Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

My SV-11 just arrived.

<< < (8/8)

John Rist:
I bought the spinner adaptor from Tom Morris.  All of Tom's stuff is being sold by Okieair.  Okieair lists a 2" two bladed reverse pitch spinner.  However it does not say that it has a 5mm collet built in.  The one from Tom did have the 5mm adaptor built in.  A call to Okieair would be in order to make sure.
https://okieair.com/shop/ols/products/2-reverse-pitch-spinner

The prop I am using is an APC 12 x 6 EP.   There is a lot of discussion on the electric board about which is better, tractor or pusher prop.  I am mostly a sport flyer so I am not up on which is best.  All my electric airplanes have pusher props.  They seem to give me good line tension for most of my flying.  But like I say, what do I know.

Every thing I have flies on 4S.  That is one of the reasons I went with 4S on my SV-11.  It seems to work so I am happy. Another point I would like to make is that right now I am trying to learn the beginners pattern so I only fly for 4 minutes. The put back in the 4C 2800 battery was 1537 mah for a 4 minute flight or about 54% usage.  So when I want to move up from the beginners pattern I should be able to do 5.5 minutes without going to a bigger batter pack.

Mark wood:

--- Quote from: John Rist on December 22, 2021, 09:49:05 AM ---I bought the spinner adaptor from Tom Morris.  All of Tom's stuff is being sold by Okieair.  Okieair lists a 2" two bladed reverse pitch spinner.  However it does not say that it has a 5mm collet built in.  The one from Tom did have the 5mm adaptor built in.  A call to Okieair would be in order to make sure.
https://okieair.com/shop/ols/products/2-reverse-pitch-spinner

The prop I am using is an APC 12 x 6 EP.   There is a lot of discussion on the electric board about which is better, tractor or pusher prop.  I am mostly a sport flyer so I am not up on which is best.  All my electric airplanes have pusher props.  They seem to give me good line tension for most of my flying.  But like I say, what do I know.

Every thing I have flies on 4S.  That is one of the reasons I went with 4S on my SV-11.  It seems to work so I am happy. Another point I would like to make is that right now I am trying to learn the beginners pattern so I only fly for 4 minutes. The put back in the 4C 2800 battery was 1537 mah for a 4 minute flight or about 54% usage.  So when I want to move up from the beginners pattern I should be able to do 5.5 minutes without going to a bigger batter pack.

--- End quote ---

There's really nothing wrong with that set up. I'm not a fan of the pusher setup personally. I've tried really hard to like it. However it does things not within my muscle memory and I fly different airplanes so, like your great battery choice, I just stick with what works for me. I began E-CL using 3S batteries because that is what I had from my RC flying. Then I moved to 4s because everyone said they are "better" and lighter. They weren't when they are sized to fly the same mission. You can take two motors and two batteries with the same propeller and airplane and flying wise the performance is the same. Reason being is that he airplane performance is dependent upon the propeller being used. For instance the 3s 2200 MAH and the 4s 1800 MAH have exactly the same total energy content. They weigh within a few grams of each other and at the end of the flight power capacity ratio is he same. This result shows there is truly not a clear advantage of one over the other beyond the one that says, I used these because they are the ones like I already use. BTW, energy density is Watt hours per Kg.

John Rist:

--- Quote from: Mark wood on December 22, 2021, 10:05:19 AM ---There's really nothing wrong with that set up. I'm not a fan of the pusher setup personally. I've tried really hard to like it. However it does things not within my muscle memory and I fly different airplanes so, like your great battery choice, I just stick with what works for me. I began E-CL using 3S batteries because that is what I had from my RC flying. Then I moved to 4s because everyone said they are "better" and lighter. They weren't when they are sized to fly the same mission. You can take two motors and two batteries with the same propeller and airplane and flying wise the performance is the same. Reason being is that he airplane performance is dependent upon the propeller being used. For instance the 3s 2200 MAH and the 4s 1800 MAH have exactly the same total energy content. They weigh within a few grams of each other and at the end of the flight power capacity ratio is he same. This result shows there is truly not a clear advantage of one over the other beyond the one that says, I used these because they are the ones like I already use. BTW, energy density is Watt hours per Kg.

--- End quote ---
What you said is all true.  However, if you are using a 4c setup and need more head room to maintain the set RPMs you can go to a 5c.  The other advantage of higher cell count is that it runs on lower current.  This means you may be able to use a smaller ESC and wires.  This might save weight.  Of course with really big airplanes (piped 60 size) 6c is required to keep the amp draw to a reasonable level.

Alex Grudev:
Guys, thank you very much for the detailed answers, really appreciate this. If there are no objections from a topic starter, I will post some updates on the model once I build it - hope to prepare it till the next flying season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version