News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Choices for new Vector 40 ARF  (Read 3329 times)

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Engine Choices for new Vector 40 ARF
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:53:49 AM »
So my current choices are:

Brodak 40
OS 35 AX by Randy
The venerable OS LA 46 (BB by Randy)
PA Fox 35 Hi Zoot by Randy
Evolution 36 (front NVA)

Based on power requirements and weight and balance issues, what sage advice can I obtain from the hive mind of Stunthanger?
Retired Army

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Choices for new Vector 40 ARF
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »
So my current choices are:

Brodak 40
OS 35 AX by Randy
The venerable OS LA 46 (BB by Randy)
PA Fox 35 Hi Zoot by Randy
Evolution 36 (front NVA)

Based on power requirements and weight and balance issues, what sage advice can I obtain from the hive mind of Stunthanger?

I would give the AX .35 by Randy a try. it's a smallish case and will make for easier installation and plumbing. I've been considering one of those for my stash  since I read that they are the same basic size as the OS.32 and with Randy's touches should work very well. Next would be the Brodak .40 and if it is getting heavy the LA.46 properly set up for the weight. Save the Randy Hi Zoot Fox for a proper old time or classic airplane.  I'm not a fan of the Evo.36 and would trade/sell it for something else like the others.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
  Ty
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
Had a Brodak 40 in the vector I had a few years ago. Great combo.
Duck

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:59:33 AM »
I would say Brodak 40.

While I've seen several ARF Vectors flown with the LA 46, I think the nose is too short.

To get a good fit between the nose cone and the spinner, you have to use a spinner with a cup back like the Dubro part because, with the engine hard up on the firewall the FP 35/40 and LA 40/46 crank protrudes.

I decided I wanted to use Brodak spinners and had to add a 1/8" spacer ring to get the fit right after I had already drilled the mounts for the FP 40.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
Well I put an LA .46 in mine and it is the best PA ship I've ever had! I have installed a 4.5 oz. metal tank in it and have to draw out about 1/2 oz. for a full pattern! I am flying it on 61' lines eyelet to eyelet and it does a truly fine job! I have had some cooling problems and am now running 7.5% nitro with 11% and 11% oil of synthetic and Castor oils. If this keeps up I think I'll install a 4.0 oz, tank and forget the draw down!

So far I have less than 20 flights total on this plane. Its one of the original shipments and so the film is not the most reliable but it flies great!

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
Hi Phil,
Hands down the OS AX .35 by Randy would be a killer combo.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
Hi Mikey, Many thanks for the input! As of this date I don't have an AX OS of any size but the future may just include one of Randy's little gems!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 01:42:16 AM »
Interesting thread.

I have a second-hand Vector that came with an Evo 36. Had to rebuild the front end around the plastic R/C engine mount it had. Never did get it to run happy, either in 2-stroke or 4-stroke mode. I switched to a NIB Evo 36 and it was better, but still not good. Tried both the medium and small venturis with an OS .135 needle thru the throat. Tried a number of props, but there are always more of these to be tested....

The only other engine I could find that would drop into the plane was the OS 35AX. Still took some mods to the cowl because while the Evo plug is on a slant, the OS plug is not. Also, the muffler header was slightly larger. Both easy mods.

Initial tests suggest I need to open up the venturi some, as it is a bit short on pull going uphill into the wingover. It also needs more run time on it. But the engine is beautifully made, and I hope it develops into a capable power source for my Vector OPP.

So if you have both of these engines, try them both! Or, if you have an Evo 36 and have had good luck with it in the past (some seem to be naturally good runners. I just don't have one of those...) try that first. If that doesn't work out, then drop in the OS 35AX. And if you get one from Randy that has been dehorned and civilized, so much the better..

I should also note that on my particular airplane, which does not have a stock nose, I had to add tail weight for the Evo 36. When I swapped in the OS 35AX I had to add a bit more. The OS engine is a little over 1/2 oz. heavier than the Evo. I don't have a number in front of me, but I suspect the Brodak 40 is lighter than either one.

Be sure to let us know, because I may not have found a good combination before you get yours working. Hive mind, buddy....

Dave
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:16:16 AM by Dave Hull »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here