News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:11:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine choice for Brodak Oriental?  (Read 4868 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine choice for Brodak Oriental?
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
     Hello All:

Before I start building a Brodak Oriental, I would like to receive some feedback as to which engine may be the best choice from the following:

Fox 35 Stunt

OS 35 Stunt

Tom Lay OS-ST 40

OS 40 LA

HP 40

I am looking for adquate power, easy starting and smooth running as the primary objectives.  I think thatI listed the engines in order of increasing power and weight.  The weight ranges from almost 7 oz, for the Fox and 9.3 oz. for the HP. 

Suggestions/and or comments?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine choice for Brodak Oriental?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »
Frank - when I developed the Oriental ARF for John, I used a stock Fox 35 and it was perfect.
The  prototype came out nose-heavy with the Fox, a wooden Top-Flite 10-6 , a tongue muffler and a plastic spinner.
I had to add around 3/4 ounces of tailweight.
I don't know if the kit would build the same.
I would go with the Fox 35 or the Max-S 35.

Bob Z.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »
Hi all.

I have a Custom ABC Gardner OS 35 + tongue muffler  #^ waiting for my Oriental. After tested it power is considerably increased from stock unit (don´t have a Tom Lay unit to compare, BTW).
ABC PS and Gardner rod let the oil content to be drop considerably......

My two cents.

Kind regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
My option is Only traying the less balance weight, if not, for sure would try a LA 46 (Gardner ABC in my case but not obilgated)

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
My Smoothie works very happy with a Super Tigre 46. No balance weight needed.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »
Hi Frank,
All of the above would work fine.  It really comes down to what you like.  My preference would be the HP with the ball bearings, very nice running motor that last forever with std (20%) oil content.  Also, you can run a pipe on the HP if you want.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 06:08:26 AM »
Mikey I recently assembled my HP with those Gardener parts. Man, what a sweet running engine!!!

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
Mikey I recently assembled my HP with those Gardener parts. Man, what a sweet running engine!!!

Hi Skip,
I've got four of the BG sets, two for HP’s and two for 40 FP’s haven't Run them yet but they feel great.  As soon as it warms up (10 below last night) I'll run them.  Did you get a chance to tach them?  What RPM did you get?

Later,
Mikey

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »
     Hi Mikey:

The HP .40 with the Brian Gardner piston and cylinder turned 13,100 rpm on a wide wooden 10-6 prop.  The fuel was 20% synthetic oil and no nitro.  I have no idea if this is good or not. 

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:18 AM »
The  Oriental  tend  to be  nose heavy  with motors like  FP  ST 40  etc,  The  Fox  35   OS 35  or  Brodak 40 would  best  fit that engine, and  would  be  plenty  to fly the  plane

Randy

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 04:49:14 AM »
Hi Frank, I am very partial to the LA 40s. They start easy , run smooth. For best results use a tongue muffler not the stock os muffler, they cause a lot of back preasure.
also use an ST. or Randy needle valve.  MY 2 cents.

Rich

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
If yadoit for the Max 35 , youll get a few in , like the ST OS .

Ive done dual holes in a few , longer heavier motor further back .

I use 16 G steel & 1/8 NF nuts , soldered under & epoxied .
Tho 1/8 steel diilled & tapped'd be fine .

Offline Neil Rogers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
I had an ARF Oriental with an LA 40 in it and it needed 3 ounces of lead in the tail to balance.  It never flew that well.

A few years later I bought another ARF Oriental for the sole purpose of testing my new Brodak 40.  I can't imagine a better combination than that.  It was only meant to be a test airplane, but the package worked so well that I flew it for a number of years.  Stopped flying it when the covering wouldn't re-stick any more.

Brodak 40 is perfect for classic airplanes designed for a Fox 35.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 05:55:59 AM »
I'm not sure if they ever rewrote the wrong instructions....

The good flying Orientals I have paid attention to seem to have a 3/2 flap ration. 2 being flap movement and 3 the elevators.

Have fun!

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 04:59:17 AM »
I ended up with a Brodak Oriental kit  - sort of  a shaggy dog story - and on a whim built it.

Used a OS .35S on uniflow for 2-4. Came out way nose heavy even sans-muffler. I'd say if you build one use a 1/2 shaft extension and move the motor back. A friend I fly with did that to his, used a Fox and it seemed to work better. I had to add two 50 cal round balls to the tail to get mine to fly a decent square.

The plans show no rudder offset. Not good. Both of us who fly one have struggled with line tension issues and none of the myriad of trimming permutations have really fixed it. The only thing that seems to help is to fly it fast. I'm flying 60' from handle to spinner. Just over 5 seconds. I'm old-school and like to fly on the slow side.

The most successful thing I've done is to add the "Ward board" to the nose, copying John Ward's mod. That really helped stability in square corners.

It is THE most un-tolerant of wind or turbulence design I have ever flown. A little breeze is nice, but if it's dead calm it will sometime hit it's own turbulence on eights and waggle its wings, and you better be ready for it. I suspect that's because of the long, un-tapered wings.

If you build one cut the rudder vertically at the end of the fuse and add about 3/8" offset.  Better yet make it adjustable since you'll end up needing the extra weight in the tail anyway.

Now that all this has been said, it's an oddly fun plane to fly in that it will challenge you since you really need to fly the thing in an old-school manner. It's not a point-and-shoot airplane. You need to know when to whip it up, when to relax the pull, and when to "wait for it".

The .35S is ample power with a nice 2-4 break and that's one of the most fun setups to fly. You gotta trust it when you pull that wingover turn and down lines happen really fast! 

Chuck
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 05:16:13 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 05:56:04 AM »
I built an older Oriental kit this spring. Came out just under 50oz   LA .40 works great in it!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here