News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Impact ARC is available  (Read 1809 times)

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
Impact ARC is available
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »
The new Impact ARC from Ultra Hobby Products is in and
ready for shipping. I have inspected some of the kits and
they are top quality; I am quite satisfied with how they
turned out.

I weighed each component of the kit and came up with a
total weight of 34.2 oz, or 971 grams; this includes the
hardware, wheels, landing gear, etc. Without all the hardware
the total weight is 29.3 oz, or 829 grams. This is comparable
to what the prototype weighed and it came out finished
at 59 oz with a Discovery Retro 60 for power.

Contact us at: ultrahobby@cs.com for complete info.

Thanks, Steve

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
Re: Impact ARC is available
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
WELL DONE!  :)

Thank you Steve for such a great ARC. Mine arrived yesterday. It was triple boxed and made it unscathed all the way to the left coast.

It is amazingly light and all the wood looks very good. It even has different densities of wood in all the right places.

It would be very difficult for the average builder to come close to building one this light, straight, and strong. It would take a master builder like Frank or Brett to surpass this planes construction, and I think even they would be impressed with your ARC.

When I return home from my other hobby I will take some close up photos to post here, along with some weight info. The workmanship is excellent.

Thanks again Steve for all your hard work on our behalf. You, Randy and Brad have given CLPA pilots great products to compete with!  :)

Regards,  H^^ 
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »
Thanks Rudy, it's always nice to hear some accolades.

Steve

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:51:35 AM »
Hi Steve,

I have even better news for you. I weighed each and every  component of the plane tonight on a very accurate digital scale.

My total came to 34.4 oz The best part for you is that this included all the heavy protective plastic that each part came wrapped in! I wanted to simulate the MonoKote covering. The MonoKote will be much lighter than the plastic all the parts were wrapped in so the plane should come out as good or better than your prototype. :-)

Here are the individual weights in case anyone wants to compare them to their plane of similar size:

Inside WING with LO and BC  =  8.1  oz.
Outside WING                      =  6.1
Wheels and all HW               =  4.6
EL and Stab                         =  2.9
Both Wheel Pants (wood)       =   .8
Fuselage with RD & cowl        =11.9
   TOTAL                             = 34.4    (this includes all the heavy plastic wrapping of each part)
Est Total E power                 = 33       (this includes  powerful Plentenberg motor, 5S bat, all wires, safety devises, etc. ) Please remember to include your  fuel wt. and 2 oz for your metal tank, plus your pipe wt., when you compare this to your wet power system.
Est Total TO wt.                   = 67.4 oz (Wing loading = 13.87 oz/sq. ft. ) This will be great for many, but too light for my tastes. See below.

Because this would be too light for my style of flying  n~, I will add longer heavy duty LG with 2.75" wheels, and make it a take-apart. This will add an est. 4 oz. This will make it T.O. and Land better at my rough grass field and allow me to put it on the airlines to distant meets. And at 71 oz. (14.69 oz/sq. ft. wing loading) it will be perfect for me.

BTW: my ARF P-40 (E powered) with tall heavy duty LG and large wheels weighs 59 oz (wing loading 15.17 oz/sq. ft. ) and it flies great in both calm air and in the turbulent wind we have here at the Beach!  So your E powered ARC with a still light weight wing loading of only 14.69, with a REALLY thick airfoil, and better Reynolds numbers should still fly like a dream!

ARC NOTES:

1. The 4" BC is REALLY thick but has nice cutouts for lightness. It looks strong enough for a 100 lb. pull test! ;-)
2. The crimped LOs look better than most ARC/ARFs. They look like they were done with an almost rounded tool (not the wire cutter look of some others ;-) I think I will use them.
3. The ball links look 4-40 size with modern style inserts (not titanium like we normally use, but still very nice ;-), Pls. use ONLY J-B Weld on these into the CF rods provided.
4. 2" light weight wheels included.
5. Very nice LG wire. It seems stronger than the normal soft ARC/ARF LG we see in other planes. (For our E power 13" and 14" props I will need to make a longer LG. This is not hard to do. I use 5/32 MW and it seems to work well and it is easy to do with my large K&S wire bender.
6. The FG cowl is beautiful. It is very light but with nice end pieces fore and aft it is very stiff and does not flex. It is smooth and is already in a white gell coat. It is a perfect fit fore and aft. In the middle there is a small (1/64") gap from the fuselage. For those that are AR, it may take a little filler to make it absolutely perfect! ;-)   
7. The BC mounting is very nicely done and looks bullet proof.
8. The ply doublers go from the nose ring all the way back to about 3/4" behind the TE of the wing point. The top of the fuselage also has a rounded carved block of balsa that looks about 1/2" thick. This looks like it helps make the fuselage really strong in this high stress area near the wing TE area.
9. The wing is very strong and stiff. I grabbed it at both ends and tried to give it a twist. It moves just a very little, but only when you get to the point that you fear your fingers will go through the balsa. I can't imagine any CL flying that would stress this wing!
10. The Flaps are straight, thick and more than stiff enough for me. If you need them to be like a CF canoe paddle then you may want to put a carbon vail over them.
11. The Stab and EL are sheeted, stiff and light.
12. All the hinge slots are neatly cut and ready for the strong looking Kelet style hinges.
13. The fuselage has all the huge lightning squares cut out of the sides just like the plans show on Paul's original plane. The aft fuse. is really light.
14 A nice touch is that the wingtips are sheeted all the way into the last one or two bays of the wing. This seems to add to the stiffness and will look good when covered.
15. Did I mention that this plane has a REALLY REALLY thick wing! Even with it's taper out to the wing tip, I think the wing tip thickness is still larger than a Nobler wing at the    root! ;-)
16. The welds (brazing?) on the control horns looks fine. It is done very neatly on BOTH sides of the upright. But only around approx. 50% of the wire on each side. The flap horn is the modern angled type. they both have nice bushings included along with the 2nd metal bushing that goes into the wing.
17. This ARC is beautifully sanded and for most of us it is ready for tissue or film covering as is. This will be good news for those who have allergies and/or are dust adverse in your house.

I can't think of any other details to add. The photos will come when I have it put together and ready to fly. :-)

This is a VERY nice ARC. I think anyone wanting a top of the line, competitive, AP legal CLPA plane that is almost ready for covering will be more than happy with this plane!  y1

I now have nine CL ARC/ARF planes. The last three are Brad's T-Rex, Randy's SV-11 and now Steve's/Paul's beautiful Impact. These last three are all a giant step forward for the world of CL ARC/ARF planes. I would say that if we could get John Brodak to send a quality MacMasters type crimping tool ($135) to the mfg. then we would really have CL ARC/ARF planes that are completely ready for prime time without any changes needed!  :)

I was involved in doing this in the RC world years ago so I know how much work goes into bringing these fine ARC/ARFs to market for us.  I appreciate all their hard work on our behalf. They have saved thousands of hours of building time for all of us who don't have the shop, and or the time to build, or those who have allergies, etc. Thanks Steve, and all the others, your products are worth every penny!  #^

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:56:54 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
Just ordered mine, can't wait to see it. I'm going back to the 80's and using a T&L Tigre 60 and paint.
Chris...

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi Chris, got your order. That should be a great combo!

Steve

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
Hi Steve,
I got your email. I saw the Retro you used and as little as I fly the 60 is just too easy.
Chris...

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
Hi Chris,

If it's good enough for the World Champion it should be good enough for the rest of us! :-)

Like Steve said, that should be a great combination. It will be interesting to see our Impacts flying together with different power systems. Let me know when you are going to fly yours and I will bring mine out to the WN field. ...... My guess is that they both will fly well.

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
Hey guys; Chris, Rudy, etc. I'd love to see some pics of these planes
when y'all get them done. We've got a page on our website for customer
projects and I'd love to get some Impact photos on there. If you'd like
to see yours on there send me some pics to: ultrahobby@cs.com.

Chris: Yep, the DR 60/Impact is a sweet combo. It's easy to fly with a
smooth delivery of power and the Impact just glides along with that baby
up front. a sweet running ST60 should be similar.

Later, Steve

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
Hi Chris,

If it's good enough for the World Champion it should be good enough for the rest of us! :-)

Like Steve said, that should be a great combination. It will be interesting to see our Impacts flying together with different power systems. Let me know when you are going to fly yours and I will bring mine out to the WN field. ...... My guess is that they both will fly well.

Regards,  H^^

Hi Rudy,
Mine will be based in St. Louis so it's close to Muncie. With all of my public complaining about the AMA site and it's location, I figured that having a model close would be one way to solve the problem of getting to the Nats. But then your take-apart idea cropped up and looks so easy with the sports tube that perhaps I can broaden the horizons a bit more. Tom just sent me a new T&L 60 so I'm all set to go forth this fall and winter on it. I also finishing a Lanier 25% Laser with a 1.08 in the crash pad for an Classic TOC event added to the Chicago Classic Pattern contest next year. It'll keep me out of trouble, all of these projects.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here