News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More SV Photos  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
More SV Photos
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:14:46 PM »
I took a closer look at the nose of the ARF SV-11, to see how some engine and tank options would fit.

#01, 02: The LA .46 drops right in, but the front cowl anchor encroaches on the exhaust area and would encumber muffler attachment. I'd relocate it about 2" aft. That will help pull the cowl sides inward (otherwise they bow out slightly, away from the fuselage sides). The box label recommends a 5 oz. tank. That's enough for the LA .46 (probably the smallest engine that would adequately power this model), but not for some of the larger engines more likely to be used.

#04, 06: A Stalker .60 RE just barely fits between the forward cowl anchors. If a compact rear exhaust engine is used, they could be left as is. The Stalker's cover plate butts up against F-1. I would take out F-1 anyway, to make room for a 6 oz. tank (for the Stalker) or 7 oz. for most .60 engines (especially the Super Tigre).

#05, 07, Nobler, Score: A rusted 6.5 oz. set-up tank does not quite clear F-1, but a 6.0 oz. easily clears. However, in both cases a channel must be cut for the pick up tube. Normally, I just remove this front former (as do many other fliers) and install a horizontal former between the fuselage sides, preferably with shims above and below the tank, to dial in the proper height (as shown in photos of my ARF Nobler & Score).

#09, 10: Inside of the tank compartment is 2.25 inches wide. An eight ounce Kavan plastic tank slides right in. There might be issues with vertical height adjustment relative to engine location, but at least it can be tried. A 6.0 oz. Sullivan tank makes a snug fit with the bubble to the outboard side. I don't have an 8 oz. Sullivan handy, but from experience with the flex style I know it can be squished slightly to fit a tight space.

It's unlikely I'll be finishing one of these any time soon, but I may report on the progress of kits assembled by other club members. Regards, EWP

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here