Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

LA 25 in a ARF NOBLER

(1/7) > >>

Al Ferraro:
  I'm going to try a LA 25 in the ARF Nobler (got the Tower deal) and wanted to know if anyone has done this successfully? After using the Gardner piston and liner in my LA .25 powered combat plane will great results, I thought why not try it in the Nobler? I already mounted the engine by replacing the mounts with 8" long 3/8 by 1/2 maple because the stock mounts were to wide and short. I would like to know prop, tank size, fuel, etc.
Thanks Al

Fredvon4:
Al I would like a Nobler just for nostalgia reasons but my reading of all these threads is the plane needs a pretty strong motor... Love my La 25s on 30 oz planes but think a OS 30~32~35~40  would be a better fit for the rather porky ARF Nobler... NO experience just what I read here

If I ever do get a Nobler I think I will use my LA 40 for it

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Al Ferraro on December 07, 2016, 11:12:39 AM ---  I'm going to try a LA 25 in the ARF Nobler (got the Tower deal) and wanted to know if anyone has done this successfully? After using the Gardner piston and liner in my LA .25 powered combat plane will great results, I thought why not try it in the Nobler? I already mounted the engine by replacing the mounts with 8" long 3/8 by 1/2 maple because the stock mounts were to wide and short. I would like to know prop, tank size, fuel, etc.
Thanks Al

--- End quote ---

If stock, I would expect that to work pretty well - better than the original when GMA was flying it.

Brett

Al Ferraro:

--- Quote from: Brett Buck on December 07, 2016, 10:06:23 PM ---  If stock, I would expect that to work pretty well - better than the original when GMA was flying it.

Brett

--- End quote ---

The engine will be stock except I will be using the Gardner piston & liner that is timed at the stock spec. I have the stock muffler and a much lighter Mac header to try.
 What would you recommend as a base line setup?
Thanks Al

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Al Ferraro on December 08, 2016, 08:30:38 AM ---
   The engine will be stock except I will be using the Gardner piston & liner that is timed at the stock spec. I have the stock muffler and a much lighter Mac header to try.
 What would you recommend as a base line setup?
Thanks Al

--- End quote ---

Stock engine, stock muffler (should be the E2030), stock "small" venturi, stock needle valve, APC 9x4 prop, 10% nitro.  Launch at around 11000 or 12000 -- experiment with that.  If it doesn't have enough power, try more nitro.  If you get desperate, try a bigger venturi, but the bigger the venturi the less of a "break" you'll get (and even on the correct-for-25LA "wet 2" run you still get a break).

I have no personal experience with it, but there was, apparently, a running production change which means that the older 25LAs are wimpy, and the newer ones are nice and powerful.  I don't know how to tell the difference without trying them out, but hopefully the Gardner P&L means that it's a "strong" one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version