News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FP 40 on Sig Primary Force ARF  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FP 40 on Sig Primary Force ARF
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:15:34 AM »
Sorting this plane out has been a trip. Due to the softness (I believe) of the ply doublers on the nose. It's been quite a process to keep the FP 40 from running away. A lap or two and a berserker run. This from an engine that had proved extremely reliable on a Twister I built up a few years past, one with five ply in the nose and maple motor mounts going back to the leading edge. Conventional thought would have been head gaskets, blocking the boost port, cutting the liner etc. etc. and a posting about the awful no good for stunt FP. Luckily a top twenty flier in our club recognized the issue for what it was, a vibration harmonics causing the fuel to bubble badly. He had tamed a problem like this on his Foxberg racer by putting 1/8" steel plates under the engine mounts. These plates extending 3/8" past the engine mount front and back. Also a plate on the back side of the profile allowed the mounting bolts to be cinched up tight. Doing this to the Primary Force has largely solved the run away problem. I still have to check the bolts and tighten before every flight. Perhaps an engine of less power (or a different FP40 for that matter) would not have caused this vibe trouble. The plane should work with a less powerful engine. Even when loafing rich the FP pulls the PF up and over, no problem. I did add another head gasket to soften the break (up to three now) but that's it.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: FP 40 on Sig Primary Force ARF
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:59 AM »
Several local guys are flying the P.F. with LA 40's and the B 40.  Most are having good results but there have been some issues with soft noses.  The addition of cheek pieces to the inboard side has helped one or two of them.

I am fighting (and not winning) the same battle with a Cardinal ARF/ST 51 combo.  My old Cardinal never had this problem, even after epoxying the nose back on twice.  Go figure.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 10:20:37 AM »
I made a cheekcowl out of some tough "Jerry Who" balsa to stiffen/damp out vibration on my Primary Force. I am runnning a Saito 40 and it never was running very well until I made this change--just before the Sig Contest. Now the engine performs quite well, so well I  can't blame my crummy flying on it! I'll try to take a photo of it.It sort of resembles the cheek cowl of the Pathfinderprofile, except I do overlap it on the wing to give some bracing.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »
Yep. I've a Cardinal doing the same thing. An equal opportunity vibrator, so far it's done the runaway thing with two fp40s, and an LA46. Also a slew of different hard and soft tanks. When I get around to it, I'll reinforce the nose and try again. There a re a slew of Cardinals flying real well in my club. LA46s usually used for power. On mine the LA46 didn't help. I lent the engine to a friend who's using it on a P40 ARF. Runs great there. Perhaps I carved away too much of the cheek cowl when I mounted the engine with through bolts instead of using the aluminum clamp.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »
For what it's worth, I had a  similar problem on my 3 year old P40 ARF. When I first built it, I mounted a Brodak 40 swinging an APC 10.5-4.5 prop and the plane was just a dream to fly. Then at the Sig contest that year, the Brodak engine mounting system came loose during my flight. Turned out it was the insert threads pulling out. I tried to fix it but finally gave up. I think I sort of gave up CL the rest of that year and last year (year 2) I spent most of my time fighting the afore-mentioned Primary Force engine run.

Well this year I pulled out the P40, installed blind nuts and remounted the B40. Ran like crap! Never the same twice. Changed tanks etc but no good. Finally I mounted a LA46 with hopes that it would be better, but no, same problem--inconsistent runs with a 11-4 prop. Finally realized that I was probably seeing a resonance in the front end at those rpms (10k-11k range) in both the B40 and LA46. Changed the prop to a Rev-UP 12-5, rpm's dropped, engine runs a lot better--needle range significantly larger.

So I asked what happend between year 1 with good runs with the  B40 and the start of year 3 with crappy runs. My only answer is that the original Brodak clamp mounts must have actually added a little stiffening to the front end of the P40. Recall they are reasonable long as compared to the bolt holes on a standard engine (even with pads). The  P40 already has a reasonable doubler/tripler on it, so I am not sure how to stiffen that up.

I think that what I see is that a profile front end is a little of a crap shoot.  HB~> Unfortunately I have been on the losing end of that now for some time!

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
Seems a shame that a $127 ARF control line plane should be the source of so many problems.  I've built and flown many Sig kit planes, RC and CL, and they've all been excellent, albeit the excellence of the pilot is another story.  I've been tempted to try on of their RC ARF's (4*40), but I think I'll stick with the kits.  Building is more fun, anyway.  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »
To remove the resonance problem you need to add lateral stiffness to the nose ahead of the wing.  The easiest way is to mount a "cheek cowl", inboard, attached to the doubler and the wing.  A simple triangular web of plywood would do it but a "cheek cowl" looks a lot better.  I think there were pics of a cheek added to a PF recently, but I don't remember the thread.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »
Glen,
Should mention that this (resonance) also happens on profile kits (Skyrays for instanace)! It really depends a lot on the actual materials used and the design plus the rpm that you run the engine at. Lots of places to screw up!

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »
I have been dealing with the "bad vibes" issue on my most recent Cardinal ARF with ST 51 (actually 3 different ST 51's and 3 different tanks; different props, spinners--and anything else I could think of).  I have replaced the "exotic asian hardwood" beams with maple beams (maybe too short) without much/any improvment.  Anybody want a Cardinal cheap??  This is a good place for this  HB~>!

My old, crashed/bashed/trashed three times Cardinal ARF with ST 51 just keeps flying right along, nice as you please, with nice, steady runs.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:23:34 PM »
I had a Cardinal ARF powered by a .40fp. One belly womp landing sheered off both wings and cracked the nose. I deemed it not WORTH reparing. I don't think most ARFs are Worth reparing or purchasing. Even my lowley Twister, kit Oriental both profile and full body, Barnstormer, Accentor, Tanager and a few others, would have survived that landing on the grass with very minor damageand and have done so.
The Mike Pratts Primary Force kit is the way to go.
By the way Mike flew his original Primary Force with a OS.25LA. I saw it fly very well.
My friend who flies R/C flew his new Hellcat ARF, on every landing something goes wrong with the retracts. One retract failure caused the nose cowling area to break apart. When he saw what was inside the plane he was very disappointed.
Ya gets what ya pays for.
Unless you modify and rebuild what the Red Hord produces, stuff is gonna happen.

Never More or again for this kid with ARFs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:37:38 PM by Jerry Bohn »
Jerry Bohn

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »
Seems lots of engine runaways blamed on engine set up or engine type are a function of bad vibes. First advice of many (not members of my club, since we've seen many FP40s doing effective stunt duty) was dump the engine. When issues with the PF nose were sorted out a few had a chagrined and mystified look watching my Force run dead rich lap after lap. A setting sufficient to power the plane in mild conditions. My Galaxy stated to act up big time in June (just in time for Brodak, ouch!) exhibiting what appeared to be classic FP40 runaway. Plug change helped some. But it was still weird. Finally we located a hard to see leak in the hopper tank. Leak down was initially slow enough to not be obvious when pressurized while mounted. After pulling the tank, filling, etc. the drips showed up. Dunking tank, looking for air bubbles, uncovered the hopper seam that had sprung a leak after two years of steady flying. Fix took a few minutes. Engine runs predictably now.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 07:54:01 PM »
I build all of my profile noses with the following "sandwich". Not to say that this is a "perfect" method, but it has worked for me on at least 4 nice profiles. No vibrations. None.

From the out board side: a doubler of Frank Tiano's 3 mm "Mighty Lite" plywood. (Not Lite ply!) A 1/2" light (but stiff) fuselage with Maple bearers back to at least the Leading edge. Then a tripler of 1/2 " Balsa back to the midpoint of the wing. I'll hollow this tripler from the spinner ring back to about 1" from the leading edge. The LE to the midpoint of the wing is solid wood. The entire nose is epoxied with 30 min. epoxy. Note there is only one layer of plywood in this mix which helps to keep things light. The "T" nuts for the engine bolts and tank mounts are buried under the tripler. This keeps the nose clean and pretty!

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »
What's that plywood?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 06:19:30 AM »
HI Ward,

I'm with you.  Nose construction on a profile is critical, even with the new smooth running engines!  I will give up a touch of weight penalty for a solid, sound nose.  Just like on a full fuselage stunter.  Too many other things to worry about besides an engine run!

BTW: you build very good, high quality, models!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 05:44:46 AM »
Update on my softnose PF: We tamed the run doing various strategies mentioned above. A wood Zinger 11x5 also helped. Good, good enough, but not great. The FPs tried until then were cast iron piston engines, veterans, who ran fat and happy on other planes. Functional here, but not sweet. On a whim we switched out the cast iron engine and mounted an aluminum piston FP that spent a season powering a P40 ARF. This engine proved a gem. In the PF level flight is a nasty burble switching back and forth between 4x2 or 2x2. Definitely a classy stunt sound. When doing the tricks the engine powers up quick. The sharp crackling music of a good running stunt FP40. Even the sardonic and funny Peabody locked me in his sights and sputtered a compliment. Current performance of the PF/FP40 combo is a thrill. This winter (perhaps sooner) I'll do the laser kit and toughen up the front. Sig lists the ARF PF wing as available separately. Also an intriguing option. Easy enough to fabricate a fuse (with an improved front end, made of KNOWN materials) and a tail.

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 12:16:17 PM »
Don,

The thread you are looking for is in this forum with a date of 13 May. It has a picture of my P-Force with a cheek cowl that Mike Pratt did.

Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
This is an inresting thread; I've read many times onthe internet that only Fox .35's wouldn't run on profiles.

Evidently other engines have the same problem.

De Hill
De Hill

steven yampolsky

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 08:34:56 AM »
I've launched for many fliers. Beginner through experts. What amazes me is how many people do not balance their props!

Profiles are not as rigid as full fuse models so balancing of a prop should be almost like a religion. Balance always, balance often. Re-check balance of a prop at least two-three times a season! You'll be reqarded with trouble-free engine performance.

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »
This is an inresting thread; I've read many times onthe internet that only Fox .35's wouldn't run on profiles.

Evidently other engines have the same problem.

De Hill

Dee,
Not really sure where this comes from but a Fox .35 does run really well on any profile that I have ever built.  The burp that many talk about has not been an issue although vibration can be a problem at times.  Anyone with any make engine can have problems if not properly set up.

Later,
Mikey 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here