News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More fun with the ARF Flite Streak  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
More fun with the ARF Flite Streak
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
I was having some takeoff/landing issues with my FS ARF that required some overhaul.  The supplied gear and wheel are completely useless.  While tapping a brass tube bushing into the gear mounting hole the nose fell off.  It had been broken before and CA'd back together making another repair nearly impossible.  I'm amazed at how little structure there is in the nose, and how the designers didn't give any consideration to the nose to wing joint.  The doublers are actually smaller then the original TF kit doublers.  There are two styles of doublers used in the original kits, both are considerably more beefy then the current arf.  You can see from the pics that the nose broke right where the doublers end, and that the fuselage is almost entirely super soft 1/16" balsa.  The only real support is for the landing gear and its pretty much pointless since the supplied gear is useless and its in the wrong place for a gear that would actually work.  I also checked the bellcrank through the inspection cover.  I replaced all the kit hardware except the bellcrank, and I should have tossed it too.  I bushed the leadout holes by putting brass tubing over the leadout wires, and you can see where the brass tubing has worn the aluminum bellcrank.  Also the brass bushing in the bellcrank pivot has been eating at the bellcrank resulting in 1/32-1/16" of slop.  All the gray/black stuff in the bellcrank area is really aluminum filings from the bellcrank self destructing. If I had it to do again I'd throw away the supplied fuselage, and all the hardware.  I've put maybe 20 flights on it, I wouldn't expect this kind of wear with this little use. 

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: More fun with the ARF Flite Streak
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:09:58 PM »
I bought one---flew it a few times and gave it away while it was still in one piece.

Not even close to the old T.F. kit I had years ago. S?P

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »
It flew ok, no complaints there.  For the price I paid I'm still not angry.  I just think it's stupid that they cut down the size of the doublers and didn't give any thought to a landing gear that would actually work. 

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »
I'm currently putting together ARF Flight Streak, and that was the first thing I did.  I made a new fuselage with real 1/8" plywood and solid 1/2" balsa.  basically so it could support my old Super Tigre C.35.  (Its what I had in my old FS 30 yrs ago) I think the ARF is fine, if you're running something like an O S .20 or a .25LA-S.  but its an weak plane for sure comparing to the kit one.  I'm also putting on a two wheel landing gear.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:23:04 AM »
Are fellows the original Flite Streak was designed for combat and I believe the landing gear was an after thought for the sport flyers at the time.  The ARF Streak was designed for another generation of modelers.  I don't beleive it was designed for combat also to cut costs the structure was changed.  Comparing to the kit I have on the shelf I can also see some differences in the size.  Maybe these old eye balls.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »
The front end is marginal even for the FP 20 I was using.  It's scary to me that TF would send these things out suggesting that a little 1/16" balsa can safely retain a 25 LA or 40 LA.  :o  The strength just isn't there.  If a prop is slightly out of balance or the engine kicks back while starting the nose could be damaged.  Whoever Top Flite had designing and testing these things missed the boat.  I'm sure this isn't really news to anyone but I'd never seen the inside of one of these.  I would have guessed at least the motor crutch would be solid.  Anyway I see that Top Flite has a few avenues for feedback on their website.  The first gives us a chance to review their product and make suggestions.  http://www.top-flite.com/feedback/aircraft-comments.html  The second asks for product ideas and suggestions. http://www.top-flite.com/suggestion.html  It can't hurt to let them know how they could improve their product. 

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
Wow, there really isn't much in that nose.  What would be the thoughts on filling the empty spaces with some kind of expanding "stuff" ?  Like maybe Gorilla glue or something similar?  If a person was to drill a few small holes and squirt foaming glue into the voids, at least it wouldn't be hollow anymore.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:58:54 AM »
  1/2" balsa must be a rarity in China

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »
  1/2" balsa must be a rarity in China
Also sandpaper???

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »
what you guys are expecting a Trivial Pursuit for your 50 bucks? Hey talk to the Dirt about the ARF Flight streak before ytou get to far into bashing it. He flies one at everycontest, Lord knows how old that nasty thing is but hey, its an ARF and it has scored over 500 IIRC many times. Steve Helmick has better knowledge than I do in particulars.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 10:46:01 PM »
You missed the point.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
Im sorry, what point did I miss ? sounded like to me you were saying it wasnt an appropriate value, If I was mistaken I apologize
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 08:01:30 AM »
I did the same thing as Ty, and that extra inch in the nose and extra two at the tail really work!  I also added an "idler horn", (that's what I call it) attached to the fuselage approximately where a flap horn would be, kinda like a flap horn without the flap.  I used a servo horn with all the spokes cut off, but one.  Very smooth, but responsive, plane.   Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »
I'm not an expert a in anything relating to c/l model airplanes.  Just wanted to get that out of the way up front!   I have learned a LOT in the 40 plus years I have been building and flying them, though.  I have been fortunate enough to have a few top level guys as friends whom I can talk to when needed.  These guys have been World Champions and multiple NATS Champs, so I steal from only the best! LL~

We have been notorious for over building airplanes for decades.  It is truly amazing just what will work, and last, over LONG periods of time.  Now, to quantify that...... this is dealing with models who people use that can fly safely without the hazard of crashing (at least not often), and then it is not a pilot error, generally..  The TF Streak it aimed at a different crowd in my eyes.  It will be abused in my thinking.  A retread who hasn't touched a handle in years, a R/C guy who wants to give it a shot, etc.., not a pilot who will pick up the handle and fly the whole pattern successfully.

Therefore, I feel the TF Streak is somewhat of a liability in that concern.  The nose will come off pretty easy!  And it will be given the chance inthe hands of those who will be the major market.  Fortunately, it doesn't appear to be a *SAFETY* issue, mearly a durability one. 

If I didn't already have a Streak (old TF kit built) I would probably pick one up for practice.  But to expect one to survive multiple crashes is out of line.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 10:57:54 AM »
I don't think anyone is talking about the price, performance, or value.  I don't expect a Trivial Persuit for $50. 
I created this thread to show how lightly built the front end really is.  For the average person who might buy one of these it's not likely to be pampered.  Even the softest crash will damage the nose.  Worse yet the Monokote won't reveal stress cracks under the the covering.  This could very easily become a safety concern.  Top Flite made changes to the design, most probably to lower the price.  A few more square inches of plywood would make the ARF a much better product, without impacting the price or the final weight much at all.  Top Flite provides a few different ways to give them feedback and help them improve their products.  I suggest we give them the feedback.  If we help them improve the product everyone wins.  If we don't tell them when there's a problem, it won't be corrected.   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 08:50:55 AM »
The so called weak link in the ARF Flite Streak has been saving some engines for me.  Especially when the girls are flying or even the step grandsons.  I put quite a few flights on the airplane just practicing the pattern with no thought of crashing.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 07:31:07 PM »
Any profile with 2 wire landing gears will have the problem you speak of.
Here is what I did to fix mine. All in one. Works real well.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »
I drilled out the lg holes and put dowels so I wouldn't crush the fuselage.  But I also used a flat plate gear, titanium no less.  What the heck I had it laying around!

Others commented, only FS with a titanium gear ever seen!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here