapter.

Regarding the 4s or 5-6s: I see 2 options for myself - the first is BadAss 3515 940kv, 4S battery and 2-blade prop or the second is BadAss 3515 710kv, 6S battery and 3-blade propeller. My concern is a weight of the batteries - for 4s it will be approx. 270-300grams and for 6S it will be more than 500 grams - I am afraid that a heavier battery can move the CG forward. The Brodak recommends 4S for this model and I see from some SV11 reviews that people tend to use 4S as well. Any thoughts on this?

The interesting thing about batteries and weight is that the energy density drives the weight. A 6s battery suitable for the flight will weigh pretty much the same as a 4s battery. I use a 5s 3000 MAH 5s in mine and it weighs 300 grams. This battery is likely the same battery that is sold by TP as a 5s 2800 MAH. I'm running a BadAss 3520 650Kv. 5:40 flight time. The E-Flite spinner I am using includes an integral collet adapter.

Battery:

https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteries/5s-18-5v/hobbystar-3000mah-18-5v-5s-30c-lipo-battery.html

the 6s is 370 grams and I wouldn't hesitate to use this. My airplane came out a little bit towards the aft CG zone and I added a bit of nose weight, about an ounce.

https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteries/6s-22-2v/hobbystar-3000mah-22-2v-6s-30c-lipo-battery.html

Spinner:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/2.00-aluminum-spinner-with-4mm-and-5mm-collets/EFLSP200.html

The round Lithium ion batteries are more power efficient per volume than the poly bag cells. A six cell 2600 pack would weigh in around 320 grams but the package won't fit through the cutout.

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2021, 09:49:05 AM »
I bought the spinner adaptor from Tom Morris.  All of Tom's stuff is being sold by Okieair.  Okieair lists a 2" two bladed reverse pitch spinner.  However it does not say that it has a 5mm collet built in.  The one from Tom did have the 5mm adaptor built in.  A call to Okieair would be in order to make sure.
https://okieair.com/shop/ols/products/2-reverse-pitch-spinner

The prop I am using is an APC 12 x 6 EP.   There is a lot of discussion on the electric board about which is better, tractor or pusher prop.  I am mostly a sport flyer so I am not up on which is best.  All my electric airplanes have pusher props.  They seem to give me good line tension for most of my flying.  But like I say, what do I know.

Every thing I have flies on 4S.  That is one of the reasons I went with 4S on my SV-11.  It seems to work so I am happy. Another point I would like to make is that right now I am trying to learn the beginners pattern so I only fly for 4 minutes. The put back in the 4C 2800 battery was 1537 mah for a 4 minute flight or about 54% usage.  So when I want to move up from the beginners pattern I should be able to do 5.5 minutes without going to a bigger batter pack.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
I bought the spinner adaptor from Tom Morris.  All of Tom's stuff is being sold by Okieair.  Okieair lists a 2" two bladed reverse pitch spinner.  However it does not say that it has a 5mm collet built in.  The one from Tom did have the 5mm adaptor built in.  A call to Okieair would be in order to make sure.
https://okieair.com/shop/ols/products/2-reverse-pitch-spinner

The prop I am using is an APC 12 x 6 EP.   There is a lot of discussion on the electric board about which is better, tractor or pusher prop.  I am mostly a sport flyer so I am not up on which is best.  All my electric airplanes have pusher props.  They seem to give me good line tension for most of my flying.  But like I say, what do I know.

Every thing I have flies on 4S.  That is one of the reasons I went with 4S on my SV-11.  It seems to work so I am happy. Another point I would like to make is that right now I am trying to learn the beginners pattern so I only fly for 4 minutes. The put back in the 4C 2800 battery was 1537 mah for a 4 minute flight or about 54% usage.  So when I want to move up from the beginners pattern I should be able to do 5.5 minutes without going to a bigger batter pack.

There's really nothing wrong with that set up. I'm not a fan of the pusher setup personally. I've tried really hard to like it. However it does things not within my muscle memory and I fly different airplanes so, like your great battery choice, I just stick with what works for me. I began E-CL using 3S batteries because that is what I had from my RC flying. Then I moved to 4s because everyone said they are "better" and lighter. They weren't when they are sized to fly the same mission. You can take two motors and two batteries with the same propeller and airplane and flying wise the performance is the same. Reason being is that he airplane performance is dependent upon the propeller being used. For instance the 3s 2200 MAH and the 4s 1800 MAH have exactly the same total energy content. They weigh within a few grams of each other and at the end of the flight power capacity ratio is he same. This result shows there is truly not a clear advantage of one over the other beyond the one that says, I used these because they are the ones like I already use. BTW, energy density is Watt hours per Kg.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
There's really nothing wrong with that set up. I'm not a fan of the pusher setup personally. I've tried really hard to like it. However it does things not within my muscle memory and I fly different airplanes so, like your great battery choice, I just stick with what works for me. I began E-CL using 3S batteries because that is what I had from my RC flying. Then I moved to 4s because everyone said they are "better" and lighter. They weren't when they are sized to fly the same mission. You can take two motors and two batteries with the same propeller and airplane and flying wise the performance is the same. Reason being is that he airplane performance is dependent upon the propeller being used. For instance the 3s 2200 MAH and the 4s 1800 MAH have exactly the same total energy content. They weigh within a few grams of each other and at the end of the flight power capacity ratio is he same. This result shows there is truly not a clear advantage of one over the other beyond the one that says, I used these because they are the ones like I already use. BTW, energy density is Watt hours per Kg.
What you said is all true.  However, if you are using a 4c setup and need more head room to maintain the set RPMs you can go to a 5c.  The other advantage of higher cell count is that it runs on lower current.  This means you may be able to use a smaller ESC and wires.  This might save weight.  Of course with really big airplanes (piped 60 size) 6c is required to keep the amp draw to a reasonable level.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Alex Grudev

• New Pilot
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2021, 03:22:35 AM »
Guys, thank you very much for the detailed answers, really appreciate this. If there are no objections from a topic starter, I will post some updates on the model once I build it - hope to prepare it till the next flying season.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here