News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Legacy ARC  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Legacy ARC
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:31 AM »
Any experience with these? How are they working out?

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
Re: Legacy ARC
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »
 A friend has one powerd with an Evo 60 , it flys very well . It came out  light and could  easily use a .46 for power.
              Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
Here is mine I am finishing currently. To be powered by an OS 46VF on a pipe until the 65 arrives.

It comes with a heavy duty phenolic bellcrank with sleeved tubing and carbon pushrods with titanium ends and ball links.
Duck

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
Mine started as an ARF but I recovered it and made a lot of changes for E-power, so its an ARFC. Been flying two years, several hundred flights. Excellent performe. Tom Morris-type control system, heavy duty hinges. I would strengthen the landing gear blocks before covering the wing, the short piece of hardwood that the end of the torque arm of the gear leg bears against came loose on one side. I can give the model high marks for accurate construction from the factory. I also strenghtened the wing panel joiners by inserting a CF tube in them, like the ham in a sandwich. I have some photos of the build if I can find the file.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »
Very nice, thanks everyone. Carbon fiber and titanium. Amazing. Were the leadouts wrapped or crimped? 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:03 AM »
Very nice, thanks everyone. Carbon fiber and titanium. Amazing. Were the leadouts wrapped or crimped? 

Hi Dennis,

I know it is not the same, but the leadouts in the Strega ARC I picked up were crimped........  I changed them.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
Leadouts are crimped. I know there are engineering reasons why we aren't supposed to like crimped ends but these work fine. Survived many pull tests at contests. They are bushed in a curved tube at the BC. There are a bunch of Brazilian flyers with the ARF Legacy on various large engines, no reported problems.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:25:58 AM »
Leadouts are crimped. I know there are engineering reasons why we aren't supposed to like crimped ends but these work fine. Survived many pull tests at contests. They are bushed in a curved tube at the BC. There are a bunch of Brazilian flyers with the ARF Legacy on various large engines, no reported problems.

Absolute strength has never been the problem with crimps. But even the tiniest bit if flexing at the edge of the crimp will eventually cause the cable to fail.

Brett

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
Yes, that's the "engineering" factor I was referring to. I guess the question is how much risk one wants to accept. Swaging or wrapping lines is preferred, but on the other hand thousands of these models are in use with no abnormal failure rate I have heard of. Don't know of any reliable evidence one way or the other that ARF crimped lines fail at a different rate than other types. I swage my leadouts on self-built models, which is most of them. It may also be the case that newer ARFs are better than earlier ones from a decade ago as to this aspect of construction.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
Yes, that's the "engineering" factor I was referring to. I guess the question is how much risk one wants to accept. Swaging or wrapping lines is preferred, but on the other hand thousands of these models are in use with no abnormal failure rate I have heard of. Don't know of any reliable evidence one way or the other that ARF crimped lines fail at a different rate than other types.

Go check SSW from around the time the ARF Nobler came out. The only thing that stopped them from failing from the crimp/swage is that something else fell apart first. You may recall Heman Lee's ARF Nobler that wore out both leadout hole AND the pushord hole in the bellcrank in about 3 flights. The leadout hole was about 3/16 in diameter - after three flights.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
  Absolute strength has never been the problem with crimps. But even the tiniest bit if flexing at the edge of the crimp will eventually cause the cable to fail.

Brett
  It doesn't matter what type of termination you use on lines and lead outs.   At VSC after a practice flight I was going to put up another one when I looked at my wrapped lines.   There were a couple of strands of cable sticking out at  the wrapped end and was fraying out toward the handle from the plane.   Needless to say I was thankful it was discovered and lines were redone.    Even on my swagged lines I check them for any loose strands.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
Here it is now, clear next

Duck

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
That scheme really stands out and will probably knock us all out once the clear is on.   I love it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »
Here it is now, clear next

Wow, I like that scheme. It's simple but it looks really good. y1

Just a thought here though...maybe extend the darker blue that's on the nose and sweeps up and back to the canopy, continuing it again behind the canopy and then just have it come to a point at the base of the fin? Looks like it would be real easy...
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
Wow, I like that scheme. It's simple but it looks really good. y1

Just a thought here though...maybe extend the darker blue that's on the nose and sweeps up and back to the canopy, continuing it again behind the canopy and then just have it come to a point at the base of the fin? Looks like it would be real easy...

Yes, I was thinking of doing that, stay tuned
Duck

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
Yes, I was thinking of doing that, stay tuned

10-4. H^^
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964!