News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Get one while you can  (Read 3688 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Get one while you can
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:11:49 AM by mike londke »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
Re: Get one while you can
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
That seller is a member of our Stunthangar community. And yes, that’s how he does his pushrods.
I’m interested to see if he raises his hand.  D>K
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
That seller is a member of our Stunthangar community. And yes, that’s how he does his pushrods.
I’m interested to see if he raises his hand.  D>K
Don't get me wrong I'm all for Capitalism and making a buck but the price and shipping seems excessive for a Ringmaster.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »
Don't get me wrong I'm all for Capitalism and making a buck but the price and shipping seems excessive for a Ringmaster.
Hi Mike!  Just to state, I am the one who builds and offers these and other models to the community.  Each one is hand cut, sanded, fitted and assembled to the best of my ability.  I don't have either a laser or router shaping the parts for me.  I refuse to sell one that I'd be ashamed to "show in the bones" or fly myself.  That's just me, I can't speak for the practices of anyone else.

Honestly, I'm sorry you feel the price is too high but I'm offering the Ringmaster models at what I believe is a fair price.  I just sold one to a fellow in South Florida the other day for the $80 bid price but he picked it up which saved the shipping.  Both my wife and I met him at our local I-Hop and had a very pleasant visit.  I just received my latest shipment of balsa and as a result the basic price of my assembled models will be going up.

The problem I face is the shipping.  I don't have and cannot afford a "commercial account" like Amazon or Horizon.  I don't build and ship that many planes on a monthly basis.  For some recent examples, there have been models I've built and sold that shipped from here in Florida such as a Sig Banshee to Washington State, a Brodak Bearcat carrier plane New Mexico, Perkys to Las Vegas, a Ringmaster to North Dakota, a Ringmaster to Wisconsin, a Sig Kadet to Louisiana and so forth and in each case the models are packed by the company I listed in the posting then I take them to the Greyhound terminal where they are shipped, insured.

As you can imagine the shipping to these locations varies but from experience the packing and shipping generally ranges from $100-120.  These are costs over which I have no control as I'm sure you would agree.  Nevertheless, as posted, I've always refunded any excess funds paid for the shipping and handling.  Once, just once that I remember, I was truly surprised and pleased when the customer returned the excess plus a tip that had been refunded.

Well, I truly hope this clarifies the pricing and shipping.  Believe me, if I could ensure lower those costs I would but I'm at a bit of a loss.  Nevertheless, I do offer free pickup! ;D 

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
Hi Mike!  Just to state, I am the one who builds and offers these and other models to the community.  Each one is hand cut, sanded, fitted and assembled to the best of my ability.  I don't have either a laser or router shaping the parts for me.  I refuse to sell one that I'd be ashamed to "show in the bones" or fly myself.  That's just me, I can't speak for the practices of anyone else.

Honestly, I'm sorry you feel the price is too high but I'm offering the Ringmaster models at what I believe is a fair price.  I just sold one to a fellow in South Florida the other day for the $80 bid price but he picked it up which saved the shipping.  Both my wife and I met him at our local I-Hop and had a very pleasant visit.  I just received my latest shipment of balsa and as a result the basic price of my assembled models will be going up.

The problem I face is the shipping.  I don't have and cannot afford a "commercial account" like Amazon or Horizon.  I don't build and ship that many planes on a monthly basis.  For some recent examples, there have been models I've built and sold that shipped from here in Florida such as a Sig Banshee to Washington State, a Brodak Bearcat carrier plane New Mexico, Perkys to Las Vegas, a Ringmaster to North Dakota, a Ringmaster to Wisconsin, a Sig Kadet to Louisiana and so forth and in each case the models are packed by the company I listed in the posting then I take them to the Greyhound terminal where they are shipped, insured.

As you can imagine the shipping to these locations varies but from experience the packing and shipping generally ranges from $100-120.  These are costs over which I have no control as I'm sure you would agree.  Nevertheless, as posted, I've always refunded any excess funds paid for the shipping and handling.  Once, just once that I remember, I was truly surprised and pleased when the customer returned the excess plus a tip that had been refunded.

Well, I truly hope this clarifies the pricing and shipping.  Believe me, if I could ensure lower those costs I would but I'm at a bit of a loss.  Nevertheless, I do offer free pickup! ;D
$80 with free pick up certainly is a bargain. I had no idea shipping costs were that high for you. I guess in today's marketplace and being accustomed to free shipping for most items, the high cost surprised me a little. Good luck with your venture.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »
$80 with free pick up certainly is a bargain. I had no idea shipping costs were that high for you. I guess in today's marketplace and being accustomed to free shipping for most items, the high cost surprised me a little. Good luck with your venture.
Thanks.  Yeah, There have been a number of times when just the shipping has been a "show stopper" on a special order.  Believe me, if I could afford it I would try to reduce packing and shipping but I know the folks who do the packing have done excellent work and have received a number of accolades for their thoroughness and as for Greyhound, well, with the exception of a package which I shipped to Dane Martin (on this site) a couple of years ago, I've never had a problem with their service.  In conclusion, thanks for the good wishes and the same to you and yours!  :)

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »

What models do you offer? I'm not that far away (Auburndale Florida) so a pick up would work for me.
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »

I am bothered because there's a guy on ebay that sells Sig kits on ebay for more than Sig does, charges more shipping  and they are still available at Sig. Just seems like dinging poeple needlessly. But I've been told it's all good. So it is. Lol.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »
What models do you offer? I'm not that far away (Auburndale Florida) so a pick up would work for me.
Hi Bruce!  Greetings!!  Yep, we're not too far from each other!  Sir, I may end up regretting answering this on the site but to be fair to you and any others who may read this thread, I felt I should reply publicly.  About me, well, although I'm 70,  I just love to build and I love to build for others as much as I do for myself.  Now I don't consider myself an expert, by any means, but I do build to the best of my ability and what I build has to meet my level of experience and my personal satisfaction.  Now, I have been blessed to be able to build from kits and to "scratch build"; that is to start with a set of plans and work to the finished model.  I embrace tackling new and different model aircraft however I will quickly admit, my skills using and working with fiberglass and carbon fiber is relatively limited due to my personal minimal use.  Aside from the kits, everything I've done to date has been hand fabricated as I do not have access to a laser cutter or such.  All I have is a bandsaw, coping saw, Dremel Moto Tool and a bunch of X-acto stuff  ;)!

So, to your question, what do I offer .... I'd say, whatever a person wants withing the limits of my experience.  Obviously some scale models take longer to fabricate and build based upon the expectations of the requester whereas finished models like the Voodoos, Sneekers, Flite Streaks and Ringmasters are relatively simple to fabricate and build.  Also, for those who want to assemble their own, I do my best to cut and fabricate kits for specific models sometimes with hardware, or not, based upon the needs of the requester.  In conclusion, if there is anything or any project that I may be able to assist you or anyone else with, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM and we can discuss the specifics.  As for pricing, it really depends on the project and the level of completion the requester expects.  Just know, for those whom I've had the pleasure to work with, I don't believe I've had anyone, ever, to be upset with me!  I hope this helps explain me and what I do.  Take care  ;D!!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:03:07 PM »
I am bothered because there's a guy on ebay that sells Sig kits on ebay for more than Sig does, charges more shipping  and they are still available at Sig. Just seems like dinging poeple needlessly. But I've been told it's all good. So it is. Lol.

There is the old saying: Buyer beware.  I seen numerous stuff on Ebay that are starting bids higher than what the item should sell for.   Ebay started out as an auction company for some of us to unload, get rid of or dispence with.   Yes there are people out there that don't know what they have or what they are getting. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here