News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just got a good price on a TF Flite Streak ARF  (Read 1071 times)

Offline 50+AirYears

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Just got a good price on a TF Flite Streak ARF
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:30 AM »
I just had the opportunity to pick up a Flite Streak ARF at an LHS for $60.00.  Looking the parts over, it seems o me the fuse is a segmented hollow core with 1/16" sides.  Having flown a number of these planes with the 1/2" solid fuse and .35s and .36s, I was just wondering if this construction is strong enough to take one of my old Veco .35s?  I notice in the instructions the engine cut-out is opened for an OS LA .25.  If they have equivalent power, I do have a Fox Schnurle .25 I could use.  I know my RC Fox .25s turn a 9-4 APC at close to 15000 on 10% nitro, but I haven't tached the CL engine yet.  I imagine the CL venturi has a bit more area, and might turn up a bit more rpms.  Being on pension and SSI, I'm not considering buying any more engines (having aabout 153, from .010s to a Fox .78).

My list of possible engines for this plane run from the fox .25 up through a McCoy RH .35, Fox .35 Stunt, Veco .35S, OS Max .35 FP CL engine, an OS Max .29 II, a K&B Stallion .35, or a Fox .40 Schnurle .40 CL engine.

I'm also a bit concerned with the included pushrod.  It looks like the hardened black wire like I remember being very brittle and snapping easily.  Should I maybe replace this with a 1.16" or 3/32" mw?

Anybody know the tank capacity?  I'm guessing from the size about 2.5 ounces.  I haven't found it in the instructions.

It will be interesting to compare this one with the original kit plane I have powered by a 48 year old Fox .36 needle bearing engine.
Tony

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Re: Just got a good price on a TF Flite Streak ARF
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:22:09 AM »
Wing and tail feathers are pretty good as is, the lead-out attachment at the bell crank has led to some failures.
It is recommended to replace the crimped leadouts, bush the holes in the belcrank with copper tubing and use the standard AMA wrap to secure the leadouts at the bellcrank and make the terminations at the wintip.

As you noted the fuse is knd of weak. Well known for breaking off at the end of the engine mount bearers / wing leading edge. The engine mount bearers are short, thin and not maple  - I've had several split on me.

You can make new fuse from balsa sheet like the original kit in an hour or so using the ARF one for a template. Put some real maple engine mount bearers that extend back farther and some good quality birch ply doublers - then you can hang any of your .20-.36 size motors on it and fly the pants off it.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:23:32 PM »
make a new pushrod, the stock won will flex like crazy.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »
Did you leave the fair lead out/off?   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here