News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dyeing thunder tiger props  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Chris Belcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
dyeing thunder tiger props
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »
I'm putting this in the ARFS section because it's pretty cool if you have an arf nobler with the sapphire blue covering...or any plane with sapphire blue monokote...or any plane you want a blue prop on.
 A buddy said you could dye thunder tiger props so I got some black RIT dye at wal mart and went for it. Cleaned the props with denatured alcohol... brought the water (enough to cover) up to 145 deg. stirred in half a packet of the BLACK dye, drop in the props...wait 30 minutes and VOILA...SAPPHIRE BLUE PROPS! I don't know if i did them agian if they would turn BLACK or not but i guess the gray and black made this blue...and it is VERY close to the exact color of the monokote. Looks kinda weird really...the prop being the same color as the plane. Some may like it some may not.
 Oh...do this dyeing before any balancing as CYA does NOt take the Dye...if you use CA to balance like I do.

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
Re: dyeing thunder tiger props
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
Any pictures?

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »
I like it. Another way to make your plane unique.

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »
yeahhhh.some smart ass at the field the field the other day said "it looks just like the box"...and I said "uh uh...mine has a blue prop"!!!
I am goint to try dyeing another one more time and see if it goes black..someone said to add salt to the water....??

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
I've used RIT dye (crystals) to dye silkspan (yellow), clear dope (red), clear epoxy (red) and nylon propellers (black). Danny Dirt used RIT dye to dye plenty of APC props black, and they were really black, not blue. I've got to wonder if it was really blue dye that was mislabled or something like that. Or did you use the liquid dye? I've never used that, and I don't believe Daniel did. On the other hand, APC props are nylon/fiberglass, while Thunder Tiger props appear to be vinyl, based on the way they break when they break. Different!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
I'm thinkung the same thing... about the box being mis labled. It was the old school powder in the packets, not the liquid. One way to find out...I'll try another box. Bet it was really blue dye...not black.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
Leave it in the dye overnight and turn black.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here