News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:16:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric ARF super clown for newbie?  (Read 130299 times)

Offline NeilMclean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Electric ARF super clown for newbie?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:03:22 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm a complete newbie other than helping my dad 35 years ago to launch his combat planes. After he passed away 3 years ago I promised myself I would do what I have always wanted to do and get into some CL flying (life is too short not to)

I've been reading and googling everything I can and I think I've come to the conclusion that electric is the way for me. After watching a video online by Shug Emery I immediately loved the look of the super clown. It seems bigger than the 1/2 A enough to make flying more involving, and small enough to be easier to learn with.

My main question is has anyone here had one of these and what do you think of them for a beginner?

ALL replies would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
Re: Electric ARF super clown for newbie?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »
Hi Neil,

The Brodak Electric ARF Super Clown is a great plane for a new CL flyer. You can buy the complete E setup from Brodak, or go to the excellent "Electric" site here on the SH forum. Look in the "airplane setups" at the top of the site. There you will see many setups for the Super Clown. The electric section here on SH has all the info. you need to get started flying ECL.

If you have a CL flyer in your area to help with the 1st "trim flight" and your 1st flight, you should have no problem flying CL.

If you do not have anyone to help you with your 1st flights, then you may want to start with the ARF Elec. Baby Clown flying over soft grass. Get the Super Clown too, and save it for your 2nd CL plane.  ;-)

I'm sure your dad is somewhere smiling while watching his son getting into CL flying. :-)

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:00:28 AM »
HI Rudy

Many thanks for the reply. It makes me feel a bit more confident about what I should do. I had planned to buy the complete set up from Brodak, mainly because my extensive googling has only managed to completely confuse me, so I thought it would be better to get a ready to use pack for the first time. Only problem is its not cheap when you're starting from scratch and I know I'll be petrified about wrecking the whole thing before I get the chance to enjoy it!

Luckily I have been put in touch locally with a VERY experienced CL guy who has been flying nationally and internationally since the 1950's and has been Irish and British champion a number of times. There is a tarmac and grass circle within 10 minutes of where I live and he has been giving me a lot of support so I'm hoping he will help me keep it in the air!! I actually met with him last night and had a weird experience. It turns out that he pitted for my dad in the late 70's when my dad won the Ulster combat comp. So it feels like my dad is trying to help out after all.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »
Hello Neil,

I have a Brodak electric Super Clown but I didn't buy the Brodak power package. I was already doing electric control line so I saved a bit of money putting together my own electric components. For you the whole package is probably the way to go The SC should make a fine plane to learn to fly. You will probably need an extra battery or two so that you are not limited to one or two flights before you need to charge the batteries.

After you cut your teeth on the Super Clown, you need to get a Brodak electric ARF Ringmaster (or you could just start out with one.- also a good trainer)!! That way you can fly next October in the 8th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon and represent Northern Ireland!

I'll attach file for the informational flyer that explains about the event.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
Neil, it is great you are getting to it, CL that is.  If you've seen Shug's video and need more info, just PM him.  I haven't met him yet except through the forum and he seems like a real character.   It is the little icon below your avatar that is a tiny square. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »
Hi John (Cralley).  Thanks very much for the input and the information on the Ringmaster. I will definitely be looking for the next model as soon as I have the first, I already know that, so I'll keep that one on my list. Unfortunately I'm not so sure about the flying weather in Belfast in October  :o

You made a good point about the batteries and I had already added an extra 2 in addition to the one in the pack from Brodak. And this, I guess, is where I'm becoming a little lost. When I buy my next model (a bit premature as I haven't even got my first yet), will I be able to use some or all of the electric bits and pieces there too? I understand that a bigger model will require a bigger motor and battery, but will all the other bits and pieces be interchangeable?

Hi John (E Holliday), that's a great idea! It was definitely his video (introduction to control line flying) that sold me on the Super Clown. I found his enthusiasm infectious and when he mentioned getting back into CL out of nostalgia re. his father it struck a cord with me. Oh, and he's also very funny. I've found myself watching a lot of his other videos too so I might just PM him, although I think the SC he flew in the video had an IC engine and not electric.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
Neil,

About using the same electric components in different models, you are correct that a larger model will probably need a larger motor. Other components may be able to serve dual purposes. The timer will work fine in different size models. The ESC maybe also switchable between planes providing it has sufficient capacity to handle the current drawn by a larger prop and motor. Actually there is little penalty for having an ESC that can handle higher loads in your smaller model (a bit more weight) but over loading your ESC will cost you money when it smokes (don't ask how I know)!

In practical terms, it's a lot easier to have dedicated components for each model. The exception being your batteries which could possibly be used in different planes providing the motor KV values of the motors are close. You would not be able to make as long a flight with the larger model.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:00:13 PM »
Hi John (Cralley).  Thanks very much for the input and the information on the Ringmaster. I will definitely be looking for the next model as soon as I have the first, I already know that, so I'll keep that one on my list. Unfortunately I'm not so sure about the flying weather in Belfast in October  :o

You made a good point about the batteries and I had already added an extra 2 in addition to the one in the pack from Brodak. And this, I guess, is where I'm becoming a little lost. When I buy my next model (a bit premature as I haven't even got my first yet), will I be able to use some or all of the electric bits and pieces there too? I understand that a bigger model will require a bigger motor and battery, but will all the other bits and pieces be interchangeable?

Hi John (E Holliday), that's a great idea! It was definitely his video (introduction to control line flying) that sold me on the Super Clown. I found his enthusiasm infectious and when he mentioned getting back into CL out of nostalgia re. his father it struck a cord with me. Oh, and he's also very funny. I've found myself watching a lot of his other videos too so I might just PM him, although I think the SC he flew in the video had an IC engine and not electric.
Hey there Neil,
Got my Electric Clown done today....now to fly soon. Using 55' lines to start. Set timer for max RPMs.
Whooooo Buddy and a Crunchie and Flake.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:00:54 PM »
More...
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »
Hi Shugs.
Im having a good old  LL~ At the crunchie and flake thing. Two of my favourites!!

Now that's a clown that I'd like to see fly! I'm hoping to get the silver one. Loved the look of it in your earlier video.

Did you use the Bridak power package or put together your own?

Keep flyin!!

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
Hi Shugs.
Im having a good old  LL~ At the crunchie and flake thing. Two of my favourites!!

Now that's a clown that I'd like to see fly! I'm hoping to get the silver one. Loved the look of it in your earlier video.

Did you use the Bridak power package or put together your own?

Keep flyin!!
I have the Brodak package.......test ran it this morn on bench. Rainy day. Seems strong. Set the RPMs different a few times.
 Still learning the whole CL electric thing so I found full packages the way to go.
Also have two RSM electric packages....plug and go....http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
Had a look on the RSM site and price wise Brodak seems quite similar. And I had the same thought that as I'm new to this the full package is probably the way to go for me. The guy I spoke to sent me the following e mail:

"The motor in this package is an in runner as far as I can make out.  The battery is very large at 3300 all be it a 3S rather than 4s.  THE Hubin time uses pots to set rpm and time and is very fiddley

For this size of model I would use the Emax 2815 at around 1000 KV with 4S zippy compact 2200s and a 10X5 or 10X6 APC e prop   A Renecle profile timer  with 40 amp hobby king blue series speed controller for the electronics package

The motor  is available from Robot Birds. The Renecle timer from RSM distribution.  (I use nothing but Renecles with great success) The batteries and ESC are from Hobby King UK"

The main points he seems to make are about the battery being too big and the timer being very fiddley 

Maybe I'm just over thinking it??

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »
Here ya' go Neil......electric Super clown maiden.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
Makes me want to get the package.  Yes, it does look like you are over controlling,  but also the plane looks fast.  Have you tried narrowing the handle spacing?  You can also try slowing the rpm. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48:47 AM »
Makes me want to get the package.  Yes, it does look like you are over controlling,  but also the plane looks fast.  Have you tried narrowing the handle spacing?  You can also try slowing the rpm. 
Felt a wee loose on the lines on less rpm. Going to make some shorter. Yes, I agree on over control. adjusted elev horn. Will test tonight.
I like it though. No clean up!
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Looks great to me!! Good job!! Can't wait for mine to arrive now, although I ordered a 60 foot line with it so maybe that won't work too good.

How long did it take to build? They say 5 hours but I doubt I'll manage that first time  ???

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
Looks great to me!! Good job!! Can't wait for mine to arrive now, although I ordered a 60 foot line with it so maybe that won't work too good.

How long did it take to build? They say 5 hours but I doubt I'll manage that first time  ???
Took me 5 hours, 39 minutes and 17 seconds.
Pretty straight ahead.
May take longer if first one.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »
Was flying the electric clown yesterday and had two real good flights after some trimming. Went for third flight and hooked up battery and fried my ESC. Did nothing different at all!.....
Kinda bummed about that but. Ordered another. Reckon I'll chalk this up to a shoddy esc and learning experience.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »
If the ESC smoked immediately when you plugged in the battery, sounds like you are right the the ESC was faulty. I presume this was a battery that you had used previously and that there is no way that you could reverse polarity. I think you should have called Brodak and checked if they would replace the ESC.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »
If the ESC smoked immediately when you plugged in the battery, sounds like you are right the the ESC was faulty. I presume this was a battery that you had used previously and that there is no way that you could reverse polarity. I think you should have called Brodak and checked if they would replace the ESC.
I sent a note letting them know. Put a 30 amp on to see if it worked....motor is fine. Not sure I want to fly it with a 30 amp as it calls for a 35 amp. Was the same battery so polarity was correct.
Thankee John.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:28 PM »
I'll aim for 5 hours 40 minutes then lol

Sorry to hear about the fry up. I'm sure I'll do much worse when nine arrives.  8)

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »
It's finally arrived!! After a week in customs in London and an extra import tax bill I finally picked her up yesterday.

Just getting all my bits and pieces together and reading over the instructions and I have a quick question for anyone who can help. They say I should use thin CA to fix the wing to the fuselage. However, in one of the many Utube videos I've watched I think I saw someone recommend epoxy for any major joints like this. It also recommends this for the stabiliser and rudder.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »
It's finally arrived!! After a week in customs in London and an extra import tax bill I finally picked her up yesterday.

Just getting all my bits and pieces together and reading over the instructions and I have a quick question for anyone who can help. They say I should use thin CA to fix the wing to the fuselage. However, in one of the many Utube videos I've watched I think I saw someone recommend epoxy for any major joints like this. It also recommends this for the stabiliser and rudder.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated

I used epoxy for sure.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 07:53:08 AM »
They may have been talking about 'tacking' the wing to the fuse, with CA. Once everything is lined up, it is easiest to CA a couple tack points to hold it all in place.  Then you can handle the assembly and tip it so you can run a bead of epoxy right into the grooves.  It usually takes me 2 nights to get all the beads in place .... mostly cause the first night I'll spend alot of time making sure the wing/stab is squared and straight with the fuse.  Hope this makes sense.

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
Thanks guys. Epoxy it is then.

Hope I glue the right bits to the right bits!  ;D

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
Sorry about this rambling thread but I've just checked over the kit and found that the motor mount is hanging on by a thread. Could have been damaged in transit, I'm not sure.

Similar question to before really. Should it be CA or epoxy used here? Or should it be reinforced even further? Just a bit worried as one of the videos showed the prop and motor deciding to leave the plane mid flight.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
Sorry about this rambling thread but I've just checked over the kit and found that the motor mount is hanging on by a thread. Could have been damaged in transit, I'm not sure.

Similar question to before really. Should it be CA or epoxy used here? Or should it be reinforced even further? Just a bit worried as one of the videos showed the prop and motor deciding to leave the plane mid flight.

I epoxied mine and beefed it up with some fiberglass. Go read the supplement with instructions about mounting the nose cowl. Very important to the strength of the nose. Explains why it is needed for strength.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
Fibreglass kit on the shopping list for tomorrow then. Don't have much of my 5 hours left and I haven't even started yet!  D>K

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
Well I have gotten to the point of attaching the wing on the Clown. So far I have managed to do the flaps and stab with thin CA and it all seems very good. I also epoxied and fibre glassed the motor mount as per Shugs suggestion, and I have to say I'm not enjoying working with epoxy. The first batch I made almost burnt my hand in the plastic cup! I now know I have to pour it into a flat surface to help stop the happening  ~^

My question is, the instructions say to use thin CA again for attaching the wing but almost every thread I've read has said you should always epoxy a major joint like this. I wondered if I could pick the brains of anyone who has an opinion on this please? Specially bearing in mind my poor epoxy skills.

One further point is about the epoxy. I got 15 minute mid cure from Brodaks when I ordered the kit. The instructions say to mix it 50/50 resin to hardener. However most things I've read mention much smaller percentages of hardener. Should I reduce the % of hardener and would that give me a more workable epoxy (it's very thick and hard to use), but would it also reduce the strength?

All help much appreciated, and needed!!  ???

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »
Well I have gotten to the point of attaching the wing on the Clown. So far I have managed to do the flaps and stab with thin CA and it all seems very good. I also epoxied and fibre glassed the motor mount as per Shugs suggestion, and I have to say I'm not enjoying working with epoxy. The first batch I made almost burnt my hand in the plastic cup! I now know I have to pour it into a flat surface to help stop the happening  ~^

I'm late to the thread.  My recommendation is to mix your epoxy on something flat.  Here in the US the credit card companies very helpfully send modellers lots and lots of perfect little epoxy mixing cards: they usually look like fake credit cards, but that doesn't matter.  I use those.

My question is, the instructions say to use thin CA again for attaching the wing but almost every thread I've read has said you should always epoxy a major joint like this. I wondered if I could pick the brains of anyone who has an opinion on this please? Specially bearing in mind my poor epoxy skills.

Use epoxy.  I'd get a longer cure time epoxy, if you can get it.  You don't have to buy epoxy at Brodak's: around here there's perfectly good 30 minute and 1 hour epoxy available from home stores.  I can't imagine that there's not some home store, craft store, hobby shop, or whatever that has just what you need.  If nothing else get your stuff mail order from inside the EU so it doesn't get stuck in customs!

Your epoxy skills will get better.

One further point is about the epoxy. I got 15 minute mid cure from Brodaks when I ordered the kit. The instructions say to mix it 50/50 resin to hardener. However most things I've read mention much smaller percentages of hardener. Should I reduce the % of hardener and would that give me a more workable epoxy (it's very thick and hard to use), but would it also reduce the strength?

All help much appreciated, and needed!!  ???

Epoxies get really unhappy if you don't mix them in the right ratio.  It's not like polyester resin where you can tune the setup time by how much promoter you put in: you need to mix it per the instructions.  If it's popping off too fast then get a slower mix.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »
One additional note: get a handful of the cheapest electric motors you can get in the right size, and if you want to go there, half a dozen spare motor shafts.  Far more than RC or free flight planes, control line airplanes tend to crash on the propeller or motor shaft, and electric motors have much more delicate shafts than infernal combustion engines do.  You'll be bending a lot more motor shafts than you ever would bend crankshafts with an IC plane; you may as well plan on it.

My wife is learning to fly control line right now, and is forcibly reminding me of this fact (and, I have motors and shafts on order from Hobby King!).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
My wife is learning to fly control line right now, and is forcibly reminding me of this fact (and, I have motors and shafts on order from Hobby King!).
mw~

Tim-
How can you be certain that she isn't secretly crashing your planes on purpose?! LOL! LL~
"I'll fix you and your 'Stupid F*****g Airplanes'!" Hahaha!
My wife used to call my sailplanes by this very adorable pet name.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
Thanks Tim. I'll do as you suggest.

I have ordered a lot of stuff from Hobby king and it's much cheaper but they didn't have any decent kits. Brodak seem to be best for that.

I actually noticed today that they have some very cheap Lipo's, at least compared to what I paid to Brodak. But I'm still so new to this that I'm not totally sure what effect it has on the plane by using different batteries and motors, or how to pair up the correct set up. More to learn I guess!!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
Thanks Tim. I'll do as you suggest.

I have ordered a lot of stuff from Hobby king and it's much cheaper but they didn't have any decent kits. Brodak seem to be best for that.

I actually noticed today that they have some very cheap Lipo's, at least compared to what I paid to Brodak. But I'm still so new to this that I'm not totally sure what effect it has on the plane by using different batteries and motors, or how to pair up the correct set up. More to learn I guess!!

First, remember that you can always ask here and someone will help you.

For batteries, pick the same number of cells, the same capacity (mAh rating) and a 20C discharge rate or higher (there is no standard for discharge rates, so manufacturers just say what they can get away with -- so if it's a Really High Quality manufacturer, you can get by with 15C).

For motors, it's kV and maximum current that matter.  Pick one that matches those and you should be OK.  If you can't find or don't trust the current rating, pick one that's the same physical size or the same actual weight (not shipping weight); that should get you close enough.

If that makes no sense, then just start a thread, say what motor and battery you have, and ask for suggestions for what's ultra-cheap.  Be sure to point out that you're a beginner and expect to crash a lot; this should hold down on the number of people who want you to buy top-notch stuff (you want to buy top-notch stuff eventually -- just not now).
AMA 64232

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:17 PM »
Cheers Tim.
Gotta admit I feel like a bit of a thicky but have really appreciated those who have taken the time to help me so far.

I bought the standard Brodak electric system for $175 (plus 30% for postage), mainly because I just wanted a system that I knew would work with the Super Clown. I know the motor is 1500kv and it says voltage is 7.2-14. The battery is 3S1P (no idea what the 1P means) 3300 mAH and 20C/1C by Arrowind.

I have absolutely no idea if that's all good, bad or indifferent, but it's what they recommend and from speaking to others with the same package it seems to work. Although I've heard some not so good things about the motor and the build quality.

Does this all sound like standard stuff that is easily found in cheaper forms?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 06:30:38 PM »
Cheers Tim.
Gotta admit I feel like a bit of a thicky but have really appreciated those who have taken the time to help me so far.

Of course you're buried in information right now.  Educated is what you expect to be coming out of school. 

I bought the standard Brodak electric system for $175 (plus 30% for postage), mainly because I just wanted a system that I knew would work with the Super Clown. I know the motor is 1500kv and it says voltage is 7.2-14. The battery is 3S1P (no idea what the 1P means) 3300 mAH and 20C/1C by Arrowind.

I have absolutely no idea if that's all good, bad or indifferent, but it's what they recommend and from speaking to others with the same package it seems to work. Although I've heard some not so good things about the motor and the build quality.

Does this all sound like standard stuff that is easily found in cheaper forms?

Starting with a known-good system is not a bad idea at all.

3S means that there are three cells in series.  1P means that there's one cell each in parallel (this is kind of old nomenclature, because there's a wider range of cells available now than there were -- but if someone were to build a six-cell pack that's a series string of three modules of 2 parallel cells each, it'd be a 3S2P pack.  Don't worry about it -- for anything that's a reasonable size for control line, everything will be 1P).

Yes, this all sounds like standard stuff.  You forgot to tell me that the max current for the motor was 35 amps, but I looked it up.  Then I looked on the Hobby King site and found this:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18226__Turnigy_D3536_5_1450KV_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

The kV is close, the max current is close -- it should certainly work well for a trainer, and it may even be enough for stunting if it lives that long.

This is the shaft: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20530__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_3536_Series_Replacement_Shaft_Set.html.

Here's a battery: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26766__Turnigy_3300mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html.
AMA 64232

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
Thanks Tim. And for once most of that makes sense!
And what a saving. The motor alone is massively cheaper. £11.83 (really cheap!) compared to the one I bought at £32 plus 30% postage. The battery is also about 30% cheaper. I bought 3 to get me started but I can stock up now that I know what to get.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time and help!

Cheers

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
You definitely get what you pay for -- but since you're going to start by running things into the ground at high speed, repeatedly, you may as well start out with the cheapest of the cheap.
AMA 64232

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 07:37:36 PM »
You definitely get what you pay for -- but since you're going to start by running things into the ground at high speed, repeatedly, you may as well start out with the cheapest of the cheap.

Well, it sounds like I'm going to get plenty of practise with the old epoxy then! Lol

Hopefully I can learn a little more economically than it sounds like your wife is doing!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Keep us posted, by the way.
AMA 64232

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »
I use a scale (in grams) to measure my epoxy.
MGS is expensive.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 12:21:08 AM »
Keep us posted, by the way.

Will do!

I use a scale (in grams) to measure my epoxy.
MGS is expensive.
R,
Chris

Hi Chris. I was thinking of doing this after being told to mix it on a flat surface but wasn't sure if it would work. I'll def give it a try. Cheers.

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »
Short term update. I measured out the epoxy (15) on a scale on a gmat plate and absolutely no problems at all. I got around 10-15 minutes workable time and (I hope) got the wing fixed to the fuse tonight. Measured from front of the wing to the fuse on both sides and same on the back and got within 1mm on each side before I could t move it any more.

Is this close enough?? Lol. Please say it is!!  #^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
The glue will work well enough, but you'll probably run out of hardener before you run out of glue -- my 30 minute epoxy glue is about 20% denser than the hardener; I expect that your 15 minute epoxy is the same.

Hobby epoxy is made to mix equal volumes, and to be tolerant of the mix not being exactly right.  They actually put filler in the hardener to make this so.  There are professional epoxies out there that are designed to be mixed by weight, and for which the mix is more critical.

Just squeeze out more or less equal amounts of goo from each bottle onto a card and mix it up -- it'll be way stronger than wood, which is all that you need.
AMA 64232

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »
You could probably weigh the bottles and come up with the mix by weight ratio.
I personally have been using my scale for even small batches of 5 and 15 minute epoxy in equal weights without problems. But Tim is right I end up with a small amount of one or the other left over, but it always cures.
I think the 1:1 epoxies are more tolerant. Mixing more than you need helps also. If you are off a little on a larger batch, it's a smaller percentage off the proper mix.
My oriental is also nearing completion. Wing and stab glued on....
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
I was looking at the Oriental for maybe my next one actually. What do you think of it so far re. quality/finish etc?

Yet another question. The box for the Super Ckown gives a list of additional items you need. One of them is baking soda. However, nowhere in the instruction manual does it ever mention baking soda. I did a bit of googling and it seems this can be used with thin CA as a gap filler. Am I right?

I do have some gaps between the songs and the fuse. Although it doesn't bother me too much I figure I should use this first build as a learning tool, so if this is right I might try filling the gaps. My further question is, if I am right, what's the best way to do it? Do I simply sprinkle the asking soda Ito the gap and then squeeze in the thin CA? Does a reaction then take place?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »
I do have some gaps between the songs and the fuse. Although it doesn't bother me too much I figure I should use this first build as a learning tool, so if this is right I might try filling the gaps. My further question is, if I am right, what's the best way to do it? Do I simply sprinkle the asking soda Ito the gap and then squeeze in the thin CA? Does a reaction then take place?

Backing soda tends to act as both a filler and a kicker for CA.  Different glues react differently to it -- the old "Hot Stuff" would practically catch on fire, and gave me a permanent sensitivity to CA glues.

Just about any fine powder will make a filler with CA, although most won't make it kick off the way baking soda will.  Any such thing suffers from the same drawback of CA itself: it's heavy and brittle.  Personally, if I were in a hurry and determined to use CA I'd make some long tapered wedges out of balsa (tapered maybe 1/16 inch per inch, or even less), shove them into the gap, and break them off.  Then I'd put on CA.  That keeps the heavy & brittle part to a minimum. 

Normally I would mix up some epoxy and microballoons until it's fairly stiff -- you reach a point where you have a putty with good adhesion, that's stronger than balsa, but that's way lighter than just epoxy.  But -- don't do it this time around!  Save it for when it makes sense to spend time building a plane.  You can also glue balsa into the worst-gapped parts and then re-fit the wing in the fuselage.  For what you have, that's another stupidly time consuming way to make a better plane than you need right now with time that you could spend flying (unless you have a lot of building time on your hands that can't be converted into flying time).
AMA 64232

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »
Thanks Tim.
The wing is already epoxied from yesterday so I don't think moving it is an option. It's going nowhere! Not until my first crash anyway.

Maybe I'll just wait until I mix the next batch of epoxy tomorrow to attach the stab and try to fill the gaps then. They actually aren't that bad, but as I know they are there I see them every time I look at it. Also have a bit if cleaning up to do to get some excess epoxy off the covering. It's a very messy business!

Out of interest, I've seen a lot of talk about centre of gravity. Again, the instructions don't seem to mention this. But I have noticed that the outside wing side is heavier than the inside. Is this normal or will this cause a problem?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »
Usually people mean fore and aft CG (your plans may call it "balance point).  I'm not sure where it should go on a Super Clown, but I'm guessing that it should be 15 to 20% of the wing chord back from the leading edge.  Meaning -- measure the distance from the leading edge to the back of the flap, and multiply by 0.2.  Now measure that distance back from the leading edge -- if the plane balances further back from that, you're in trouble.  If the plane balances more than half an inch in front of that, you may be in trouble (although the Super Clown may have a further-forward CG than I think -- hopefully someone who Actually Knows (TM) will speak up).

As to the side-to-side balance: the outside wing is supposed to be heavier, because you need to balance the weight of the lines.
AMA 64232

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
I was looking at the Oriental for maybe my next one actually. What do you think of it so far re. quality/finish etc?

No complaints on the quality of the covering or build.
I really only had two minor nags.

1. Bellcrank had the leadout wires running directly through the nylon bellcrank.
For me, my thought was, "If I DON'T change this, and I DON'T crash the plane, I'll be really bummed if I fly the @#$% out of the plane and that eventually creates a problem. So bummed, I would be. Truth is I will likely kill this thing before that could ever happen, especially now that I bushed the bellcrank!

2. I wasn't in love with the foam wheels supplied. But it had wheels at least. The tail wheel was so lopsided I was compelled to replace it.

Its a glow power assumed ARF. As such, its got things that if I were to build in a kit, I would change for electric for sure, and the plane would be lighter.
I didn't love the flat plate tail either.

Again, all of the above EXTREMELY MINOR! For the money, it is an incredible value, incredible.

I look forward to building my RSM Thunderbird II kit next, but I will have to decide BEFORE I start on it if it will be glow or electric. That way I can make it great if I convert it to electric.

IF you are like me, you might be better served by getting an "ARC" vice "ARF". Had I got that instead, I would have been much more likely to make some more major changes for the planned electric power system. I would have likely notched the wing LE inside the fuse and put a pass through in the fuse bulkhead forward of the wing. That way, the battery could have been moved back a bit for proper CG with a lighter tail, resulting in a much lighter RTF weight.
As it was, there was no sense in lightening the tail with the aft end of battery ahead of that bulkhead. I may have to add some tail weight as it is now.

All comments, none complaints. Its a pretty plane.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here