News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best ARF for a 60th anniversary Fox 35?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Best ARF for a 60th anniversary Fox 35?
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
Well, as the title says, I'm looking for either a plans built or ARF model for my Fox 35.  I tried putting it on a Flite Streak ARF, but it wasn't a great choice.  I'm now flying the FS with an O.S. LA .25, so I need a plane for the Fox.  I'd probably go for an ARF, since I spend inordinate amounts of time building my 1/2A planes, and I think I'd prefer to do the .35 plane in an evening.  What are my current choices of plane that are in stock at this time?  The Brodak Super Clown is a .19-.35 size, so I'm concerned about prop clearance, and the ARF Oriental is a .35-.60, so I'm concerned it'd be underpowered.  The Bi-Slob is a maybe, but the clearance is again a concern.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:34:39 PM by Mark Mc »

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Best ARF for a 60th anniversary Fox 35?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
Nobler ....
Joe Daly

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
Test stand!

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »
Mark,
We have run the Foxes on both Suoer Clowns and Orientals.  Clearance was not an issue on either. Depending on what you like either is fine.  The suggestion of a Nobler is good as well but may need some modifications to strengthen the nose a bit.  For what it is worth I have had a 50th on an ARF Smoothie that flew well too.  For all out fun a Slob is hard to beat.
Good luck,
John
John Paris

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
I would opt for a SMOOTHIE

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
I had mine in the Brodak Nobler ARF and it was a great fit. 

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »
I had one on the super clown.  Actually it works fine in the super clown but it is more prone to vibrating. And then the problem was the burp, but I ended putting wood in the engine to cure it. Still, not cured 100%.

I personnaly would put it in an oriental, smoothie or nobler, where the fox will be very happy.

Dan

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
So my choices look like a Nobler, Smoothie, Oriental, or maybe Bi-Slob.  The Nobler is out.  For some reason, I just do not like the lines of the Nobler.  I don’t k now exactly what it is about it.  It’s just a turn off for me. 

So it’s down to a Smoothie, Oriental, or Bi-Slob.  I like the looks of the Smoothie, but Brodak only shows an ARC for the Smoothie.  Does anyone know if Brodak is expecting more ARF Smoothies to come in?  The Bi-Slob looks like fun, but I’m not sure.  I think I want something that carves through the air, not almost 3D type flying.  I guess that narrows it down to the Oriental, if no Smoothies are coming back in to stock.  The Brodak site has blue and yellow Oriental ARFs in stock.  I’ll have to look around and see if I can find a picture of either to see what the covering looks like.

Mark

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »
The arf oriental is a great choise. Actually flies like the nobler, ii was told.
I have two arf orientals.
Dan

Offline Kevin Ferguson

• New Pilot
Best ARF for a 60th anniversary Fox 35?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:17 PM »
A full fuselage (vs. Profile) will allow upright or inverted mounting, and avoid chance of the fox burp issue.  My 60th annv. had no problem on a FS until I removed the muffler, then it would reliably die at the top of outside maneuvers.  Stick in the transfer port seemed to have cured that issue.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
I had mine in the Brodak Nobler ARF and it was a great fit. 

Duke...you probably meant Top Flite Nobler ARF? Or does Brodak have an "Original Nobler" ARF that I'm not aware of?

Anyway, I'd always suggest getting the ARC version instead of the ARF. Paint the fuselage, film the rest with the good stuff (?) if you must! Oriental or Smoothie...I think the Oriental is a little better, but the Smoothie is also OTS legal if you want to confuse yourself with two patterns...I don't!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
I thought the Pathfinder was popular?

Brodak is sold out of them but that doesn't mean the model is popular. They may not have had many?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
I thought the Pathfinder was popular?

Brodak is sold out of them but that doesn't mean the model is popular. They may not have had many?

The question was about an ARF for a Fox .35. Yes, it would haul an ARF Pathfinder off the ground, but that's not the "best" ARF for that engine, pretty clearly.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:23 AM »
The question was about an ARF for a Fox .35. Yes, it would haul an ARF Pathfinder off the ground, but that's not the "best" ARF for that engine, pretty clearly.  H^^ Steve

Didn't notice that Fox .35 request, so sorry for the Post.

But thanks for the courtesy and the heads up.  H^^

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here