News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine mounts ARF Oriental  (Read 1572 times)

Offline DanielGelinas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Engine mounts ARF Oriental
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just bought an arf oriental.

Two questions:

1- How does one drill the motor mounts on the arf? This is easy on the profile arf's but what about a built up fuselage?

2- Will the OS LA .40 be strong enough for this plane or am I better off with the LA .46?

Thanks!

-Danny

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Engine mounts ARF Oriental
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
      Daniel, I fly my arf Oriental with a LA.40. Remember, the plane was designed to be flown with a Fox .35 originally. I'm powering my kit built with the Fox.35. It flies terrific with both engines. The LA.40 is hardly even using it's full potential. It does suffer a problem with fuel usage. I haven't experimented yet , but my .40 is taking almost 5 oz.s to complete the pattern. I've noticed the guys in our club that are using the .46 use considerably less fuel. I may just switch to the smaller .25 venturi and give it a try. In order to drill my mounts, I used blocks approx 2" wide by 3 1/2" tall to block the fuse off of the drill press table. My blocks were 1" thick so I was able to easily square the fuse to the table. A helping hand makes it real easy as well. I'm using the APC 10.5x4.5 prop on the .40 and letting it run in its happy rpm range. The Oriental kit including the arf were designed for the lighter Fox. This means your probably going to have to add approx 2-2.5 oz's of tail weight for the .40 or .46. Switching to a tongue muffler will lose some front end weight as well. I also suggest putting triangle stock inside the fuse were the gear bolts on. It doesn't take long to rip off the fuse bottom with the gear still attached to it. Ken

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »
Hi Ken,

I have a fox .35 I can put in the oriental. I'm a little worried about the power though. It does seem like a BIG plane. Do you know anyone running one with the stock fox .35 with good results?
Also, could you explain  in more detail how you add triangle stock inside the fuselage? Do I have to tear it open? I may understand better when I get the arf y1

I purchased the 4 ounce uniflow tank that Brodack recomends on their websight. Would I be better off with a 5 ounce tank if I chose the .40 LA? Do you have any recomentations for such a tank?

Thanks for any info you can offer. I'm really looking forwand to getting this plane as I have crashed my super clown yesterday. Broken fuselage... HB~>
I will try repairing it to have an extra backup.

Regards,
 H^^ H^^
-Danny

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »
Ken,

I was worried about the fox .35 in the ARF version of the oriental. I'm assuming ??? ??? that it is heavier than the kit built version?

Regards,

-d

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »
I had a Fox 35ABC in mine and I swaped it out. It simply didn't have the right stuff for this model.
dennis

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »
I've had a couple of the ARF version and have another in the build que. I flew mine with an OS .35FP-S, and they flew well with it running in a wet 2-stroke, that leans out a tad when nose pointed up.

I used a tounge muffler, and lighweight wheels- still had to add weight to the tail.

I like this plane / engine combo - flies well on .015 X 58-60" lines.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
Mine is hanging on the hook.   Removed the Fox .35 Stunt to put in my old time plane.  The downfall to mine was the wing to fuselage joint.  Yes I removed the cheapo covering to epoxy the joints together.  Also the cheapo hardware for the controls was something I should have trashed also.  The plane flew great  for about a dozen flights with no trim adjustments to it.  Then at a contest it started acting squirally.  Found the wing was loose.  When I got home I took it apart and added wood to inside edges of fuse for gluing surface.  Also removed the cheapo covering and recovered.   Was flying again like it first started.  But, then controls started giving me fits.  I for got to check them while I had it apart.  The flap pushrod had worn out the flap horn as well as the rod to the elevator.  Replaced both with ball links and got it all set up again.  It hangs on the hook as it started life as an ARF and was recovered later after about 30+ flights.  If I would do it again, I would use the LA 46 as it is a much easier engine to work with.  My 46 only uses about 4.5 ounces of fuel.  The LA 40's I have only use about 1.25 ounces of 10% fuel.  In fact 10% fuel is all I use, Excaliber Fuels out of Arizona.  Well keep us posted and glad someone toldhow they drill the mounts.  I just eyeball mine while drilling.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
          Daniel, I would go for the LA.40 in the arf.  As for the triangle stock, you can access this through the tank compartment prior to installing the tank. There is no need to rip anything open. I suggest using bolts rather than screws to hold the gear on. As John states the covering is an issue on these and will come loose and eventually blow off. I addressed this early on by applying small strips of clear over the leading edge for example. I used a 1 " piece of covering the whole way. I had to do this around flap areas as well. I used all pin hinges on mine. You will find what appears to be a slit the whole way down the flaps as well for easy installation of the ca hinges they provided. I wouldn't use those and I would seal that covering real well prior to gluing on the flap horn. It's a heck of a lot easier to iron on strips around the flap now rather than on the model. I see some of us don't prefer the Fox.35 as some claim it's not powerful enough. I was just stating that's how Dee Rice designed the plane to be powered with which is why I did the same. I don't regret it as my plane has brought me 3 first places in Intermediate last year using the Fox.35. The Brodak .40 is an excellent choice for its weight , power. Bill though has stated above that he used the OS35S. A fellow club member uses the OS 35S in his and it flies tremendously. I wish I had that engine in mine. My point of using the Fox was merely based on the cg as well. The plane was designed for an engine weighing in the 7.5 oz. category. If you decide to use others your going to have to balance it accordingly. The arf uses a 4" bellcrank. THIS MAKES FOR SLOW CONTROLS. I've seen even experienced flyers take this arf out and almost plant it on the first flight. To compensate for this they were using the wide spaced Hot Rock handle. I dug back into the plane and moved the pushrods closer to the center of pivot and higher on the control horn. I personally didn't care for the slowness. Others love it, but not me. I just wouldn't suggest using an engine that puts out a lot of castor oil residue such as the Fox or OS 35S due to the covering on these models. I've had the entire wing panel of coat come off on the Oriental due to the covering getting oil soaked and releasing.  I truly feel out of all the arf's I've built the Oriental gets the biggest thumbs up in my book. I have about 150 flights on mine with the LA.40 in it. My son used the plane for several years and now I have it. In addition to the tank you purchased. I had trouble making the pattern with 4 oz.s of fuel in mine. I had to lean the engine more than I liked and this makes for fast flying which makes the maneuvers hard to do.  In order to slow the plane I had to now go to longer lines to slow the plane with the leaned out needle setting. I should've just changed the tank which was eventually what I did. The good thing is, changing the tank out is very easily done in this plane. My La.40's, and I own three all use more fuel than any other LA.46 in our club. This may very well be a venturi size issue. The fellows in New York use Bru Line air filters which restrict the venturi which in turn makes you have to lean the engine for more power. This gives them not only the power they needed,  but the economy as well. I never tried their method. I went to a larger tank. I now use a 4.5 uniflow. I think were all aware of the fact that there's been all kind of different size venturi's made available from OS. It may very well be possible mine is too large. I haven't measured it so I can't comment on what is in the engine. You may also be at a different altitude as myself.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:17:35 PM by kenneth cook »

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanks Ken!
As always...Great information in your reply's! H^^ H^^
-Danny

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!!
 H^^
-danny

Offline Neil Rogers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
I've had two ARF Orientals.  The first one used an LA 40 and needed a ton of tail weight to balance.  I never thought that combination flew very well.

The second one was purchased as a test bed for a Brodak 40 because I didn't want to go to the effort of building a real airplane to see if I liked the engine.  With the Brodak engine and a tongue muffler it balanced perfectly with no added weight.  I use an 11x5 APC prop and 10% fuel.  This whole combination has turned out to be almost perfect.  This isn't much of a surprise since the model was designed around a Fox 35 and the Brodak weighs the same and probably makes similar power.  The advantage of the Brodak over a Fox is the ability to use modern fuel and it is a lot less finicky than a Fox.

Neil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here