News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:44:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing Rabe rudder on ARF Nobler  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Installing Rabe rudder on ARF Nobler
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:57:09 AM »
Thought it might be a good idea to retrofit my ARF Nobler with a Rabe Rudder. Mainly because it's going to be powered with a ST 46 and be swinging a large prop. If you haven't seen a Rabe Rudder Al Rabe came up with the idea way back when and has published several articles explaining what it does and how to set one up. Basically it counter acts the gyroscope effects of the prop in hard turns. Discovered installing a Rabe Rudder on a Nobler wasn't as straight forward as I first thought. The rudder is really too close to the elevator and you don't have allot of room between the elevator and rudder to work with.

Al says the elevator horn pivot should be on a 45 deg angle. I started by drawing 45 deg lines on a piece of paper and taping it to the fuselage side so I could draw a line on the elevator horn at a 45 deg angle from the hinge line. (Photo #1). I then drilled a couple holes along the line I drew on the horn and tapped them for a 2-56 screw so I could use a ball link at the elevator horn.

At first I was trying to use the real rudder to experiment with different control horns and linkages by taping a control horn to the rudder. This proved to be an exercise in frustration and almost gave up thinking it was impossible to make a Rabe Rudder work on this airplane. The rudder hinge line was just too close to the elevator hinge line and I didn't have enough room between the inside of the elevator and rudder for a control horn long enough to provide the desired rudder movement.

After sleeping on the problem, decided not to give up and made a sacrificial rudder from scrap balsa and started poking holes. After several tries finally found a combination I thought would work. Persistence pays off, as you can see in photo #2 my temporary rudder looked like swiss cheese before I finally settled on a control horn, linkage and location that would provide the proper rudder movement.

3rd photo is a test fit with actual rudder but still using the copper wire linkage from my test setup. Final photo is the actual linkage I will use. Will need to trim about 1/8 inch off the inside rear corner of the elevator to clear the quick link and put a couple washers on the inside of the ball link to space it further out from the control horn.

My reference was from a that Al Rabe posted on Stuka Stunt several years ago I saved to my hard drive. If I thought I could find the thread I would post a link but..........

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
Re: Installing Rabe rudder on ARF Nobler
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
Nice idea!!
Tell us how it works, when you fly it, please.
Regards.
Manuel.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
Bob, i am going to try it on my ARF Strega. With a 14x5 prop i think it will it. n~ Ron.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »
The Strega will be allot easier, Wendy designed it for a Rabe Rudder from the get-go...

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
Is this just a guess.....Or do you have experience with this setup and you know from passed experience that a Rabe Rudder is required. What is your definition of a large prop. I flew all my ST46's with 11 in. props. Be interesting to see how much better your Nobler flys than everyone else's.....Just trying to learn from those of you with more experience etc. Keep up the good work!!!
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »
Windy is a fan of them....they usually require making the rudder larger....I know that he enlarged to rudder on the Strega ARF....and used lighter wood as well.
A true Rabe rudder adds a little in thrust when up is applied...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »
Greg, you could call it an educated guess. The Rabe Rudder is just a trim device I feel this airplane will benefit from. This is based on having a similar sized and powered stunt ship I was never able to trim so it would turn flat. Al told me a wiggle rudder would fix it but it's configuration makes installing one impossible so have just lived with the problem and compensated by flying soft corners.

Until I get it in the air and start the trim process I don't know if it will help or if it's even needed on this particular airplane. Thought it worth a shot just in case and will report back after I get it in the air...

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:15:31 AM »
My understanding of the Rabe Rudder is the variable rudder will counter act the gyroscopic precession caused by the rotating mass we call the propeller.  Please don't ask be to explain Gyroscopic precession, I completely lack the physics knowledge to explain it. 

The amount of force generated by the gyroscopic precession is really not a function of the diameter of the prop but the mass of the prop.  That is to say an 11 inch wood prop might have less mass than an 11 inch composite prop or vice versa. 

Anyway the rudder is only need in the pitch down motion.  In pitch up the gyroscopic precession will tend to yaw the plane to the right, which in our counter clock wise flying is a good thing.  But when the plane pitches down the yaw will be to the left, as in toward the pilot.  This is where you want the right rudder to kick in, and is the reason for all the asymmetrical control linkage the Rabe Rudder requires.  Again a Nobler with a .35 using a light prop probably won't benefit much from a Rabe Rudder.  On the other hand a large plane with a big motor swinging a heavy prop could benefit quite a bit. 

I also seem to remember Mr. Rabe saying that the final rudder deflection can only be determined by flying and observing how much counter yaw is required from the rudder.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here