Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

My SV-11 ARF Build

<< < (2/3) > >>

Brent Williams:
Hard to tell from the pictures what you used for the main leads on your battery packs, but you can use 14g for the leads on your 6S packs. 
Most guys are using 14g as it is perfectly adequate and saves some weight over 12g. 
I had my 6S packs built with overly long 5" 12g leads which added a needless weight penalty.

Jeremy Chinn:
Good eye Brent. I made this pack with 12 ga. It’s definitely too heavy and I need to replace it with 14. The 12 is harder to solder to connectors and other parts as well.

Ken Culbertson:
I am sure that using 14g wire will work fine in a low stress application where you are not drawing more that 20 amps.  But even 20 is higher than what 14g is rated for which is 15 amps.  Most wire with decent insulation will take double the rated amps before it starts melting but will generate a lot of heat doing it.  Heat = capacity loss.  There is a reason building codes specify a 15amp breaker for 14g wiring.  My rule of thumb is to use whatever is on the motor and make it as short as possible.

Ken

Jeremy Chinn:
At our local Frosty Fingers Idiot Fly (very accurate name) we put a couple short flights on my SV-11. My buddy put a short 1 min hop in on it to make sure everything was reasonably set up. I then put a 2 min flight on it to see what it was like.

Some notes:

-magnetic cowl attachment worked well.
-battery attachment and cooling were perfect
-motor and ESC barely got warm
-12x6 was too much pitch. Even after backing down the rpm, it was still too fast.
-Climb&Dive Timer programming is awesome
-I really like the new handle I set up.
-3 mins of total flying took out 975 mah, but still without prop and RPM dialed in.

I’m excited to get some good weather and more flights in.

Brent Williams:
My plane has a similar setup. 64oz , Badass 2826 690KV, 6S-Li-Ion.  When I reviewed the ESC data logs for my flights, I found that for the same lap times, the APC 12x6e required 400rpm less, and pulled more amps than the Badass 12x6e.   I like the turn quality and feel of the lighter, wood Badass 12x6e much better.  The Xoar 12x6e is also a nice option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version