News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:09:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E-Flite Motors  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Tom Strom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
E-Flite Motors
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:48 AM »
I have a question on the E-Flite electric motors.  Is anyone using them?  And if not, why?  Not good, or too heavy, or wrong kv rating, or too expensive, or wrong size?  Just curious.  I see AXI and several others, but never any mention of the E-flite stuff.  If it is something that does not work, I would like to know that.  Thanks for your time.

Tom

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: E-Flite Motors
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
Well, I've not used one personally, but they are a little on the expensive side in the UK. But as far as their suitability I think Bob Hunt is going to use 2 of them in his twin (See thread in electric forum) and as far as recommendations are concerned it does not come much better than that.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
Tom,

I have them in four of my models and they work very well. I have two 32's, one 25 and one 480. I have the most run time on the 32's, one rear mounted on my tsunami for about a year and a full competition season. The other 32 is front mounted in my T33 with oh about 25 flights to date. They both are running on 5 cells and both using the APC 13-4.5 pusher prop. The 25 is also front mounted running and APC 12-6 pusher on 4 cells.

What I have found is that front mounting is the way to go, I just replaced the bearings in the rear mounted 32 because I was starting to get some play and magnet scraping. The bearing are very easy to replace and available from Boca Bearing for 14.00 dollars delivered. The front mounting does much better at balancing the flywheel effect as I call it, and I anticipate the bearings will last a long time.

I have had very good luck with them and recommend them as a great economical motor. As a side note most people running the axis's are finding the front mounting is the way to go. ECL just pulls way to many G's to mount the motors on the rear mount on all but say plettenberg motors.

Hope this helps

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »
Thanks Tim.  But now you have confused me.  Front mounted vs rear mounted.  I have a 480 on a small float plane and the 480 is mounted on an X that is mounted to the firewall.  Shaft out front.  How do you reverse that and mount from the front?

Tom

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
Tom,  go to the electric portion of this forum and start reading.  A lot of good info there. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
Tom,
front mount is pretty much just where the NON rotating part of the motor is forward, so your firewall bulkhead is in front of the motor. The shaft pushes through and now protrudes from the front of the stationary housing, you use a collet style prop adapter to mount your prop.so, the prop is on the front of the firewall bulkhead, the motor case is behind it.
creates a better balanced assembly when you are cranking the G forces to it, saves wear and tear on the motor bearings
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mark, it has been a few days. since I have been on.

One thing to add Tom, you will need to loosen the set screws that hold then shaft in the bell housing and push the shaft through to you can have enough shaft to month the prop collet. The shaft is in the bell pretty tight but a little tap of press or hammer will nudge it along.  n1 Guys please don't yell at me for the hammer comment, I know it is not the best way, but if your careful it works just fine.

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »
Depends on the size hammer you use.   I have a 5 pound ball peen hammer that will do the trick. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here