Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

Leadout position

<< < (2/2)

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Craig Beswick on October 07, 2020, 02:31:59 PM ---Thank you Doc and John.

Ken, I always measure CG from where the wing attaches to the fuselage. For me, it is easier to check it there.

So I am looking for the fuselage to be slightly downward, at the nose, when hanging from the lines?

Thank you.

--- End quote ---
With the flaps at neutral - you got it.

Ken

Perry Rose:
Measuring c/g or leadout location is easier if you measure from the trailing edge. On most planes with flaps the t.e. is straight. So if the c/g is 7 inches up from the t.e.( as measured on the plans) the leadouts should be 6 inches up. Or you can use the line level on the nose method.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Perry Rose on October 10, 2020, 09:51:21 AM ---Measuring c/g or leadout location is easier if you measure from the trailing edge. On most planes with flaps the t.e. is straight. So if the c/g is 7 inches up from the t.e.( as measured on the plans) the leadouts should be 6 inches up. Or you can use the line level on the nose method.

--- End quote ---
You have just alluded to another use of predictive calculations.  Placement of the adjustable leadout guide.  Ever put one in too far back/forward? 

Ken

L0U CRANE:
Yes. I DID have one model that had leadout guides and CG in a really bad mismatch! So bad that when I pulled input in one direction, the 'other' line sagged a long way back from the loaded line. Noticeably more control input effort was needed then.

Learned a lot from that, and studied why and how it happened. Not a pleasant lesson, but I gained more in learning why, and how to prevent it.

Many years ago, and now we all have a much better understanding of such. Go with the current guidance!

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: L0U CRANE on December 02, 2020, 03:58:04 PM ---Yes. I DID have one model that had leadout guides and CG in a really bad mismatch! So bad that when I pulled input in one direction, the 'other' line sagged a long way back from the loaded line. Noticeably more control input effort was needed then.

--- End quote ---

How do you figure that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version