News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:11:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to strip plastic covering?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How to strip plastic covering?
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
I have lots of experience applying plastic film coverings but not the reverse. What is the best way to remove the film and hopefully the adhesive with it? I am guessing a heat source, but how much? Hair dryer? Heat gun? Flamethrower? I will be stripping a new Score so it is probably ChinaKote. For adhesive that remains on the surface, how best to remove that?

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: How to strip plastic covering?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
Find a loose edge and pull.  Anywhere color/adhesive remains, sand it off with 100 grit.  Heating it doesn't seem to have much effect.  Acetone can be used to remove any spots that stay stuck.  The TF arf's I've stripped shed their kote very easily without much sanding. 

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »
Mike,

I have used the heat gun (the one I use for shrinking covering) to help convince the adhesive to release the wood........still leaves color/adhesive in some areas.  Light sanding usually gets the stubborn stuff.

In my experience, acetone dissolves the color/adhesive well enough but it then soaks into the balsa and leaves stains that are tuff to remove.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:05:32 AM »
Use a heat gun, it will come off clean.. Pull it off cold and you will have a mess..

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:23:33 AM »
Do what Bob says and clean up the airframe like Jim says.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
I think it is a big function of the covering and the state if it too. For example, removing the covering from a Vector Arf directly from the box was really easy (using a heat gun), almost no residue left on it. However removing the covering from a Nobler Arf after shrinking it down was not so easy, The Monocote left patches of color/adhesive and as someone noted, it was impossible to remove all the color (I also used acetone to wipe most of the gunky stuff off). I also think Monocote, as a rule is tougher to remove.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
Thanks guys. The model is fresh-out-of-the-box new, no application of heat to the covering. I bought it with the intention of stripping it. The plan is to build it as a glued-together model, balsa cowl, fuse-mounted carbon gear, painted finish. Will not look much like a Score when finished but the aerodynamics will be the same.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here